Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Just back from a four night stay at this property.

The Good;
Staff is so friendly and helpful.One of the best staffs in a hotel I have ever encountered.
Daniel the concierge is great-what a charming and nice fella
The bed is incredible-the bath products are great.Room was kept very clean
The decor is very different-in a good way.And well maintained.
Free Internet in the lobby and the Mezzanine.
The not so good:
Everything you have to pay for is outrageously expensive-a small Voss water is $6,coffee and a tiny pastry $5.85,Internet $20 a day,the restraunt is crazy expensive as is the room service.The mini bar is outrageous.
NO COFFEE in the room
No free water in the room for plat's(I know this is not a published bennie-but c'mon)
The turndown is iffy-and not very extensive.

I was upgraded to a Fantastic corner"suite"(just a very large room)on the fith floor.Room was very quiet.Hotel was pretty busy.

I would stay here again just for the staff.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:49 am
Suspended

i think i am the only flyertalker that doesn't like this property. oh well.

from what i remember, if a staff member was nice, they were really nice. if they weren't nice, they REALLY weren't. not a lot of gray area.

but, i don't like W's anyway. i am a westin man, myself.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
FlyCoToSeeTheYanks-I do not think you are alone in that.
While i could appriciate the room-it was pretty badly thought out if you had to actually use the room for something besides a fun weekend.
While there is a nice desk-the lighting is poor over the workspace,
There is no place to have a meal in the room
The infamous toe stubber bed platform
The bench/coffee table facing the dresser-wonderful if I have to sit and ponder what to wear that night.
The huge amoire with three tiny drawers inside.
The enormous sofa-ummmmmm would be fun if I had that many friends to come over and play-but I don't
The tub is wonderful
The shower-welllllll it is hard to get really clean in it.
The club music 24x7-although it was MUCH better than the other w's I have been to.
Now My B'room could be closed off from the rest of the room with floor to celing curtains-could make for some fun shows

The Westin is coming along-finally!But I think you are still lookking at another year till it opens.
Old May 27, 2008, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
-a small Voss water is $6.
You are lucky, the one in my room today was $8.
Valet parking is $40. I parked o/n in an underground lot right behind the hotel for $18
Old May 27, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Just back from a four night stay at this property.

The Good;
Staff is so friendly and helpful.One of the best staffs in a hotel I have ever encountered.
Daniel the concierge is great-what a charming and nice fella
The bed is incredible-the bath products are great.Room was kept very clean
The decor is very different-in a good way.And well maintained.
Free Internet in the lobby and the Mezzanine.
The not so good:
Everything you have to pay for is outrageously expensive-a small Voss water is $6,coffee and a tiny pastry $5.85,Internet $20 a day,the restraunt is crazy expensive as is the room service.The mini bar is outrageous.
NO COFFEE in the room
No free water in the room for plat's(I know this is not a published bennie-but c'mon)
The turndown is iffy-and not very extensive.

I was upgraded to a Fantastic corner"suite"(just a very large room)on the fith floor.Room was very quiet.Hotel was pretty busy.

I would stay here again just for the staff.
I agree completely with this assessment, the staff was super and I really liked my room when I was there. Also the No Coffee/No free water is pretty much SOP at Ws they always have that "what do I have to do to get a cup of coffee" thing in the room directing you to downstairs.

I guess Ws are either a likem or hate them thing, I do wish they would copy the "westin wakeup", that would make W's perfect IMO.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by ryan182
Also the No Coffee/No free water is pretty much SOP at Ws they always have that "what do I have to do to get a cup of coffee" thing in the room directing you to downstairs.

I guess Ws are either a likem or hate them thing, I do wish they would copy the "westin wakeup", that would make W's perfect IMO.
Or, call whatever/whenever. They will set up a coffee machine in your room if that's what you want. It's about full service and more guest interaction. You won't find coffee machines at many upscale properties like St Regis or Ritz Carlton. You call.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Or, call whatever/whenever. They will set up a coffee machine in your room if that's what you want. It's about full service and more guest interaction. You won't find coffee machines at many upscale properties like St Regis or Ritz Carlton. You call.
Ha, you know it does say call whatever/whenever, but I always took that as "call room service and we'll gladly send you a $12 pot of coffee" not call and we'll bring you a machine.

Guess I'll do that next time!
Old May 30, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
The card in the room at the W in Dallas, pointed you in the direction of free coffee in the Living Room, but did mention that a coffee maker could be brought up if you wanted. At the W in Dallas, the coffee was free in the morning.

The W in Montreal could also offer free coffee, which would be appreciated, and they could be a little more clear in the fact that a coffee maker could be brought up.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Mini Trip Report

I just spent 3 nights here this past weekend with 2 friends. I redeemed starpoints.

Overall impression: Very good!

The people on the trip turned from 2 to 3 soon before we left. I e-mailed the hotel asking for either a room with two beds (I had originally just booked one) or a roll-away should the former not be available. While in EWR waiting to board my AC flight on Friday, the manager called me (!) and very professionally said that I had been upgraded to a Mega room with two beds - and is there anything else I needed? ^

The lobby was DARK. I mean - I understand the whole "dimly lit" W vibe, but I mean it was practically pitch black in there. Check in was very simple and the staff was friendly. The concierge, Daniel, was fabulous and had our weekend plans ironed out in just a few minutes.

The room was very large but not a suite. Massive bathroom with a gorgeous rain shower and huge jacuzzi tub that could comfortably fit two people.

Room service was a massive rip-off. We ordered 3 (three) cocktails and had them brought up and it was $65.

Location is good but not great. Nothing really immediately around the hotel (a great bagel/breakfast place just up the street though), but it's a very easy walk to more fun areas. Also the Square-Victoria metro stop is right there.

The bars and restaurants in the hotel seemed nice but we never really went there. There's just so many in Montreal that it seemed a waste to hang out at the hotel.

Definitely a great place to stay in an amazing city. Just don't bother with room service. Or the mini-bar for that matter. The $90 oxygen canister was more comical than useful.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
One thing I would like to add is to check your creditcard statement after you check out!

I was charged for 2 bottles of the very expensive VOSS water that I did not consume! I decided to go for the Chateau d'eau St Laurent from zee tap instead of what was offered which is not complimentary even to Plat members I might add!

Am trying to get my $28 bucks back, which is turning into a bit of a chore!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I was charged for 2 bottles of the very expensive VOSS water that I did not consume! I decided to go for the Chateau d'eau St Laurent from zee tap instead of what was offered which is not complimentary even to Plat members I might add!
I agree, even 2 bottles of water as an SPG Plat would have changed my opinion of my recent stay from great to excellent.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by nroscoe
I agree, even 2 bottles of water as an SPG Plat would have changed my opinion of my recent stay from great to excellent.
Free VOSS is the only real benefit I can think of being a W the card holder...you

I rank W Montreal one of my favs among all Ws I've visited. Their Wow suite and the entire concierge team members are just wonderful.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Big fan of the W Montreal.. its basically my second home.. VERY friendly staff, etc etc.. however..has anyone else experienced REALLY long wait times for drinks at Wunderbar (on the 2nd floor)? Its a great spot to get a cocktail after a long day, but the bartenders are incredibly slow. Like I waited 15 minutes for my Singapore Sling (which was delicious btw).. and the place was empty. This happened for every round over my 2 day stay.

Also- just curious if anyone has ever been to the main bar (forgetting the name).. it was absolutely THE place to be this past Wednesday night.. when I came back late at night, there was a line around the block, bouncers, promoters and lots of hot Montrealers.. I wasn't in the mood to "club", but will they let hotel guests in or do they wait like everyone else?
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by pitbrian
Also- just curious if anyone has ever been to the main bar (forgetting the name).. it was absolutely THE place to be this past Wednesday night.. when I came back late at night, there was a line around the block, bouncers, promoters and lots of hot Montrealers.. I wasn't in the mood to "club", but will they let hotel guests in or do they wait like everyone else?
The main bar has very yummy drinks. Yummmmmm

You will be able to get in without staying in line as a hotel guest. Or, if you have hot girls with you, you'll be IN

It's a very small bar though....not very many tables but awesome design. I was there for New Years.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:48 am

Always check you bill at this Hotel they have a habit of chargeing the wrong amounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.