Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:51 am

The Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa

Has anyone stayed at this property? I have a reservation for this weekend and it's not one of the hotels in the master thread.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 2, 2008 at 10:24 am Reason: Merged unedited into existing thread found by BlissWorld
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K, Hertz PC
I had a one night stay a few months ago. There were no Platinum benefits besides the amenity choice, and my request for the best available room yielded only a standard room on a higher floor than they had pre-assigned. I am used to getting no Platinum benefits at Westins, so I wasn't real surprised. That is why I choose Sheraton over Westin whenever possible.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
I have stayed at this property a number of times. Primarily on the weekends. I've been upgraded to a suite about 70% of the time. This hotel is in a commercial area, so there are a lot of weekday business travelers that stay here. I'm sure that because capacity is lower on the weekends that's why I usually receive upgrades. On occasion, you will find a wedding or other formal event here on the weekend.

There are a wide variety of restaurants in the immediate area, including a great deli across the street with a 10 page menu, South Coast Plaza just over the walking bridge (very large mall), close to Newport Beach, nice gym overlooking the pool, bartender that has personally created the martini list. Probably the best perk at this hotel is the Lincoln Town Car that will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius for a tip to the driver. If I remember correctly, the bellman that drives the car in the evenings is named Kevin.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by socalplat
I have stayed at this property a number of times. Primarily on the weekends. I've been upgraded to a suite about 70% of the time. This hotel is in a commercial area, so there are a lot of weekday business travelers that stay here. I'm sure that because capacity is lower on the weekends that's why I usually receive upgrades. On occasion, you will find a wedding or other formal event here on the weekend.

There are a wide variety of restaurants in the immediate area, including a great deli across the street with a 10 page menu, South Coast Plaza just over the walking bridge (very large mall), close to Newport Beach, nice gym overlooking the pool, bartender that has personally created the martini list. Probably the best perk at this hotel is the Lincoln Town Car that will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius for a tip to the driver. If I remember correctly, the bellman that drives the car in the evenings is named Kevin.
I'm not a plat or even a gold.... yet so I assume these are only plat benefits? I'm from So Cal but am rarely down there these days. Any recommendations for dinner spots with the girlfriend for Saturday night that aren't over $50-$75 for 2?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:20 pm

The town car is available to anyone staying at the hotel.

For restaurants, I would recommend Newport Beach. There are a lot of restaurants on PCH. Most are reasonably priced and have a view of the water. You can find seafood, sushi, steak, chinese, just about everything. PCH is about a 10 minute drive from the hotel.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:39 pm

Thanks. Is there any free overnight parking in the area? One of my pet peeves is paying for parking in So Cal outside of LA. So much space around and to charge ~$20 for self-park is ridiculous. I don't care what brand of hotel it is.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:47 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by JohnDunn
I'm not a plat or even a gold.... yet so I assume these are only plat benefits?
Hi JohnDunn,

The answer is yes. But to be exact, upgrades depend upon availability during check in. For more details on that, you may like to visit spg.com and look for the terms & conditions.

Welcome to the SPG family! Have a refreshing stay at our hotels.

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by JohnDunn
Thanks. Is there any free overnight parking in the area? One of my pet peeves is paying for parking in So Cal outside of LA. So much space around and to charge ~$20 for self-park is ridiculous. I don't care what brand of hotel it is.
Because the hotel is in Irvine/Costa Mesa, they are pretty strict when it comes to street parking. The only free parking would be across the street at the mall but I don't think they allow overnight parking.

There's a large self-parking garage next to the hotel that shares spaces with the surrounding office buildings. On the weekends it's pretty much empty. Paying for parking is also one of my pet peeves but it's one of those necessary evils. Many hotels here in the US will give you points for the amount paid for parking if you charge it to your room. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:01 am

Programs: BBC World News
Also, it has the most ridiculously overpriced business center ever. 49 cents to print one b & w page. Self serve! What I get done for 20$ elsewhere costs me 50$ there.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Stayed there over two weeks ago. I felt it was ok but was very bothered by the hefty parking fee. Proximity to a nice mall and the airport were the main pluses.

I thought about parking across the street by the mall, but wasn't sure if its ok to do that.

Rooms were very basic. Housekeeping was absolute disaster. I had to make a call to request for the basic and standard items which should have been placed in the room at the first place. I felt it was intentional as every time I asked for an item (like soap, coffee, complementary water bottle, etc.) I was expected to handout a tip!!!

If I'm back to the area, I would only stay here again because it's a Starwood.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I have had ~4 stays at this hotel as a Platinum in the past two years. Never once received an upgrade of any kind.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:58 am

I checked in Saturday evening around 5:30pm. Being that I was somewhat familiar with the area (I used to work near there about 5 years ago) I opted to go on the cheap and park in one of the neighboring garages instead of incur the ~$18 per night Valet charge. The garage over by the TGI Friday's, about a block away is free Saturday after 6pm until Monday morning. It worked out well for my stay.

As for the hotel itself. The room was nice and clean and check-in took about 90 seconds. I am a Preferred Guest and received a 10th floor room with a nice view but nothing special. The bed was comfortable and I had not complaints. The TV was very nice. Downgrade for having such a nice LG with no HD.

My only complaint was the $5 for 10 minutes of internet which has already been outlined here. There was wi-fi but the signal was not very strong from my room so I didn't use it. It was $9.95 per 24 hours. I'd stay there again if I needed a hotel in the area. With AAA rate my room was $130. I noticed during the week the rates are $200+
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I have stayed at this property 5 times the last year or so.

Here are some pros and cons:

Pros
Price - usually this property costs between 119-139
Pool - nice pool with decent prices for drinks
Work out facilities - top notch equipment
Rooms - The rooms have just been renovated and are nice. Complimentary Panna water on Preferred guest floors

Cons
Parking - Self Park is 18 bucks, outrageous for the area. No point paying even more for valet, they use the same garage you park in and it's 1 minute away from the hotel. Thank you for the tip, JohnDunn. ^^
Upgrades - only scored an "upgrade" once as Plat at this property. And this was after complaining to the manager after 4 strike outs. The "upgrade" was two connecting rooms, one which was not updated...
Internet - confusing and pointless policies about who pays for internet. If you are staying in a Deluxe room, internet is free. All other rooms (including "suites") you have to pay for internet.
Temperatures - During the winter the lobby and bar is freezing cold. The moron valet guys keep opening the side doors instead of making people use the revolving doors.
Lounge - No lounge at a typical business hotel
Service - below average service and strange policies makes this property annoying.

Conclusion: Starwood will not win my business, Hyatt Huntington Beach is my new home in this area. Well worth the USD 70 more a night
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:57 am

Upgrades - only scored an "upgrade" once as Plat at this property. And this was after complaining to the manager after 4 strike outs. The "upgrade" was two connecting rooms, one which was not updated...
Internet - confusing and pointless policies about who pays for internet. If you are staying in a Deluxe room, internet is free. All other rooms (including "suites") you have to pay for internet.

wow...so its better off for plats to request deluxe room to have free interent use?? thats pretty crazy! has anyone stay at this property recently? any improvements in terms of plat treatment?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:05 am

Parking at Westin SCP

We're going to stay this weekend. Anyone know whether the lot by TGIF charges on Friday nights? Any other suggestions on where to park overnight to avoid the hefty parking fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.