Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Platinum
My recent experience was similar. Poor Platinum recognition and rooms badly needing an update (which I think is due this year sometime). There were at least 5 Jr. Suites for sale on spg.com when I checked in but I was not offered any upgrade. Since I was traveling by myself and flying out early, I didn't bother to push for it.

When I entered my room, there was a rotten smell coming from the bathroom. Sure enough, someone had dropped a deuce in the toilet and it was still in there when I checked-in. A nice touch.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Recent stay over NYE for 3 nights

Since the has been no post in ages I'll provide an update.

I stayed here as mentioned for 3 nights in late December 2014- 2015 and decided to park the car at South Coast on the first night. On the second night there was a stand up sign mentioning theatre patrons to not park at the mall or risk towing. Rather than having my car towed somewhere into the desert I decided to cough up and pay the $24 a night self park for the next two nights.

The rooms are somewhat ordinary and nothing special for a Westin. Being a Platinum I was not provided any upgrade and told that it was because the hotel was under renovation (floors 13-16). We were provided $12 per person x2 breakfast vouchers for Starbucks. It wasn't even a full service Starbucks. They had some kind of Sbucks cheaper quality automatic machine making Cappuccinos in the AM. I tried going up to floor 16 and noticed the floor totally stripped to bare cement. I tend to believe this property is all about the location and not much else. My visit was when the December Deep freeze was going on so no one was using the pool. Wifi during the stay was quite slow during peak periods 7-10 pm at night and 7-9 AM in the morning.

Our stay would be rated a generous 3/5 based on this hotel is so we though to be bare bones. There is a lobby bar (I don't drink $10+ drinks often) and also a very high end French Provence restaurant. The more I think about it I hope Westin is going to do a brand refresh as I think the Westin Brand is getting a bit old.

Doormen were always very pleasant and other staff were okay nothing earth shattering amazing memorable. Good thing I used points or I'd be pissed to pay $200 a night for this semi-un impressive experience.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greenlotus
Since the has been no post in ages I'll provide an update.

I stayed here as mentioned for 3 nights in late December 2014- 2015 and decided to park the car at South Coast on the first night. On the second night there was a stand up sign mentioning theatre patrons to not park at the mall or risk towing. Rather than having my car towed somewhere into the desert I decided to cough up and pay the $24 a night self park for the next two nights.

The rooms are somewhat ordinary and nothing special for a Westin. Being a Platinum I was not provided any upgrade and told that it was because the hotel was under renovation (floors 13-16). We were provided $12 per person x2 breakfast vouchers for Starbucks. It wasn't even a full service Starbucks. They had some kind of Sbucks cheaper quality automatic machine making Cappuccinos in the AM. I tried going up to floor 16 and noticed the floor totally stripped to bare cement. I tend to believe this property is all about the location and not much else. My visit was when the December Deep freeze was going on so no one was using the pool. Wifi during the stay was quite slow during peak periods 7-10 pm at night and 7-9 AM in the morning.

Our stay would be rated a generous 3/5 based on this hotel is so we though to be bare bones. There is a lobby bar (I don't drink $10+ drinks often) and also a very high end French Provence restaurant. The more I think about it I hope Westin is going to do a brand refresh as I think the Westin Brand is getting a bit old.

Doormen were always very pleasant and other staff were okay nothing earth shattering amazing memorable. Good thing I used points or I'd be pissed to pay $200 a night for this semi-un impressive experience.
thats why when I need to be in or close to OC I stay at Cerritos free parking just make sure you check the cement barrier that you arent in a limited parking spot, and its a Cat3
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by craz
thats why when I need to be in or close to OC I stay at Cerritos free parking just make sure you check the cement barrier that you arent in a limited parking spot, and its a Cat3
And it's possible to find BRG's for as low as $78.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Originally Posted by craz
Sheraton Cerritos is another 20-25 min further N. As you spend so much time in a car in SCal I'm not interested in staying here unless spending time at Disney. It's just that much further from the beaches and action.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Update July 2015

Pinot Provence is closed. Hotel is offering breakfast, lunch and dinner in the lobby in the meantime. Apparently they are looking to put another restaurant in that space.

Room remodel seems to be progressing. Love the new showers and that bed table/desk lamps have USB and power outlets in them.

Sadly, parking is now $27 for self and $32 for valet. Highest of all hotels in the SCP area.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I stayed in a reno'd room a few weeks ago. Perfectly nice but still a notch below my gold standard for domestic Westin rooms, Dallas Galleria.

Water pressure in shower/sink was basically no-flow...I appreciate the conservation, but it was pathetic. I complained about it and they seemed surprised.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
I am going to stay here next weekend.
Is there any room that I should avoid for the renovation/water pressure issues?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ayase
I am going to stay here next weekend.
Is there any room that I should avoid for the renovation/water pressure issues?
Can't remember the room # - I was in your standard high-floor room, nothing special
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
I also have bad experience with the hotel frontdesk staff.

When I checked in, I received a room that someone has smoked inside. It took them like 20 minutes to find a new room for me, after I went back to the lobby and complained. This should totally be avoided, as housekeeping staff must realized the smoke smell during cleaning.

I was charged for 14.95 for internet access on my stay at check out.
As a Plat, premium internet should be complimentary.

When I checked out, the hotel staff did not told me there is an extra charge besides the prepaid room rate and did not offer a receipt. Hence I also assumed there was no extra charge. I did not know about the charge at all until I found out the folio in my email.

I can understand the internet charge can be caused by computer issue.
However this whole thing can be avoided if the frontdesk staff (1) told me the charge, OR (2) just printed me a folio. Because clearly she saw the extra charge when she checked out my room.

Parking: it is 29 self park now. However at night the garage gates are open. The mall parking is free and you can walk across on a nice skybridge, about 5 minute walk to hotel entrance.

Room: Nice new renovation, but shower water pressure is weak, and only 1 bottle of free Dasani water.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ayase
Parking: it is 29 self park now. However at night the garage gates are open. The mall parking is free and you can walk across on a nice skybridge, about 5 minute walk to hotel entrance.
As someone who works in one of the office buildings across the street from the Westin, and quite often walks over to South Coast Plaza (the mall) over said skybridge, I would *not* recommend parking at SCP. I see SCP security citing cars near the skybridge all the time. They're pretty strict about it.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Any recent experiences here?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG P100, DL PM
I have been staying here most weeks for the past year. Overall, I'm happy with the service and facility. It seems the front desk has improved compared to previous posts as I generally find them very pleasant and helpful with decent plat recognition of exec room upgrades and snacky amenities, although suite upgrades are very rare.

Most of the rooms have been renovated and the showers are much better. There have been some small issues like being double-charged parking twice and once double-charged for a meal but front desk was always quick to correct and apologized with 500 points.

I find this a standard, perhaps above average domestic Westin.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:49 am

Can anyone tell me the difference between the DeLuxe King Rooms and the Executive Rooms? I've reserved an Executive Room because it was larger but, whenever I go to the booking I am asked if I want to upgrrade to a DeLuxe Room. I'm not understanding what the upgrade is.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:13 pm

I have an upcoming reservation booked out of necessity (refuse to stay with in-laws in Orange County when visiting!) and I'm really confused by the lack of coherence with regards to the structuring of rooms and rates at this property.

I'm told the exec rooms are the largest and most up-to-date, corner rooms, however they are located on every floor of hotel; so you could potentially end up in a large ground floor corner room half a block from the 405 and directly across the street from a TGI Fridays and shopping plaza... (to be fair, there's the Noguchi Garden too, but still.)

I'm told the deluxe rooms are smaller in overall size (disadvantage no. 1) and not situated in corner of building (disadvantage no. 2) but located exclusively on top 4-5 floors of building; so minimal street/traffic noise and 'optimal views', if you care about that sort of thing in the middle of wretched suburbia.

I currently have both room types reserved for a 4 night stay, and the Dlx room is about $17 more per night or $68 more overall... for a smaller room in a lousier floor location.

This booking is like playing Russian roulette and it makes no sense that I have to choose between these options... I can end up in a cheaper, larger, quieter corner room on a top floor with a bit of luck... or a more expensive, smaller, non-corner room on a top floor for a moderate premium.

Has anyone stayed at this property before and if so, would you kindly offer your thoughts and feedback? I'm really not sure what to do but I'm leaning towards cancelling the deluxe room. The hotel obviously tries to upsell when I call to inquire, which is annoying and doesn't help me at all...

Last edited by OliverB; Oct 2, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.