Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
I was at the WSCP last weekend (we stay there 3-4+ times/year). We ended up grabbing a bite to eat at the mall across the bridge beforehand (South Coast Plaza), and decided to just leave the car there and walk to the hotel. (yeah, I'm cheap like that.) Ended up with a warning on the car from the mall cops, but did save $20. Don't know if I'll do it again next time or not, but I was happy about the no parking fee thing.

Overall good stay at the Westin. We like it (mostly because of its location), and the night was as expected. One bonus; I made a side comment to Mrs. TriNorm as we were checking in "sorry honey, we didn't get a suite" and one of the other staff (TriDuong; presumably his really name and not a reference to triathlons) behind the desk heard me and told me he'd see what he could do. Ended up with a 2-room suite. Nothing phenomenal, but the above and beyond was very nice. (gave him one of those plat recognition things as I happened to have them with me - still don't know whether they're worthwhile.)

Norm
Old May 27, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
I think the hotel is ok right now but if they don't renovate within the next 5 years or so it will be outdated. Apart from being on the cusp of being outdated the Wifi does not work.

I like the layout of the lobby / restaurant as well as the location.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Still rather perturbed after my stay here last night. I have stayed here probobly 25+ times and usually rather happy with the experience.

This time the whole family was with me and so we booked 2 rooms hoping to put the kids (5 and 1) in a room and my wife and I in the adjoining room. I called ahead and spoke to the front desk and explained to them our desire for connecting rooms. (Of course deep down inside I was hoping for a suite upgrade and the connector next door! )

Upon checking in they were not able to find 2 adjoining rooms after searching for a couple minutes and told me no suites were available. I explained how important it was to me and that I had called ahead to convey that message. The agent told me all the connecting rooms had people staying multiple nights in them. Serious? Come on .. this property has almost 400 rooms. But she did tell me that she could get me rooms close together!

Needless to say, the wife and I had to split up and each take a kid.

I guess I expected that they would preassign me connecting rooms as a courtesy as SPG Plat and as a loyal customer with so many past visits.

Otherwise, the rooms are nice, the location is great, the gym is nice and the pool is sufficient. It was just hard to remember all that after the poor experience checking in. Oh well ..
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
Good stay

I believe I stayed at this property the same night as runfromthefire. I, however, did manage to snag a suite (although now I feel guilty about it as it was just myself and the wife).

Check-in went smoothly, they had upgraded me to a pool view room on a high floor (whatever); when asked they dug up the aforementioned suite for me. (for those that haven't been here the suites are really just adjoining rooms - one made up as a normal bedroom, the other as a living room. Nothing to write home about, but the additional space can be handy.)

The stay itself was good; spent a bit of time at the pool, a bit of time at the bar, no issues at either. A previous poster mentioned issues with wireless; no problems there (at least in the room - there isn't coverage at the pool).
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TriNorm
I was at the WSCP last weekend (we stay there 3-4+ times/year). We ended up grabbing a bite to eat at the mall across the bridge beforehand (South Coast Plaza), and decided to just leave the car there and walk to the hotel. (yeah, I'm cheap like that.) Ended up with a warning on the car from the mall cops, but did save $20. Don't know if I'll do it again next time or not, but I was happy about the no parking fee thing.
Was your car left at the mall lot overnight?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Problems with extra charges added after chckout.

I have been staying regularly at this property for the past 6 months-usually on weekend nights. I sometimes stay on on some sort of package rate that includes parking and some other nice perks

The last four stays I have noticed extra charges posted to my credit card after I have recieved my check out folio. This last stay had an extra $33.62 erroneously charged to my CC. I call the hotel and it is adjusted but I have to wonder how many folks do not check their credit card statements and have had extra charges slipped onto their bills.

A real pain to be sure and I have to wonder if it is really an "Honest mistake" since it has happened with such regularity.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
The last four stays I have noticed extra charges posted to my credit card after I have recieved my check out folio.
What kind of charges have you seen? Mini bar, restaurant?
Yes, I would be pissed off if this becomes regular occurrence at the same hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by runfromthefire
Still rather perturbed after my stay here last night. I have stayed here probobly 25+ times and usually rather happy with the experience.

This time the whole family was with me and so we booked 2 rooms hoping to put the kids (5 and 1) in a room and my wife and I in the adjoining room. I called ahead and spoke to the front desk and explained to them our desire for connecting rooms. (Of course deep down inside I was hoping for a suite upgrade and the connector next door! )

Upon checking in they were not able to find 2 adjoining rooms after searching for a couple minutes and told me no suites were available. I explained how important it was to me and that I had called ahead to convey that message. The agent told me all the connecting rooms had people staying multiple nights in them. Serious? Come on .. this property has almost 400 rooms. But she did tell me that she could get me rooms close together!

Needless to say, the wife and I had to split up and each take a kid.

I guess I expected that they would preassign me connecting rooms as a courtesy as SPG Plat and as a loyal customer with so many past visits.

Otherwise, the rooms are nice, the location is great, the gym is nice and the pool is sufficient. It was just hard to remember all that after the poor experience checking in. Oh well ..
WHEN did you call ahead? That morning? The day before? 6 months earlier?

If the connecting rooms are booked they're booked. (Keep in mind only ONE of the connecting rooms booked in a pair blocks it.) That could happen at any point, but more likely if you are calling in the morning than if you are calling weeks or months earlier.

The best way to handle this sort of thing is by calling for the original reservation and making it contingent on adjoining rooms. Be sure that's in a confirmation e-mail.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by CIT85
Yes, I would be pissed off if this becomes regular occurrence at the same hotel.
No itemized list,,, Just additional charges(usually parking-which is included in the rate)this is a lot more than the parking
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I wish someone from Starwood would train this property how to see special requests in the reservation system.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
This hotel is going to the dogs. After breaking down on my commitment never to stay at this property again we did so over the Christmas weekend. First, no upgrade at checkin until requested; then, an almost useless internet speed... but, the biggest peeve to me is the dogs! I know that they want to be "Pet Friendly" which is probably the only way they are getting new business, but this is nuts. We saw perhaps 8 or 9 dogs just during the few times that we walked through the lobby to/from our room. The best one was seeing two dogs SITTING AT A TABLE at the lobby bar/restaurant area just inside the front doors. No, not sitting under the table or next to the table but on a chair up to the table. How can that be acceptable?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CIT85
Mini bar. Me as well. Removed when I followed up, but I shouldn't have to.

Originally Posted by chuckisduck
This is the only hotel where I have been asked to show my id for my rate.
Ditto.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:27 pm
oc1

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K.
We've had mixed stays at this property - very rarely an upgrade (out of probably 200+ nights stayed here).

But they did fit us in recently when they were overbooked - a last minute reservation.

Have not seen the dogs...that would concern me about getting a good night's sleep.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:31 pm

This hotel is OK but the laundry rates are extortionate: $30 to clean 1 pair of pants! The St. Regis 30 mins away does it for $15, crazy!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.5MM, SPG-Plat, HH-Gold, PC-Platinum
terrible plat recognition, actually no recognition. No upgrade at all. 12 dollar breakfast voucher is only good at starbucks not able to use at the restaurant. unbelievable. Room itself is ok but closer to a nice Sheraton than a Westin. First and last time at this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.