Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thumbs down Declining

I've had several stays here, and based on my half dozen stays I'll say if you are an SPG Gold or Plat this hotel does the BARE minimum in terms of offering perks and upgrades.

I think it's pretty crappy when the hotel emails you ahead of your stay with a "special offer" to upgrade to a Jr Suite for $75 more, yet does not offer such upgrades to Plats at time of check-in.

Most recent stay: there used to be 2 bottles of Pana water complementary for SPG members or those on the Executive Floor, now it's just 1 bottle of Nestle water. Bathroom (in need of renovation) amenities such as shower gel, mouthwash, and razor are "by request" only. 4PM checkout granted, but keys not coded for that, so extra trip to front desk day of checkout.

As mentioned, parking is now $20 for self-parking. No park & fly packages, unlike other SNA airport hotels.

On the positive side, the shuttle service to the airport, South Cost Plaza and businesses within a mile or two of the hotel is complementary and thse guys do a good job running it upon request. Also, not sure if this is new, but the hotel gave me 1 day of free internet access or just an amenity for a "deluxe" room? Either way, internet was down hotel-wide the morning of my departure.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: Free Agent
I stay at the hotel several times a year and rather like the hotel. I've never been pre-upgraded, but when I ask for a Park view room (no freeway noise), it's always been granted. Never given a suite or corner room, but usually upgraded to a "deluxe" room, which offers a free bottle of water and Internet.

When I last stayed in a standard room, I accidentally opened what I thought were two bottles of complimentary water. The next morning, I realized that they were $5.50 each. Oops! When I checked out, I mentioned that I drank two bottles of water, and was informed that Plats were allowed both bottles for free. Phew!

The hotel might want to advertise Plat benefits though.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Looks like the reviews on this Westin are mixed at best.

Trying to figure out the difference between a traditional room and a deluxe room. Is it just the complimentary water and internet or are the rooms actually bigger?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, NW, US
Minimal effort for this Platinum

Stayed two nights. I think I'll try one of the other SPG properties in the area next time. I got the aforementioned complimentary bottle of water (plus two extras requested at check-in) and free internet. That's nice, especially the free internet, but the "deluxe" room was nothing special. Looks identical to other King rooms. I asked about a coupon for breakfast given that they do not have a lounge, and the answer was a flat "no, we don't do that".

Given the high rate (not very competitive for the area), expensive breakfast, and the paucity of platinum amenities, I would recommend staying somewhere else where the treatment for Platinums is more typical of most SPG properties, and frankly shows more appreciation for our loyalty to Starwood. .
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:43 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I stayed once at this property in the early 2000's and was quite impressed. I returned last year and was sorely disappointed.

No discernible Plat bennies, no lounge, chipped furnishings, bathroom from the 80's, and they use the dreaded motion-sensor HVAC system. Also, there was a note from the manager explaining they were cutting back room service.

The only thing going for this ppty is its location to South Coast Plaza. If that's not your priority, choose somewhere else.

Seriously.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:59 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Wow, I'm glad I checked this thread... this property doesn't look too appealing. They have some decent rates this weekend after the holiday, the Bloomingdale's shopping rate looks like a decent deal with a $100GC and valet parking at SCP included for $209... but the $20 for parking seems steep with the huge parking lots at SCP right across the street (agree no one should pay for parking in OC!). Has no one ever parked there overnight? I find it hard to believe they go through the trouble of clearing that huge lot every night.

I've parked in the WSCP structure for dinner at Pinot and the theater, so I know the gates are up at night. Anyone have any idea what time they start to man the booth there?
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think it's pretty crappy when the hotel emails you ahead of your stay with a "special offer" to upgrade to a Jr Suite for $75 more, yet does not offer such upgrades to Plats at time of check-in.
I think offering a Jr. Suite upgrade for a fee to an SPG Platinum member is insulting and downright offensive.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:32 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Wow, I'm glad I checked this thread... this property doesn't look too appealing. They have some decent rates this weekend after the holiday, the Bloomingdale's shopping rate looks like a decent deal with a $100GC and valet parking at SCP included for $209... but the $20 for parking seems steep with the huge parking lots at SCP right across the street (agree no one should pay for parking in OC!). Has no one ever parked there overnight? I find it hard to believe they go through the trouble of clearing that huge lot every night.
I received a warning ticket for parking in the SCP lot overnight.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by JonathanIT

I've parked in the WSCP structure for dinner at Pinot and the theater, so I know the gates are up at night. Anyone have any idea what time they start to man the booth there?
I think last time when I stayed there, the man is gone around 11pm, then return around 6-7am in the morning.

I was not very impressed with the level of service there too. No upgrades, no lounges and they seems like they don't really care if you are there or not to give them business.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
I've stayed at the Westin SCP twice this year - they end up having decent rates using AAA discounts from time to time. Nothing special, but nothing to complain about. I've been upgraded both times (from what I can tell, same room as standard, but on SPG floor with high (10'+ ceilings)), and last time they sent up a bottle of champagne and strawberries (I mentioned that it was our anniversary when we checked in.) I should add that I was gold during all my stays there.

Overall, I actually like the place. I prefer the Westin in Long Beach, but price-wise South Coast Plaza tends to be a better deal.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:27 am

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
A Few Comments - And I Had A Lot Of Good Times At This Hotel Pre-2010

I used to stay at this hotel at least 5-7+ times a year and could count on nice courtesy upgrades for my platinum status as well as a discounted breakfast. In 2010, the breakfast courtesies went "bye-bye". BUT, this was a blessing in disguise as I discovered that Jerry's Deli delivers to the hotel. The manager at Jerry's is named "June". If possible, try to have her assist you with your breakfast order and tell her "theguyfromsocal" and his two kids she gives the milkshakes to sent you over there.

The upgrade success rate (and quality of upgrades) have gone a bit downhill as well. There is a very nice front desk manager there named "Tree". A classy guy.

Last edited by theguyfromsocal; Jan 11, 2011 at 1:37 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Sorry to hear this property doesn't have a history of rewarding Platinums - my stay during the weekend of Oct 1 will be my first hotel stay with SPG after making platinum.

I selected the Westin on the trip specifically because I thought they were nicer properties and wanted to experience what differences a Platinum can expect ... hopefully, I'll report back a good experience.

and I'll definitely look up Jerry's deli and refer to you theguyfromsocal - thanks for the tip.

Vincent
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by pindento
I selected the Westin on the trip specifically because I thought they were nicer properties and wanted to experience what differences a Platinum can expect ... hopefully, I'll report back a good experience.
LOL! Better lower your expectations now.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:38 pm

Probably be staying here in a couple of weeks...parking isn't free here? You can't be serious...and $20...that's even more of a joke
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
any updates on the few recent 'upcoming trips'? wondering if they made any improvements in 2010??
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by arthur -- flyer wanna be
any updates on the few recent 'upcoming trips'? wondering if they made any improvements in 2010??
I'll report back in a couple of weeks...staying there the weekend of the 10/22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.