Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Avis First
I was sincerely disappointed in my stay at the Lemerigot.

This is at best a stock Marriott class hotel, not JW.

This is a franchise property, and I honestly don't know why Marriott lets them fly the JW flag.

I haven't stayed at that Ritz, but I'd wager it's got to be much better.

-Josh
Old Nov 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

Choose the JW Live Marriott downtown or the Ritz Carlton @ LA Live. Both are miles ahead of these hotels in accommodations. Additionally,the LA Live area has tons of restaurants and entertainment venues by the hotels. The Ritz is actually atop the JW Marriott. Wonderful hotels!!!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Thanks

Thanks to all for your feedback. I did choose Le Merigot for location (access to the beach) and the existence of a spa (apparently, a spa will be opening at RC Marina del Rey after the first of the year, but RC refers guests to Le Merigot). As many of you suggested, it was a nice property, but very consistent with a FS Marriott property. I was upgraded to a junior suite with balcony; however, I was a little disappointed with the balcony (no chairs, small, high walls), but the service was very good and all of my requests were met. The spa was very lovely and reasonable (thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary eucaplytus steam!). As a Plat, I was given vouchers for breakfast (weekdays only), for $15 each for myself and my guest, which is a little low given the menu prices (no buffet), but the food and service was very good. Parking was a little steep ($35/day), but somehow, I was not charged for each day. Bottled water provided by the valet was a nice touch. The conceirge was also very helpful in arranging paddleboarding lessons nearby for a fair price, including equipment rental.

Overall, I would stay there again, but not for $350-400/night. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kit125
Thanks to all for your feedback. I did choose Le Merigot for location (access to the beach) and the existence of a spa (apparently, a spa will be opening at RC Marina del Rey after the first of the year, but RC refers guests to Le Merigot). As many of you suggested, it was a nice property, but very consistent with a FS Marriott property. I was upgraded to a junior suite with balcony; however, I was a little disappointed with the balcony (no chairs, small, high walls), but the service was very good and all of my requests were met. The spa was very lovely and reasonable (thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary eucaplytus steam!). As a Plat, I was given vouchers for breakfast (weekdays only), for $15 each for myself and my guest, which is a little low given the menu prices (no buffet), but the food and service was very good. Parking was a little steep ($35/day), but somehow, I was not charged for each day. Bottled water provided by the valet was a nice touch. The conceirge was also very helpful in arranging paddleboarding lessons nearby for a fair price, including equipment rental.

Overall, I would stay there again, but not for $350-400/night. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.
Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Was at the RC about a month or so ago and I love it. Larry Bird got onto the elevator as I was getting off ~ so much for my brush with greatness.

Anyway, food at the RC is VERY good and the beds there are wonderful. Never done the Merigot but will continue to use this Ritz.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
JW Marriott Le Merigot Santa Monica - best way to receive ocean-view room?

Hello all,

I have a room reserved for this weekend at the JW Marriott Le Merigot Santa Monica. I reserved a Premiere Room, as this was the highest class of room type available on their website.

I'm visiting the hotel with a friend as a mini-getaway as a birthday gift for my companion. I have Platinum status with MR.

What can I do that will give me the best chance at an ocean-view, high-floor room? I tried visiting the Virtual Concierge, but the only upgrade they offered was a balcony room for an additional $100.

From other posts I've read here, sending an email to the GM might be in order. How can I find out the GM's email address? Is it as simple as calling the hotel switchboard and asking? Or should I make my request in the comments section of Virtual Concierge?

Usually my travel is for business, and when I do receive the occasional upgrade for being a Platinum member, I appreciate it, but never expect it. This trip is different, as it's a rare pleasure trip.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:58 am

Call the hotel & ask for the GM's name. Marriott email nomenclature is first name dot last name @ marriott.com (without the spaces & not actually typing dot of course!).

Don't mention you were offered a room at $100, just do the mini-getaway birthday gift & you'd greatly appreciate OCHF room if it is available, you're quite looking forward to your stay as you've heard great things about the hotel, etc.

Have fun!

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:58 am

Thanks much! I appreciate the insight - especially into the email address standards.

Of course I'd never mention what I saw on the website, particularly since the upgrade didn't mention my desired oceanfront location
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
As I'm sure you know, the property is not on the ocean or beach, but only a block or two away. Further, the architecture of the building is not conducive to ocean views. And even the balconies have high walls so that to enjoy whatever view (I think I once had a partial view of the ocean) you have to stand up to see the view over the wall. If it is as important to you as it sounds, you should call the hotel and speak to a manager; maybe the gm, or front desk manager, or room controller (if the property has one.)

Last edited by ohmark; Apr 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:55 am

I know the hotel is set back from the beach, but didn't know about the architecture and how it affects the view. Thanks for the heads-up.

Even with this, I'll keep the reservation. Shutters is too expensive, and if I were to venture south, the Beach House in Manhattan Beach doesn't have any availability for those gorgeous beachfront balconies.

I'm sure we'll enjoy the mini-getaway regardless of the room
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Marriott Platinum, Southwest RR
JW Marriott La Merigot Santa Monica Cat 8 Stay Coming Up: Reviews, Tips, Insight

I have a very special stay coming up at the JW in Santa Monica in March for one week. I have never stayed at this hotel, or in the area. I have walked the boulevard and seen the hotel, but would like to know more about expectations, rooms, service, amenities, lounge, food, spa, etc. Any guests with experience here I would appreciate the insight. Also, if anyone knows whom to contact for special requests I would appreciate that as well. I will post a review when I return from the hotel, so we have up to date thread on this Cat 8 hotel. Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if you had used the search function you would have found 3 existing threads on this prop with the info you're looking for..........

Originally Posted by bokeyes23
I have a very special stay coming up at the JW in Santa Monica in March for one week. I have never stayed at this hotel, or in the area. I have walked the boulevard and seen the hotel, but would like to know more about expectations, rooms, service, amenities, lounge, food, spa, etc. Any guests with experience here I would appreciate the insight. Also, if anyone knows whom to contact for special requests I would appreciate that as well. I will post a review when I return from the hotel, so we have up to date thread on this Cat 8 hotel. Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
if you had used the search function you would have found 3 existing threads on this prop with the info you're looking for..........
If you could be so kind as to post links to those three existing threads on this property with the info the OP was seeking, that would be great. I DID search and IMHO, the other very general threads (not specific to the hotel) did not answer the OP.

In response to the OP, this is one of my favorite hotels in the area. While the building does have some design flaws, there are a NUMBER of rooms that have a good view of the ocean. As stated, unfortunately the Sea Castle obstructs any unobstructed views, but there are several rooms with good views. Some have balconies, some do not. In my experience, this hotel treats Platinums and PP's very well. I have received numerous upgrades. The staff is always very eager to please and will switch you around if you want. As always, honey attracts more bee's than vinegar. I know that one of the front desk managers was very appreciative of my 'whatever you can do for us works, no pressure' rather than the DYKWIA attitude he states he gets from alot of people Also the customer service in my opinion excels at this hotel. Some other options to look at are Hotel Casa Del Mar, Malibu Inn (Carbon Beach), Loews (in massive refrub right now though)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
MOD has already merged the threads referred to, however had the OP used the search function (Merigot) before he posted the threads were very easy to locate and read, first before starting a new unnecessary new thread (that has now been correctly merged).........

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
If you could be so kind as to post links to those three existing threads on this property with the info the OP was seeking, that would be great. I DID search and IMHO, the other very general threads (not specific to the hotel) did not answer the OP.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl

In response to the OP, this is one of my favorite hotels in the area. While the building does have some design flaws, there are a NUMBER of rooms that have a good view of the ocean. As stated, unfortunately the Sea Castle obstructs any unobstructed views, but there are several rooms with good views. Some have balconies, some do not. In my experience, this hotel treats Platinums and PP's very well. I have received numerous upgrades. The staff is always very eager to please and will switch you around if you want. As always, honey attracts more bee's than vinegar. I know that one of the front desk managers was very appreciative of my 'whatever you can do for us works, no pressure' rather than the DYKWIA attitude he states he gets from alot of people Also the customer service in my opinion excels at this hotel. Some other options to look at are Hotel Casa Del Mar, Malibu Inn (Carbon Beach), Loews (in massive refrub right now though)
Thanks for the detailed info. Much more helpful than the do a search response that seems to be cropping up in many threads, with no other details provided other than the comment.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.