Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Merigot Santa Monica, CA (former JW) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by LPCJr
-- Even though it's a resort, I received a $15 credit for breakfast each day, without asking.

For a "Resort", the pool was kind of pitiful.
As noted earlier in this thread, the property is not listed as a resort by Marriott: "Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel and Spa, Santa Monica"

An additional note, this is the first fs Marriott/Ren property I've stayed at that didn't have wine or beer as one of the platinum amenity choices. (But made up for it by sending up to my room (unannounced) a full bottle of wine and a cheese plate for my birthday.)

Last edited by ohmark; Sep 27, 2006 at 9:57 pm
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by ohmark
As noted earlier in this thread, the property is not listed as a resort by Marriott: "Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel and Spa, Santa Monica"
You're absolutely right; I don't know why I had it in my head that it was a resort. I was probably equating "no lounge" with "resort."
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Santa Monica does have a homeless problem, and so while 'hotel row' is a great location you do sometimes have to pass by the 'locals'. I like LeM and am glad to hear it's as good as when I stayed there a few years ago.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:40 pm

I stayed there 2 nights soon after it became part of the Marriott family. The bartender told me that they were almost dead but the day they became part of Marriott the hotel was almost full every night and they had to quickly hire staff to handle the new found business.

My room on points was tiny - the view from the window was very poor (a small slice of beach) and there was only one desk chair to sit on. Would not go back because of it.

While there, we went next door to look at the Loew's and came out of there with hotel envy. When Marriott made it Cat7 I couldn't believe it. From the reviews here they must have made some improvements over what we saw but first impressions stick when they are bad.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pwrshift
While there, we went next door to look at the Loew's and came out of there with hotel envy. When Marriott made it Cat7 I couldn't believe it. From the reviews here they must have made some improvements over what we saw but first impressions stick when they are bad.
Marriott hotel categories are based on demand for award stays, and are not directly related to the quality of the facility. The Loews next door is very nice indeed, as is the Shutters hotel down the street. However, while the Le Merigot is not the equal of those two properties, it is very nice and significantly less expensive.

One of the surprises at the property is the seeming architectural mistakes which result in many ocean views being blocked by the structure itself and by the high walls on the outdoor balconies. Even if your room has an outdoor balcony with an unblocked ocean view, the view can only be enjoyed while standing up. If you sit, the view is blocked by the solid balcony walls. Sitting, all you essentially see are the walls of the balcony, upper portions of the structure, and the sky.
Old May 6, 2007, 7:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just a note on this thread. I attempted to make a reservation using an EEO, and was told, after much deliberation at customer service, that the hotel told THEM that they are excluded, even though they are not officially a resort, and they are not listed as excluded on the certificate itself...*shrug* I will use a Bonus Pounds instead...
Old May 7, 2007, 3:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by joelfreak
Just a note on this thread. I attempted to make a reservation using an EEO, and was told, after much deliberation at customer service, that the hotel told THEM that they are excluded, even though they are not officially a resort, and they are not listed as excluded on the certificate itself...*shrug* I will use a Bonus Pounds instead...
Not sure how far you want to push this, but it seems to me that if the hotel isn't specifically excluded under the terms of the EEO (and is not a resort), then the property isn't really in the position to say whether or not they will take the certificate. The Marriott sign out front implies that they will adhere to whatever rules Marriott corporate puts into play. That said, if it were me and I really wanted to use the EEO, I would contact Mr. Marriott's office, explain the situation and that you had already been through customer service, and ask that someone call up the GM at Le Merigot and explain that Marriott corporate sets the rules, not the individual property.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Chris; attention suggested

As a matter or principle, I would pursue this as suggested by LPCJr. I sincerely hope that Chris will respond to this thread. The failure of hotels to live up to the rules, and seeming disinterest or lack of any power by customer service to resolve this issue and others (such as the maverick decision by a property, in another thread, to self-impose blackout dates on gift cards) is very discouraging. Chris, how about stepping up and resolving these issues or tell us what Marriott is doing to prevent properties from self-imposing their own rules and restrictions that vary from Marriott's own t&c's? Further, what should we do when a maverick property flat-out adds their own rules and restrictions to a Marriott program, then refuses to budge?
Old May 7, 2007, 10:01 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by joelfreak
I went through this same problem 1 year ago. You would think that by now they would either except the EEOs or have specifically excluded themselves. I literally spent hours on the phone getting this resolved.

BTW, another problem I had recently was the acceptance of “Dinner for Two” certificates at the JW Marriott in Capri, Italy. After closely reading the terms and conditions and even emailing the hotel to confirm they were usable… I was still refused once I arrived. I heard every excuse … oh, we are not a “real” Marriott… we are just a franchise… we don’t need to accept them, etc. The front desk person came down to the restaurant, and said no… the manager was called… said no. Finally after going to my room and producing a copy of my email… the manager relented… but the damage was done… my girlfriend was embarrassed and did not want to go back to the restaurant any more. While none of the people involved were rude and “only doing their job”… grrrrr it sure is annoying.
Old May 7, 2007, 1:58 pm

guys, just a thought. create a new thread w/ the 2 posts above mentioned & put attn: chris in the title. not sure he reads every thread so he might miss the problems you've encountered. cheers.
Old May 7, 2007, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
guys, just a thought. create a new thread w/ the 2 posts above mentioned & put attn: chris in the title. not sure he reads every thread so he might miss the problems you've encountered. cheers.
Or simply PM a Mod on this board to change the title of the thread
Old May 7, 2007, 2:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Chris posted in the other thread re: Gift cards that he is researching this issue too.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:52 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

The Le Merigot JW is officially considered a resort, even though it is not specified in their name. An EEO excluding all U.S. Marriott and JW Marriott resorts would not be able to be used at this property. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Old May 10, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
The Le Merigot JW is officially considered a resort, even though it is not specified in their name. An EEO excluding all U.S. Marriott and JW Marriott resorts would not be able to be used at this property. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Interesting as their name is: “Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel & Spa”. I mean it actually says HOTEL in the name. How does one know when a hotel is a resort then... or perhaps when a resort is really a hotel? BTW, simply being next to a beach does not by definition make a hotel a resort... calling this hotel a resort is a bit of a stretch. It has zero grounds and pool smaller than almost any Marriot you can name.

Last edited by schriste; May 10, 2007 at 10:45 am
Old May 10, 2007, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by schriste
Interesting as their name is: “Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel & Spa”. I mean it actually says HOTEL in the name. How does one know when a hotel is a resort then... or perhaps when a resort is really a hotel? BTW, simply being next to a beach does not by definition make a hotel a resort... calling this hotel a resort is a bit of a stretch. It has zero grounds and pool smaller than almost any Marriot you can name.
Totally agree. Chris, what exactly is the 'resort' part? As mentioned, being close to a beach does not make a resort. And spot on re: zero grounds and small pool. While I like the property, in no way shape or form is it a resort. It's a hotel that's next to the beach w/ an apt bldg 10 feet in front of it blocking the beach view. to Marriott on this one.

Cheers.

PS - If Marriott insists upon continuing the charade of it being a resort (thus insulting other Marriotts that actually ARE resorts), the least you could do is get it listed to the not valid at list on the EEOs. Geesh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.