Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
I have 24 hours before I arrive... what's the consensus, should I be looking to switch to the Sheraton?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
My vote would be for the Sheraton. The club floor has been recently renovated and there is a decent spread in the lounge with appetizers in the evening (last night there was assorted veggies, crackers/cheese, shrimp quesadillas, pastrami on crostinis, toasted ham and cheese sandwhiches, spring rolls and some type of dessert pastries). Breakfast is also a decent spread with eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, etc. The rooms are all suites as opposed to the traditional rooms at the Westin so there is a bit more space.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:49 pm

I switched, having a little kitchen and the lounge swung it for me
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Fitness centre at Westin waaay better than Sheraton.

There is the Eau Claire YMCA right next to both, however.

One of the best cities to do mattress runs imho
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:33 pm

Quick update, I stayed at the Sheraton and really liked it, mini review in the other thread here.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ukchris
Quick update, I stayed at the Sheraton and really liked it, mini review in the other thread here.
They are both quite nice. Only problem is the Au Claire is usually a hundred bucks more. I tend to go for a lounge property, all things being equal.

Cheers,
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Is the Westin still under construction?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:43 am

Why are the downtown calgary hotels $500 in september??? My coworker wants me to book fairmont ($300), but I rather stick with either SPG or Hyatt...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Originally Posted by fayewolf
Why are the downtown calgary hotels $500 in september??? My coworker wants me to book fairmont ($300), but I rather stick with either SPG or Hyatt...
Oil & Gas! Calgary hotel rates are probably the highest in Canada during the business week. I actually find the hotels to be the most expensive of any city I travel to, even compared to London. (UK), when I have traveled for work.

Weekends, however, rates at the Westin drop to sometimes under a $100 per night!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Starwood, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by fayewolf
I've been coming up to Calgary for the past four years, and rates have jumped almost $100/night over that time. September is big for conferences - if you hit the wrong week you'll pay through the nose. And, yes, oil and gas is booming - there are several hundred consultants and lawyers flying in every week.

But on the Westin v Sheraton question - Sheraton is all suites, the staff actually notice regular guests (I get greeted by name as I walk in the door), there is a lounge at the Sheraton. After a while you get tired of being asked to show id by the same obnoxious desk clerk who asked you last week, and the week before, and the week before....

I quit staying at Westin when I managed to forget a sports coat in my room - noticed at the airport when I went to go through security. I called the hotel and asked if they could just hold on to it until Monday when I was coming back. So I go to the desk to ask for my coat, and the guy comes upstairs with a plastic bag the size of a small grocery bag with my coat rumpled at the bottom. They don't have hangers at this hotel? Given the fact I called ~ 2 hours after checking out, it's not like they didn't know the jacket was there (I told them exactly where it was). So, Sheraton all the way!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
Is the Westin still under construction?
What construction work was being done?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What construction work was being done?
Major floods in downtown Calgary in June 2013 caused both foundational as well as cosmetic issues. I know that the underground parkade and main floor at the Westin Calgary were affected. I was there just this past October and the lobby is now completely refurbished. I don't recall seeing any obvious construction but I did not go down into the parkade.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan Distinction
Does anyone know are the club rooms at the sheraton Eau Claire any nicer than the regular rooms?

Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Well, it has been a long time since the Westin Calgary thread has had an update - the same can be said for the Westin itself! If you envisioned a Westin with traditional decor, then you have the Westin Calgary. I think it's time for some updates ;-) Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Notes: The hotel has two separate towers - the Main Tower (shorter) and the Business Tower (pool on top). I don't think the property actually has real suites - perhaps, just a speciality suite or two. The Elite upgrade seems to be one of the 4 corner Executive Junior Suites on each floor of the Main Tower (with balcony).

Pros:
  • Upgraded several days out to an Executive Junior Suite and placed near the top of the Main Tower
  • Bed was comfortable - just-right mattress with plush top, plush pillows, covers fine (could be a tad thicker) - interestingly, the duvet linen seemed to be like those used at some JW properties
  • Shower pressure was fine - relaxing, but cleansing and angled well
  • Leather couch was relatively comfortable
  • Spacious bathroom with lots of counter space
  • Usable desk
  • Offered late checkout proactively - no issue with 4 PM
  • Service was generally friendly - housekeeper pointed me to my room as I walked down the hallway on arrival
  • Elite breakfast is decent - it's supposed to be the buffet, but the staff said I could order a la carte as an exception - I should have taken them up on this, but felt like I didn't want to be difficult - the buffet is fine - eggs and bacon were good, pancakes slightly not fresh, but chocolate muffin was good - service quite friendly
Neutral:
  • Elite welcome gift was some bags of nuts and a bottle of normal water (waters already provided in room)
Cons:
  • Toilet smelled a tad - better after a few flushes after arrival
  • No Internet TV OS
  • Decor is getting on in age - wrinkled carpet near the desk chair, etc
  • I like old, but even I can't make an excuse for the Main Tower hallways
Overall, I would like to see a refresh of this property.

Photos:

newfbc, DCFlyer0306, DELee and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
It's hard to believe that this property was once a Four Seasons, it's needed a refresh for several years - biggest issue I have is the non-existent HVAC in their "suites". The condition of underground parking is atrocious and the lack of a lounge are other issues. It's a shame, this place could be really special.
DCFlyer0306 and tjk1976 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.