Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2003, 12:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dmgt:
FYI - The Sheraton Eau Claire is owned by Fairmont!!</font>
Why on earth isn't it flagged as a Fairmont then? Why pay franchise/reservation fees to Starwood?

Old Aug 31, 2003, 7:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
TTT103
Fairmont purchased the property about a year ago. The Sheraton is well branded in Calgary and Fairmont has a property here. Additionally, I understand there is a contract in place that has not expired and remained in place with the sale.

The branding may change when the contract expirees; however local staff think it will remain a Sheraton due to the business success under this flag. Time will tell.

Regards,

Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What treatment do Platinums get nowadays? I have already been upgraded to a suite after checking my reservation online. Is there a club lounge now? Do Plats get breakfast in the restaurant?

Easiest way to get to the property from the airport?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:00 am

If you are driving

Come out of the airport and turn Left at the first lights (at the Husky Gas Station)
Turn left at the second lights (Aiport Trail) there is a Park N Fly on the other corner
Follow road to the very end and turn left at the lights.
You are now on Deerfoot HWY
Take this to Memorial Drive (4 exit I think) and exit right
Take Memorial to the 4th Street Fly over Bridge
The Westin is two lights in on the Left

That or take a cab (about $25 or $30)

It's a pretty straightforward drive but others might be able to give you more accurate directions once take the Fly Over. Have a good time here. It was 55F Thursday and now its about 28F with freezing snow
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:28 pm

To be fair to the Westin Calgary - I stay there a lot, on gov't rate, and they ALWAYS upgrade me to a large corner suite. I also often am upgraded to the Club floor if the hotel isn't full. As was previously mentioned the club floor has no lounge, but it gives you a breakfast credit, free long distance, and free high speed internet. (Sheraton Eau Claire is better, and I would stay there if I could, but doesn't have a government rate within my allowable limit.) Sadly I didn't make plat for the upcoming year and will miss the priviliges after the end of this month.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by seiko
the Eau claire won't provide a Club level room to platinum memebers, only lounge access. Lurker should look into this as well. seems to me that some properties simply create different guidelines
That's not completely true. When I stayed there this past summer, the lady that checked me apologized profusely for not being able to upgrade me to a club level room. She said there were two large wedding parties staying there and had reserved a large portion of the club level. I was granted access to the lounge though...one of the better club lounges I've ever experienced.

I would definitely choose the Sheraton over the Westin.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:53 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Thumbs down Westin in Calgary

I'm curious what people have thought about the Westin in Calgary? I stayed there this weekend and was shocked to find out that they didn't have a club lounge and they didn't even provide me with any vouchers for breakfast in their restaurant when I asked. I am a platinum member and have been given vouchers in the past when the property doesn't have a club lounge

I thought Westin properties were supposed to be a notch up from Sheraton's and a club lounge would be standard fare but apparently not!

In terms of the room, I was upgraded to a jr.suite. It was nice but the shower didn't have the trademark "heavenly bath" that one would expect of a Westin.

Does anyone know what's going on here about this below par quality for a Westin?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:59 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
This Westin took out the heavenly bath (double shower heads) a while ago. It was done to conserve water (per a discussion I had with the manager).

In terms of lounge, I don't know if every Westin in N. America has one. Also breakfast vouchers are not standard affairs for Platinums if there isn't a lounge. Next time you go there, you may want to book the AAA/CAA rates, they include breakfast at the restaurant.

In terms of quality of the rooms, the tower ones were recently renovated with new everything (including a 27" or 32" LCD TV). The gym is pretty nice as well.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
I'm curious what people have thought about the Westin in Calgary? I stayed there this weekend and was shocked to find out that they didn't have a club lounge and they didn't even provide me with any vouchers for breakfast in their restaurant when I asked. I am a platinum member and have been given vouchers in the past when the property doesn't have a club lounge

I thought Westin properties were supposed to be a notch up from Sheraton's and a club lounge would be standard fare but apparently not!

In terms of the room, I was upgraded to a jr.suite. It was nice but the shower didn't have the trademark "heavenly bath" that one would expect of a Westin.

Does anyone know what's going on here about this below par quality for a Westin?
First of all, only a minority of Westins in North America actually have a club lounge (ATL and St. Louis come to mind as an example). It's a majority of the Sheratons that have them. You're not the first one to note this here on FT but it still puzzles me as to why many here think that Westins are supposed to have club lounges in North America (let alone elsewhere).

Second of all, not all Westins in North America have been fitted with the Heavenly Bath/Shower trademarks (i.e. dual shower head).

Third of all, you should stay at the Sheraton Eau Claire next time. A much better property (club lounge and all, with great hot and cold breakfast selection). You can get to either property on the +15.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
The AAA advice worked out very well for me. I booked the least expensive room available (a traditional queen) and was upgraded to an executive king in the tower. This room was very nicely done and has a 32" LCD flat screen. The rate also included a $20 breakfast coupon which paid for the hot buffet. The Sheraton Eau Claire is extremely nice but it's hard to get a $125 deal there. I give the Westin Calgary extremely high marks for value and service, no complaints at all.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Service at this Westin isn't that good. Even when I requestd two beds they still gave me a room with 1 bed. I even called them on day of arrival but they didn't assign a room until I arrived at 10 pm by that time there was no other choice. Generally I don't care attitude is my perception. Sheraton Eau Claire is by far the superior choice. I love their attention to details.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Wow. I could not disagree more with the sentiments in this thread. I just stayed here this weekend. Upon arrival, Valet service was prompt and friendly. Check-in staff was very friendly and took great care of me. I was offered my choice of either a corner suite in an unrenovated portion of the hotel, or a renovated tower room with free hardwired internet, free US and Canada calls, and a $19.00 credit for breakfast in their restaurant. Needless to say, I jumped at the freebies and the newly renovated tower room.

There is a bit of construction/renovation taking place in the lobby area. However, the renovated tower rooms are tastefully decorated (think W style with less bold color-schemes and no pointless knick-knacks or objets d'art in the room). Room service was quick, reasonably priced (by City-Centre Westin standards), and tasty (I had the bison burger and Caesar salad). The concierge was quite helpful and friendly in giving directions to local attractions and bars. I can't stress how friendly and welcoming the front desk staff were.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, but certainly wish to give the Sheraton Suites Eau Claire a try next time I'm in town as well.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Wow. I could not disagree more with the sentiments in this thread. I just stayed here this weekend. Upon arrival, Valet service was prompt and friendly. Check-in staff was very friendly and took great care of me. I was offered my choice of either a corner suite in an unrenovated portion of the hotel, or a renovated tower room with free hardwired internet, free US and Canada calls, and a $19.00 credit for breakfast in their restaurant. Needless to say, I jumped at the freebies and the newly renovated tower room.
I agree with the Otter. I just returned from an exceptional 6-night stay at the Westin Calgary for a conference. I was on the conference rate, but e-mailed in advance to humbly request an upgrade to the tower "business room" package described above, and got it, no problem. (My experience as SPG Gold has given me low expectations in terms of recognition, so an upgrade with tangible benefits was a real bonus).

The staff I interacted with were friendly and very service-oriented. The nicest and most unexpected part of the stay was an invitation to the manager's reception for SPG members on Wednesday night, with a great selection of hors d'oeuvres and a chance to meet managers of various departments of the hotel.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are there any improvements to service delivery and Elite recognition at this property? I had two reservations booked here, and changed one to the Sheraton near the airport, but kept the other at the Westin until I came upon this thread - and now I'm considering changing the other night too.

How can a Westin branded hotel continue offering such poor service and violate program rules with impunity?

At least I hope their bed bug problem has been solved...

Should I chance a stay here (assuming improvements) or high-tail it over to the Sheraton?
Old May 21, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
In my experience, this hotel has undergone HUGE changes in staff attitude, preferred guest treatment, and upgraded rooms/ facilities over the past two-ish years. I used to really dislike it, and only chose it when I couldn't get into the Sheraton Eau Claire (way more $$$) and wanted to stay downtown. It has changed dramatically since then - the staff truly seem to want to HELP, I've been well treated, and the renovated rooms are much better. I also really like the rooftop gym/ pool.

I would definitely stay at the Westin vs the Sheraton Cavalier (near the airport), unless you really want to be near the airport. The Cavalier is OK, but a bit old and tired - and some staff are great, but this is inconsistent. And the lounge there is nothing to write home about, in contrast to the Eau Claire property. Just my 2cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.