Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by YYCfasha
It's hard to believe that this property was once a Four Seasons, it's needed a refresh for several years - biggest issue I have is the non-existent HVAC in their "suites". The condition of underground parking is atrocious and the lack of a lounge are other issues. It's a shame, this place could be really special.
I will say that I didn't notice temperature problems - but I can't confirm whether or not the fan was just blowing vs. any actual active AC when set to 19 or so. Of course, it's been a cool week in Calgary.
tjk1976 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by tjk1976

Here's a dumb but amusing story about the Westin Calgary. I was there a month or so ago and had arranged to meet a colleague in The Keg restaurant in the lobby. It was early afternoon on a random Tuesday and when I entered, I was surprised to see the bar area was completely packed. I asked the hostess why it was so busy and she gave me a puzzled look and said, "Because it's Tuesday." I still have no idea what she was talking about. lol
maybe i'll try to take a stab at it, as a non-local, but someone who's "lived" in Calgary for months at a time, on-and-off since 2018.

Tuesday is the busiest return-to-office day. It's like the entire city agreed on this collectively or something. There'll be lunches, and with some industries, drinking on the (office) job is acceptable. that location has happy hour from 3pm, too. When I travel to the other offices across Canada, there's no agreement on which day of the week is the de facto in-office day. Hell, there's an even split for Mondays and Fridays too which is baffling.

I lived on Banff Trail all summer and took the train to the office 6x/week; Tuesday's trains were always packed, it was awful. It was like the pre-COVID ridership metrics that were consistently hit.
tjk1976 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by asovse1
maybe i'll try to take a stab at it,

Tuesday is the busiest return-to-office day. It's like the entire city agreed on this collectively or something. There'll be lunches, and with some industries, drinking on the (office) job is acceptable. that location has happy hour from 3pm, too.
That actually kind of makes sense. I'm married to a recovering ex-Albertan and this tracks.
asovse1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.