Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by There yet?
In my experience, this hotel has undergone HUGE changes in staff attitude, preferred guest treatment, and upgraded rooms/ facilities over the past two-ish years. I used to really dislike it, and only chose it when I couldn't get into the Sheraton Eau Claire (way more $$$) and wanted to stay downtown. It has changed dramatically since then - the staff truly seem to want to HELP, I've been well treated, and the renovated rooms are much better. I also really like the rooftop gym/ pool.

I would definitely stay at the Westin vs the Sheraton Cavalier (near the airport), unless you really want to be near the airport. The Cavalier is OK, but a bit old and tired - and some staff are great, but this is inconsistent. And the lounge there is nothing to write home about, in contrast to the Eau Claire property. Just my 2cents.
I stayed at the Westin last month and even as only a SPG Gold, I was upgraded to a large room (maybe its a suite).. The staff were very helpful and the Concierge was just great. She mapped out where I should go to first, second and last as I had a huge shooping list, and have absolutely no idea how to get to some of these shops. I had a GPS in my Thrifty car though, so that helped.

QUESTION: If I am to have about 6 people in a room, for a talk/seminar, which should I choose. Westin (but I really like the property) or the Eau Claire? I will be PLT by the time I am there in July so I am hoping for similar room type I got in April, or suite upgrade.
Old May 21, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I stayed at the Westin last month and even as only a SPG Gold, I was upgraded to a large room (maybe its a suite).. The staff were very helpful and the Concierge was just great. She mapped out where I should go to first, second and last as I had a huge shooping list, and have absolutely no idea how to get to some of these shops. I had a GPS in my Thrifty car though, so that helped.

QUESTION: If I am to have about 6 people in a room, for a talk/seminar, which should I choose. Westin (but I really like the property) or the Eau Claire? I will be PLT by the time I am there in July so I am hoping for similar room type I got in April, or suite upgrade.
I think the Westin has done a very good job with their reno's and the staff have been pretty good.

To answer your question, absolutely the Sheraton Eau Claire. The way the suites are set up you can close the door to your bedroom and still have a nice seating area and access to the washroom without having people see into your bedroom. The sitting area has a couch that will hold 3, an armchair and also a desk and chair. You would just have to ask the hotel to bring you up one more chair.
Old May 21, 2008, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danwhy
I think the Westin has done a very good job with their reno's and the staff have been pretty good.

To answer your question, absolutely the Sheraton Eau Claire. The way the suites are set up you can close the door to your bedroom and still have a nice seating area and access to the washroom without having people see into your bedroom. The sitting area has a couch that will hold 3, an armchair and also a desk and chair. You would just have to ask the hotel to bring you up one more chair.
Thank you for your prompt reply !

I have in fact booked myself for 2 nights each at the Eau Claire. 18-20 July I got it for $225 a night CAA rate. But 11-13 July they wanted $579 a night !

So I redeemed Cash+Points for those nights at 4500 pts +$90 a night! ^

Is it Calgary Stampede time already?
Old May 21, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Is it Calgary Stampede time already?
Yes, the Stampede is on during your July 11 to 13 visit (Yee Haw)! I can't believe you got C & P during the Stampede. You my friend got the best hotel deal in the world. Even the Best Westerns and Quality Inn's will be charging $200 to $300 per night!

I think you made a great deal and you will appreciate the meeting will seem more professional the way the suites are set up.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks all! Good thing we updated the thread. I will keep my second res at the Westin and report my experience when I get back.
Old May 21, 2008, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danwhy
Yes, the Stampede is on during your July 11 to 13 visit (Yee Haw)! I can't believe you got C & P during the Stampede. You my friend got the best hotel deal in the world. Even the Best Westerns and Quality Inn's will be charging $200 to $300 per night!

I think you made a great deal and you will appreciate the meeting will seem more professional the way the suites are set up.
I just added another night from 10-11th July using C+P again.

Now that I know the Stampede is on, I hope people who registered will come to my seminar !

Now I hope there're some can rentals left!
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Westin Calgary Does The Right Thing

Had a recent stay at the Westin Calgary for one night, which I planned to cancel based on a plethora of reviews here, but the last set of reviews indicated a change in management and attitude, so I gave them a shot.

The check-in process left a lot to be desired, but I let it go as my stay was only for one night. The problem arose in the middle of the night - someone or something checked me out. The next morning, the phone and internet were off, and when I called to ask, I was told that someone checked me out during the night. Guest Services restored my account and I thought everything was fine.

When I went to check-out, they told me I had a zero balance folio with no charges! I tried to clarify that, but since Guest Services didn't appear to understand what happened either, and didn't want to pursue it much, I left the hotel as they told me I didn't owe anything (I had a plane to catch, anyway).

Seeing no stay credit or even a record of my reservation, I opened a ticket with the Plat Concierge to find out what was going on. A few days later, I received a call from the hotel claiming a computer glitch and a message stating the finance manager demanded my credit card be charged after the fact. OK, fair is fair, I did stay there and should pay for the stay, but a couple weeks later, no stay credit.

Now I was miffed.

I called the person back, and complained about the whole situation, from check-in to the inconvenience, the missing stay credit and the after-the-fact charge on my CC. I really just wanted my stay credit and maybe a stack of bonus points, but a few minutes later, the guest service manager called me back, apologized for the entire fiasco, and while still claiming they had no idea what happened, told me my stay was comped and he would credit back my CC.

Although I would have preferred 10K points instead (and paid for the stay), I thought the response and offer was very generous and gave me a positive view of this hotel and its management staff. No points for the stay, though, but I'm told my stay credit will post.

The hotel itself was very nice, well-located and the 'business tower' rooms were nicely done and a good size. Business tower rooms include free internet, free phone calls anywhere in North America, and a $25 credit towards breakfast in their restaurant. Weekend stays offer a chance for free street parking nearby, if you're lucky.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL
Stayed here one night yesterday, had booked in a traditional corner room. When I arrived to checkin (at midnight), I got put in a spacious and fresh corner room and also got free internet / breakfast. Very good experience indeed.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Does anyone know if there is a Club Lounge here since they have completed the renovations, and if so, how is it?

I am being demoted from Sheraton Eau Claire and am now required to stay at the Westin.

Last edited by kendalh; Nov 13, 2008 at 1:01 pm
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
No--not that I am aware of. I stayed there fairly recently.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Brutal. Maybe I should pay the 40 dollar difference myself between Eau Claire and Westin. The breakfast and hors dervs are worth it!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just got back from this hotel. Well, not really. But I did have a $200 dollar cup of coffee.

I checked in at 6:00 tonight. The lobby was a ZOO, but I walked right up to the SPG Plat/Gold counter and was immediately served.

I was upgraded to the "Towers" and with that came free local and long distance phone calls, free internet, and $20 dollar breakfast voucher per day.

I walked up to my room. Very nice and new and renovated. Large reading chaise and another reading chair. Big bathroom, Flatscreen etc. Typical Westin Canada renovated.

Parking is atrocious. $35 a day valet and $25 self park (weekdays). $25 Valet and $18 Self (weekends).

I made myself a cup of starbucks coffee, grabbed the lotion, soap and shampoo, and hopped in my truck to drive home. Finished work early and decided there was no point in me stayin the night and going home the next morning so I just came home.

Nothing like a $200 dollar cup of coffee
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just finished another stay here last night. First as a Platinum.

Recieved no upgrade. Didnt ask since I got in at 1 AM and was checking out at 6 AM. Did recieve a $50 dollar breakfast voucher with the rate I booked (Escapes something or other). Room service breakfast was excellent. Ate enough seasonal fresh berries to make a bear jealous. (Made sure it was a $50 breakfast )
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC SE
Renos complete?

Was told a while back that the renos on floors 3-6 (complete gutting) should be complete in time for Stampede this year. Anyone stayed in the new rooms, or know of the status of the retrofit?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I have now stayed at this hotel twice in the past two years. On my first stay, I was offered a newly renovated towers room with the free internet and breakfast voucher, or an unrenovated suite. On that stay, I chose the towers room, and was reasonably pleased (it was just a typical Westin room updated to their latest standard). On my most recent stay (in January of this year), I opted for the unrenovated suite (was leaving so early in the morning, breakfast wasn't necessary), and was pleasantly surprised. If this is what they meant by "unrenovated," then that's fine by me...

Corner Suite Entry/Sitting Area

Corner Suite Sitting Area

Corner Suite Sitting Area and Bedroom

Corner Suite Bed

Corner Suite Bathroom Vanity

Corner Suite Tub/Shower Combo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.