Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Plat & MM, CO Plat, UA Prem Exec, AA Gold, GP Diamond, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
Spent the Summer of '09 at the Westin Calgary

Hi y'all,

I recently wrapped up a 4-month project in Calgary, and I stayed at the Westin Calgary the whole time with the exception of a 2-night stint at the Hyatt due to unavailability at Westin during Stampede.

During my stay there, I was either regularly upgraded to the Business Tower or to one of the renovated rooms in the main building. Only one week was I subjected to the older, regular room (which I thought was grim, comparitively). The renovated corner suites are comfortable and sport a TV in the bathroom mirror. (My visiting hubby thought that was a treat.)

In addition to having a hotel staff that goes above and beyond to be friendly and helpful, I appreciated the free Internet and free NORTH AMERICAN long distance offered as part of my "upgrade".

It is a bummer that there is no Club Lounge, however I regularly received free breakfast in the restaurant which covered the buffet and omelette station.

All in all, this property is a winner in my book.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:10 am

My first stay since the rennovations. Very impressed. Upgraded to a nice corner suite.

Attended some kind of "Manager's Reception" for SPG members on the 17th floor. The food was absolutely incredible. Sorry I didn't get a chance to try the restaurant, beyond breakfast, which was very nice.

Only downside for me was the pool on the top floor. I found it terribly dismal & dreary - in fact, I decided not to try it; I just turned around and went back downstairs.

Cheers,
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:10 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by kendalh
Does anyone know if there is a Club Lounge here since they have completed the renovations, and if so, how is it?
I didn't see a definitive answer to this question. Does the Westin have a lounge post-renovation? Thanks.

CLG
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by CLG
I didn't see a definitive answer to this question. Does the Westin have a lounge post-renovation? Thanks.

CLG

I had a one-night stay there this week, and there was no mention of a lounge.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Aeroplan, RBC Avion
NYE shooting outside Westin Calgary

Following article about shooting outside Westin Calgary at about 1AM on New years. I was walking by the location on my way to Sheraton Eau Claire about 1/2 prior:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opini...752/story.html

See 4th picture in article for Westin reference.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
What's best platinum upgrade anyone's ever received here?

As a gold sometimes I'd get the business tower (free breakfast), sometimes I'd get a corner suite (no free breakfast).

As a platnium I've received the business tower. Are there suites here too? What's the next level up?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platium, PC Ambassador & Platium, Aeroplan Elite
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
What's best platinum upgrade anyone's ever received here?

As a gold sometimes I'd get the business tower (free breakfast), sometimes I'd get a corner suite (no free breakfast).

As a platnium I've received the business tower. Are there suites here too? What's the next level up?
I was upgraded to one of the suites last October, the front desk gave me a choice to either stay at the business tower (free breakfast) or the junior suites (no free breakfast). The bathroom is pretty cool with a TV inside the mirror.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by Wallease
I was upgraded to one of the suites last October, the front desk gave me a choice to either stay at the business tower (free breakfast) or the junior suites (no free breakfast). The bathroom is pretty cool with a TV inside the mirror.
So there's nothing better than either of those two rooms? I'll admit that the TV is pretty cool
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:28 pm

I was given a choice to a room in the tower or a suite in the main building , free breakfast regardless of room type chosen. i took the suite. the tower rooms are very good too.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Rewards Platinum AC SE100K, UA 1K
Westin Calgary review

Full Review here

Calgary is quiet town relative to Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto ... in that order. However with all the money that this town is awash in ... there seems to be a startling lack of high end hotels in Calgary. So far I've stayed at two Starwood properties here ... Sheraton Cavalier and the Westin Calgary

Once again, my loyalty has been driven by a triple points promotion that Starwood has going on till Dec 18th, 2011</a>. With the rates that the hotels charge, this basically translates to about 8000 points a week - which is almost a free night in a Category 5 hotel. This is definitely not a bad deal right now.

.... Full Review here
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat (sigh) FPC Platinum (sigh)
Heads up: Westin Calgary closed temporarily due to flood

Hi all,

Just in case you're travelling to Calgary in the next week or so (June 22-28), be advised the hotel is currently closed due to the flooding in Calgary (it's absolutely amazing the extent of the flooding in downtown Calgary). They state they are waiving cancellation fees.

The hotel expects to reopen on June 29th, although that's probably a tentative date. I'm sure they'll spare no effort getting ready and open for Stampede.

I don't have any word on the Sheraton Eau Claire, which is a block away (and closer to the river, and lower in elevation) but I imagine they're having problems too.

Good luck to all in Calgary - what a mess! - but Calgary and Alberta will pull through and rebuild.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold; Airmiles Gold; Marco Polo
This past weekend I stayed at The Westin and it will be my last, service was horrible. I had late checkout at 3pm, housekeeping came knocking non-stop at 2pm rushing me, building is under renovation therefore self-park is very limited for $19 but I was told if I valet park for $29 it would be available. There used to be upgrade to Business Tower with Buffet Breakfast but no such thing anymore; as a SPG Gold I request for a Humidfier I was told I should bring my own portable. I booked a Junior Suite Nov 30 for a concert event and was offered a 4pm late checkout for Sunday with a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on the door, at noon house keeping knocked on the door while we were in bed, I hear a click and she's in our suite asking when we will be leaving?
WoW!!! Guest Service Manager emailed me was not apologetic for her hotel staff behaviour, mentioned front desk has waived parking charge asked me what do I expect from the hotel?
Now, Westin Calgary has a "Pet-Friendly Environment" in their rooms policy, with no extra charge? What does that mean to customers who have Allergies?? I highly doubt they spend time & money dry-cleaning their carpets and sofas, etc?
Well GSM, it's time to say Goodbye.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
I'm booked here for four nights from Sunday and I'm now starting to doubt the choice, I received an email saying that as a Plat I could choose a coffee mug, points or breakfast as my amenity, now I'm wondering if I'll get lounge access or not. I like lounge access and will be disappointed if they do not allow it as my interpretation of the platinum benefits suggests they should only do so on capacity grounds - I suppose that's dubious enough that they could use it as justification if they chose to?

I guess we'll see how things go, if not the Sheraton or Marriott may be on the horizon for the remainder of my trips.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ukchris
I'm booked here for four nights from Sunday and I'm now starting to doubt the choice, I received an email saying that as a Plat I could choose a coffee mug, points or breakfast as my amenity, now I'm wondering if I'll get lounge access or not. I like lounge access and will be disappointed if they do not allow it as my interpretation of the platinum benefits suggests they should only do so on capacity grounds - I suppose that's dubious enough that they could use it as justification if they chose to?

I guess we'll see how things go, if not the Sheraton or Marriott may be on the horizon for the remainder of my trips.
Since when does this Westin have a lounge?

Cheers,
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Flews
Since when does this Westin have a lounge?

Cheers,
I suppose that's something I should have verified, I thought someone else said they were refused lounge access which I interpreted as there being one, is that not the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.