FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Calgary, AB, Canada [Master Thread]
Old Jun 17, 2023, 6:10 pm
ElevatorEnthusiast

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Well, it has been a long time since the Westin Calgary thread has had an update - the same can be said for the Westin itself! If you envisioned a Westin with traditional decor, then you have the Westin Calgary. I think it's time for some updates ;-) Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Notes: The hotel has two separate towers - the Main Tower (shorter) and the Business Tower (pool on top). I don't think the property actually has real suites - perhaps, just a speciality suite or two. The Elite upgrade seems to be one of the 4 corner Executive Junior Suites on each floor of the Main Tower (with balcony).

Pros:
  • Upgraded several days out to an Executive Junior Suite and placed near the top of the Main Tower
  • Bed was comfortable - just-right mattress with plush top, plush pillows, covers fine (could be a tad thicker) - interestingly, the duvet linen seemed to be like those used at some JW properties
  • Shower pressure was fine - relaxing, but cleansing and angled well
  • Leather couch was relatively comfortable
  • Spacious bathroom with lots of counter space
  • Usable desk
  • Offered late checkout proactively - no issue with 4 PM
  • Service was generally friendly - housekeeper pointed me to my room as I walked down the hallway on arrival
  • Elite breakfast is decent - it's supposed to be the buffet, but the staff said I could order a la carte as an exception - I should have taken them up on this, but felt like I didn't want to be difficult - the buffet is fine - eggs and bacon were good, pancakes slightly not fresh, but chocolate muffin was good - service quite friendly
Neutral:
  • Elite welcome gift was some bags of nuts and a bottle of normal water (waters already provided in room)
Cons:
  • Toilet smelled a tad - better after a few flushes after arrival
  • No Internet TV OS
  • Decor is getting on in age - wrinkled carpet near the desk chair, etc
  • I like old, but even I can't make an excuse for the Main Tower hallways
Overall, I would like to see a refresh of this property.

Photos: