Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Chelsea New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Originally Posted by Scott218
The 350 comes in as extra/bonus points. It may not appear at the same time as the amenity points (which is 250).
If it's supposed to appear in my account as a separate line item...it didn't (I keep pretty close tabs). But thanks for confirming that there is something extra, I just didn't get it. For this stay, I had the following credit to my account:

Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan Chelsea 370
SPG ELITE 50% BONUS 185
PLATINUM 250 THANK YOU AMENITY 250

...where the 370 was based on the rate I paid.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

Any recent reviews? pics? upgrades?

Please share your experience

Thanks!

Also, FP is the only affordable Starwood property in NYC in mid September: $245/night W, Westin even Sheraton Towers: $319+/night If you know of any promotions at other NYC properties in mid-September, please share!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
There's nothing much to upgrade to, since they only have two "suites." They have some larger rooms (corners) and SPG floors. As a gold, I've always gotten one of these.

I was there last month and it continues to be one of my favorite places in NYC. The rooms are small, but stylish. My most recent room was a larger, corner room with a big bathroom. Upgraded toiletries from the usual Four Points stuff. A nice umbrella in the closet, which I used.

The whole hotel has gone non-smoking and the restaurant and lounge have gotten larger. The lounge has a nice Happy Hour special. Location can't be beat. The place always seems full, and the surronding neighborhood has improved in the last year (not that it was bad before).
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

Please share your experience

Thanks!

Also, FP is the only affordable Starwood property in NYC in mid September: $245/night W, Westin even Sheraton Towers: $319+/night If you know of any promotions at other NYC properties in mid-September, please share!
I stayed there in May, very nice hotel, great location within walking distance of the West Village and Soho. Starbucks .5 blocks away, some small cafes around with good breakfast options.

My room was very nice, although tiny - if you are traveling solo it is nice, but with others in the room it could be tight. I was given a club floor room, new finishings and nice washroom.

I think I paid around $189 a night, very good value for NYC if you ask me.

T.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Count your blessings ... I spent four nights there in June during a perfect storm of special events (Tony Awards week, some big UN conference, etc.) and paid rack: $495 a night. It was that or Jersey (and not my money anyway, or I might have picked Jersey). It's a nice enough little hotel, but that was nuts, as are NY hotel rates in general these days.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by DCGuy
The rooms are small, but stylish. My most recent room was a larger, corner room with a big bathroom. Upgraded toiletries from the usual Four Points stuff. A nice umbrella in the closet, which I used.

The lounge has a nice Happy Hour special. Location can't be beat. The place always seems full, and the surronding neighborhood has improved in the last year (not that it was bad before).
Yes, the rooms are smaller, but way nicer than the normal Four Points standard.

I agree about the lounge and the location.

The front desk folks did not know anything about Platinum welcome amenity when I checked in a few months ago, but I did follow up with my Platinum Concierge to get the points later.

Wondering the OP booked the "mistaken" UA LAX-JFK fare...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMan
Wondering the OP booked the "mistaken" UA LAX-JFK fare...
You mean the $129 all-in roundtrip LAX-JFK-LAX fare with tons of p.s. business class upgrade availability? Or the $129 all-in LAX-IAD-LAX fare with tons of business class upgrade availability on the afternoon 777 flight? No, I couldn't possibly have....

The front desk folks did not know anything about Platinum welcome amenity when I checked in a few months ago, but I did follow up with my Platinum Concierge to get the points later.
Does this particular FP also offer only 250 platinum thank you points like other el-cheapo FPs? For the price they charge, they better offer 500 points!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:09 pm

Does this particular FP also offer only 250 platinum thank you points like other el-cheapo FPs? For the price they charge, they better offer 500 points!
Or you may not get any if the same front desk folks are there.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:35 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Does this particular FP also offer only 250 platinum thank you points like other el-cheapo FPs? For the price they charge, they better offer 500 points!
250 if, as FlyMan points out, you are lucky enough to encounter a front desk person that knows about the choice card.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Or you may not get any if the same front desk folks are there.
Or better yet you'll get the front desk guy that checked me in and get scenario #3 - a Platinum Amenity of 850 points! In one of the earlier threads on this property it was mentioned that the hotel gave an extra 600 points to Plats on top of the standard 4P 250 pt. amenity. With my June stay that proved to still be the case. The two entries posted separately but on the same date:
600 POINT BONUS 600
PLATINUM 250 THANK YOU AMENITY 250

Kudos to this property for being the first Starwood hotel in a while to correctly post the stay and associated points. The majority of my postings this year have been screwed up by the hotel in some form or another but the 4P Chelsea got it right on the first try! They even managed to correctly account for a part-prepaid, part-non-prepaid stay with a rate change from night 1 to night 2.

My experience with the room was roughly the same as reported by others. Very comfortable and attractive room but a very small one. I was told at check-in that all rooms are the same size except for the suites (of which, supposedly, none were available for an upgrade). Guess that's not the case since some people seem to be reporting larger corner rooms. As for my room since I knew what I was getting into ahead of time and expected a tiny room I didn't mind. And it was certainly comfortable. I might have been on an SPG floor or some such thing as the room did have free bottled water, an umbrella in the armoire/closet, and nicer bathroom amenities than the standard 4P soap and shampoo.

Only issue with the stay was that 1 of the 2 elevators was out of service while I was there so elevator waits were sometimes long. Overall though a good stay at a property that delivers great value for money by Manhattan standards.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:16 pm
SWG

If you are looking for a decent fitness center, go to one of the Sheratons. This place has a tiny one with a poor selection of equipment.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:17 pm
Suspended

if you were to post your queries in the appropriate thread (i.e., an existing thread on this property...of which there are many), you would see that: 1) i have stayed there about 75 nights this year and 2) i offered advice to anyone that asked or PM'ed me.

Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
if you were to post your queries in the appropriate thread (i.e., an existing thread on this property...of which there are many), you would see that: 1) i have stayed there about 75 nights this year and 2) i offered advice to anyone that asked or PM'ed me.

It would be most helpful if you were to post the most recent thread instead of suggesting "do a search.. ." Seeing as BlissWorld usually seems to do a search first before posting (or at least seems to), I need to trust that providing a link that provides the most recent information would be more helpful.

Additionally, doing a search does not always provide the exact answer to what the poster is looking for.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ldsant
It would be most helpful if you were to post the most recent thread instead of suggesting "do a search.. ." Seeing as BlissWorld usually seems to do a search first before posting (or at least seems to), I need to trust that providing a link that provides the most recent information would be more helpful.

Additionally, doing a search does not always provide the exact answer to what the poster is looking for.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Thanks Idsant Actually, I did do a search for "four points chelsea" in the title but couldn't find any recent reviews at all. Most of the reviews were in "where to stay in NYC" or "best property in NYC" and its usually only someone mentioning the 4 points without going into details.

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
Ok, well, mr fly co to see the yanks, would you be so kind as to post the link to your reivew and please offer any advice that will be helpful.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:18 pm
Suspended

well, mr fly co to see the yanks, would you be so kind as to post the link to your reivew and please offer any advice that will be helpful.
too lazy and it's not my job.

but, i would say the hotel is very conveniently located. if you have business in that part of town or like to be downtown, its one of the few options. the other downtown options are W Union Square and possibly the W Tuscany. but, i love the location. the pizza place on 23rd and 8th has great slices. and, for those interested, there are a bunch of movie theaters in the area (two on basically opposite corners of 23rd and 8th and a bunch on 34th and 8th).

the rooms are small but serviceable. they have free hi speed internet and a frig is available for the asking. the gym is bare, bare bones. there is a david barton gym at 23rd and 7th and a new york sports club (NYSC) on 23rd and 8th. both sell day passes, i believe.

it's a perfectly acceptable hotel with nice beds. the front desk (usually) tries but can be shockingly incompetent. i've had mail lost. i also had to report a broken ice machine about four times before it was acknowledged.

housekeeping is below par, no way to sugar coat it. the rooms are supposed to come with seattle's best coffee and poland springs water. i would say that i was missing one or both at least 40% of the time.

hint: the room keys very regularly "de-magentize" for some reason. so, if there was no one at the front desk i just got in the habit of asking for a new key.

there are only two elevators and there aren't service elevators. so, if towel service is being delivered or one of the elevators is out of service (which DOES happen), the wait can be quite long. hopefully, you will be stuck downstairs next to the bar...which can be quite popular, particularly in the summer. they have chairs outside in front of the bar/hotel and it can get quite a nice crowd.

this property is regularly sold out....it does an incredible business.

hotel management, like the front desk, is hit or miss. even though i have stayed at the property 75 nights this year (and stayed there in year's past), the GM didn't return two messages i left him. i walked by him many times at the front desk and he never even bothered to say hello....EVER. i was also in the habit of emailing the front office manager about various details of my stay (particularly reservation details) and at some point she just stopped acknowledging my emails.

if you have other "preguntas," PM me.

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; Jul 16, 2006 at 8:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.