Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Chelsea New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Chelsea New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Just stayed here and have mixed reviews about the property. Somebody described it as a "stripped-down W," which seems to me to be a pretty good description.

Paid $335/night for a two-night stay, which was probably pretty good since the city was jammed due to the 5-yr anniversary of 9/11 that weekend. Check-in at the front desk was efficient, although the woman was pretty grumpy. I was given a room on the top floor which turned out to be a small suite, with a bedroom and a small living room. I could smell cigarette smoke the instant I walked in, so I called down and asked for a non-smoking room. Grumpy answered the phone and told me it was a non-smoking room. Hmm. She offered to switch me to another room which was non-smoking.

The rooms were pretty chic and the furniture was quite nice. The air-conditioning unit was in the living room section of the room, so the bedroom never cooled down no matter how cold I made it. The bed was extremely confortable and I think the TV was a flat-screen. One downside: No CNBC or Bloomberg, so if you are in the financial business or need to follow the market, don't forget the laptop. I was told, though, that a new entertainment system is coming soon.

A couple of other points: Each day I returned to the room, my key had stopped working. They told me on the second day that you can't keep the key next to a credit card, cell phone or blackberry, and that it was demagnetized the second day because I had gotten a late check-out. I've seen this pop up a couple times on the Starwood site and would like to see more info.

The elevators are a little slow, but nothing to get too worked up about.

Room service was relatively inexpensive, but the food was mixed. I had an awful hamburger the first night, but a great pizza and apple pie the second.

The location is excellent and convenient to everything in Chelsea.

Except for Grumpy on Day 1, the staff was very good.

In short, I might stay here again, depending on where I needed to be, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Mike
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ghia74
It is funnier when you read it than when you write it.

Thanks, I looked on the site but could not find it, guess I will be paying about $35 a night.

Hi--I stay there several times/year and use the parking garage on 26th...it's a little bit of a hike, but cheaper than the ones closer to the hotel. I think it's between $20-30/night and you have have to pay them directly (can't charge to the hotel) and they do take credit cards.
Old May 30, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Is it possible to cram 3 people into a room at this property, or will they get pissy/charge/etc?

It's for 2 of the 3 nights we plan on having the room, booked a AAA Accessible rate. I'm Plat, but I'm not holding out much hope for something else (although I'm getting in bright and early off of an LAX redeye) with their obviously huge suite inventory.

Thanks
Old May 30, 2007, 6:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Wireless
Is it possible to cram 3 people into a room at this property, or will they get pissy/charge/etc?
There isn't a room available at this hotel that allows for more than two people in a room, so I would look for them to "get pissy/charge/etc".

It's for 2 of the 3 nights we plan on having the room, booked a AAA Accessible rate. I'm Plat, but I'm not holding out much hope for something else (although I'm getting in bright and early off of an LAX redeye) with their obviously huge suite inventory.

Thanks
Yes, that would take some extraordinary good luck with only two suites on the premises.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 30, 2007, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Yes, that would take some extraordinary good luck with only two suites on the premises.
and, they are really only junior suites...if you can even call them that.

i stayed (or should i say "lived") in one of the junior suites for about three months a year or so ago. it wasn't much bigger than a standard room.
Old May 31, 2007, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Wireless: I've stayed in 4 different rooms there (2 doubles, king, etc. never a suite though) and there really is no room for a 3rd person let alone a rollaway bed.

That said, it's a great hotel, excellent location and good value. Don't be cranky after your red-eye and you'll find the staff very accommodating (not gushing/doting, but very chill and easy to work with.)

p.s. hopefully you'll take EWR or JFK train to Penn and walk over.
Old May 31, 2007, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nroscoe
p.s. hopefully you'll take EWR or JFK train to Penn and walk over.
yes, it's an easy walk from penn station.

this hotel is routinely full. i've been at that front desk many times where people unsuccessfully tried to extend their stay. so, if you were trying to check in early, cross your fingers.

the staff is very friendly though pretty incompetent. as i said earlier, i lived in the hotel for three months. the hotel delivers the paper each day (except on sundays). the papers are usually the usa today and some other newspaper (the post or the daily news, typically). i asked the front desk and housekeeping to simply put the paper in the room if i was out of town instead of throwing it out. well, i must have made this request 10 times (at least) before they stopped throwing it out. i got profuse apologies from the front desk and housekeeping managers but the problem continued for almost my entire three month stay. very bizarre.
Old May 31, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
double beds can't fit more than 1? I forget how small they are.

I'm always cheerful and pleasant, at all hours of the day!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I stayed there last week in room 2107. To say that it's close to the ice machine is an understatement - it is literally 1 inch from the door! Thankfully I got in late and noone got ice.

While I'd never stay there with my wife and son, for a solo traveller it's not too bad - I like that you get the New York Times, USAToday, and Wall STreet Journal
Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I stayed at this property over the weekend. I did a trip report here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700060

I just want to say that this is an OK property. I wasn't terribly impressed with it. They put me on a higher floor corner room away from ice machine, which I appreciated, but I went to look for it and that machine was literaly outside the door of a room! That thing was LOUD!

I would not return to this property again because I'd much rather pay more money to stay at the wonderful W Times Square.

The bonus starpoints, however, were much appreciated
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just stayed here and got the room 2103. The view from my window of Empire State and Chrysler Building is better than many other SPG hotels I have stayed.

The room is small, especially the bathroom. This is Manhattan and I had smaller room at Sheraton New York. Every morning I received three newspapers: USA Today, NY Times and WSJ. The front desk are friendly and courteous although the common area is small. The hotel is close to subways and $6 taxi cab to Javits Convention Center.

I have stayed many SPG hotels in New York, from St Regis to W. F.P. is definitely not a luxury hotel, but relatively a bargain ($225 vs. $298 at Sheraton) with decent enought room and service.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:29 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Is this the double sized room with a big balcony? I had such a room a few weeks ago, and I loved the view of the Chrysler building and Empire State building from the bed.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andymo99
Is this the double sized room with a big balcony? I had such a room a few weeks ago, and I loved the view of the Chrysler building and Empire State building from the bed.
i didn't think any rooms at the 4 pts chelsea had a balcony. i actually live in chelsea...a few blocks from the hotel that i called home. i will walk by. i'd be surprised if any have balconies. it's a very rectangular building (i.e., i didn't think there were balcony protrusions).
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i didn't think any rooms at the 4 pts chelsea had a balcony. i actually live in chelsea...a few blocks from the hotel that i called home. i will walk by. i'd be surprised if any have balconies. it's a very rectangular building (i.e., i didn't think there were balcony protrusions).
There are.

Pictures here http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP..._New_York.html
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:15 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
I definitely had a balcony in the large room on the top (I think) floor with the nice views of the skyline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.