Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2006, 6:38 pm

Thanks for all the great information above!

Reading about all the different types of JR passes and various train passes really has gotten me more confused than ever, so I've got a few questions for my upcoming first ever trip to Japan hopefully some of you can answer.

Here's my itinerary and related question:
6/24 ORD > KIX, and staying@Westin Osaka for three nights.
I understand there's a train network and as a foreigner, I may be eligible for the discounted JR Passes, which should take me from KIX to Osaka Station, from which point on I can use RTWSTARALLIANCE's advise in getting to the Westin. I am confused on however, what ticket is my best option here and do I need to purchase them before I arrive in Japan? (The note "*A JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be purchased inside Japan." from http://www.westjr.co.jp/english/travel/jrp/ got me worried).

Also, I will be going to the American consulate in Osaka from Westin on Monday 6/26, looking at the map, it's about a 30+ minute walk, does that sound like a good plan or a train ride is a better choice?

6/27 Westin > Fukuoka (for the experience, Bullet Train-Shinkansen is my plan for this leg)
Any suggestions in looking up bullet train schedule, pricing and logistics from Westin? Would a packaged ticket (those 7/14 days passes I've read about) be a better choice with both this leg and earlier KIX to Osaka station leg in mind?

7/6-7/8 Short round-trip between Fukuoka and Hiroshima
No preference on this leg on what train line I'd be taking, but again, would a packaged ticket be a better choice knowing this leg along with the earlier legs between KIX and Osaka, and then Osaka to Fukuoka?

Since I don't see any SPG properties in Hiroshima area off spg.com, any suggestions for a resonable priced hotel ($120-$200 range) or am I missing something completely?

My final leg would be on 7/9, leaving Fukuoka for ORD via FUK.

My initial feeling is that a 14 day JR Rail pass is my best bet, but I've heard that these passes are region specific, and jumping between Osaka, Fukuoka, then Hiroshima may not be eligible for the pass? Sorry about the rudimentary questions I'm asking, I'm just starting my FT research on this topic for this upcomign trip.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Yes, a 14 day pass will suit you best. It's also valid system wide anywhere in Japan. Unlike regional passes, one can't purchase a JR pass in Japan. You need to buy an exchange voucher via a travel agent. It's best if you can reserve seats on those bullet trains ,without a fee, when you have the voucher exchanged at one of the major JR stations. There is abundant information about JR pass at this website if you haven't visited it at http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Originally Posted by fenger
My initial feeling is that a 14 day JR Rail pass is my best bet, but I've heard that these passes are region specific, and jumping between Osaka, Fukuoka, then Hiroshima may not be eligible for the pass? Sorry about the rudimentary questions I'm asking, I'm just starting my FT research on this topic for this upcomign trip.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:06 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by fenger
Thanks for all the great information above!

Reading about all the different types of JR passes and various train passes really has gotten me more confused than ever, so I've got a few questions for my upcoming first ever trip to Japan hopefully some of you can answer.

Here's my itinerary and related question:
6/24 ORD > KIX, and staying@Westin Osaka for three nights.
I understand there's a train network and as a foreigner, I may be eligible for the discounted JR Passes, which should take me from KIX to Osaka Station, from which point on I can use RTWSTARALLIANCE's advise in getting to the Westin. I am confused on however, what ticket is my best option here and do I need to purchase them before I arrive in Japan? (The note "*A JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be purchased inside Japan." from http://www.westjr.co.jp/english/travel/jrp/ got me worried).

Also, I will be going to the American consulate in Osaka from Westin on Monday 6/26, looking at the map, it's about a 30+ minute walk, does that sound like a good plan or a train ride is a better choice?

6/27 Westin > Fukuoka (for the experience, Bullet Train-Shinkansen is my plan for this leg)
Any suggestions in looking up bullet train schedule, pricing and logistics from Westin? Would a packaged ticket (those 7/14 days passes I've read about) be a better choice with both this leg and earlier KIX to Osaka station leg in mind?

7/6-7/8 Short round-trip between Fukuoka and Hiroshima
No preference on this leg on what train line I'd be taking, but again, would a packaged ticket be a better choice knowing this leg along with the earlier legs between KIX and Osaka, and then Osaka to Fukuoka?

Since I don't see any SPG properties in Hiroshima area off spg.com, any suggestions for a resonable priced hotel ($120-$200 range) or am I missing something completely?

My final leg would be on 7/9, leaving Fukuoka for ORD via FUK.

The passes are only region specific if you get one that is region based. Since your travel involves Hiroshima, Fukuoka, and Osaka you'll need the full pass which for 14 days cost 45,100 Yen. You used to be able to look up the prices for specific routes online, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone local can get the cost of your itinerary to see if it's cheaper to buy individual tickets or the JR Pass. By having a JR Pass you can also go on the other JR lines besides just the Shinkansen.

From the JR Site in regards to what the JR Pass is good for:

Railways: All JR Group Railways-Shinkansen"bullet trains" (except any reserved or non-reserved seat on "NOZOMI" trains), limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains. (With some exceptions).

Buses: Local lines of JR bus companies (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus) and some of JR highway bus services*. (Not valid for the JR Airport Bus service between Central Japan Airport and Nagoya Station.)

* Sapporo-Otaru; Morioka-Hirosaki; Tokyo-Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka,Tsukuba Center; Nagoya-Kyoto, Osaka; Osaka-Tsuyama, Kasai Flower Center

Ferry: Only the JR Miyajima ferry is covered. The JR Hakata-Pusan (Korea) ferry is not covered.

Important notes:
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on "NOZOMI" trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines.(The pass holders must take “HIKARI” or “KODAMA” trains.)If you use a "NOZOMI," you must pay the basic fare and the limited express charge, and for a Green Car the Green Car surcharge. Note also that passengers using JR trains on non-JR lines must pay additional fares and charges for sections traveled on such lines.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
DO NOT get a 14 Day nationwide JR Pass.
Here's why:

KIX-OSAKA (about 3000 yen one way)

Osaka-Fukuoka (about 14,000 one way)
The Shinkansen Station in Fukuoka is Hakata Station the terminal of the Sanyo Shinkansen.

Fukuoka - hiroshima roundtrip by shinkansen (about 18,000yen)

Total: 35000yen

Cost of 14 day Nationwide JR Pass: 45100yen

Save: about 10000 yen by Not getting the 14 day pass.

Because your trips are spread apart and the Japan railpasses are only for consecutive days, I cannot suggest any passes for your long trips.

I would suggest purchasing your major train fares as individual tickets. With the exception of the Train from KIX-Shin-Osaka Station (for that purchase a one day 2000yen JR West Kansai Pass, it saves you about 1000yen than ifyou were to purchase the ticket individually).

You can purchase the JR West Kansai Area Pass at the Kansai JR Airport Station.

Btw we have an extenstive Japan forum here on Flyertalk
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=509

The direct train from Kansai Airport stops at Shin-Osaka Station and not Osaka Station, please refer to the directions from Shin-Osaka Station to Osaka Station mentioned by the OP or in the other thread.

The Shinkansen does not stop at Osaka Station as well, it stops at Shin-Osaka Station, so you'll have to make your way back to Shin-Osaka Station from Osaka Station, which isn't too hard as the stations are a short train ride apart.

I hope that information helps you.

Last edited by railroadtycoon; May 30, 2006 at 7:28 pm
Old May 30, 2006, 7:40 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
If you also take local JR trains during your trip, I would say 14 day JR pass is still the best value. It also saves you the hassle to purchase tickets every single time.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:50 pm
Yub

Originally Posted by kluau88
You used to be able to look up the prices for specific routes online, but I can't seem to find it.
I use the Hyperdia site to find timetable and fare information. Link: Hyperdia English Site
Old May 30, 2006, 7:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
If you also take local JR trains during your trip, I would say 14 day JR pass is still the best value. It also saves you the hassle to purchase tickets every single time.
I disagree.

The poster is saving approximately 10000yen by not getting the 14 day Nationwide JR pass.

The only area where the plans to visit covered by local JR services is Osaka.

Hiroshima has a light rail/tram system not operated by JR, Fukuoka has a subway system where the JR pass would also be invalid.
Though there is a JR line that runs through it.

Local fares by JR is about 130-200yen within Osaka. The poster would have to ride local JR trains about 50 times or make about 25 roundtrips in the 3 days they are in Osaka to fully "pay off" the Rail Pass.
Old May 30, 2006, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
My take.

I certainly am no expert on Japan. I think you do not need to purchase a rail pass. Now the pass being quoted herein must be a regular car pass and not a green car pass. I know that is 37800 for a 7 day as I bought this one. The link above is probably good but I found the schedule via the Japanese National Tourist Organization or google- JNTO. Use the tabs to right to access the train schedules. The pass is convenient if you want to walk in and out of JR lines with ease. From Osaka to Hakata these are almost ALL Hikari Rail Star trains which may run once per hour. Not so great. So just using funds gives you flexibility. Put together your trip using JNTO and you can zoom in on total rail costs.

I did almost exactly what you are talking about this trip. Please see my report which includes Hiroshima within the FT Hyatt forum. I panned the HR in FUK but know you will enjoy as I did the GH albeit a couple years since I have been.

I highly recommend the Hotel Granvia Hiroshima. I did the ANA and it was more. The Rhiga which is popular with some is more in town by the castle. The Granvia was excellent. I booked a single online and paid for the breakfast option. 9000 plus 1500. All rates included taxes and service. And please note my recommendation for dinner at Granvia Tei in B1F on the Hotel. This rate included HSIA wired. It was also nice as by booking via their website they DO NOT ask for a cerdit card so no penalty on cxl. As for Hiroshima you can see the place will keep you busy. Hope that helps.
Old May 30, 2006, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Did ANA before on last trip.
Old May 30, 2006, 8:39 pm

I remember visiting the American Consulate in Osaka. That was a cab ride and I think we stayed at the Ritz. Have no idea what the cost was.
Old May 30, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the advice on Kobe. It looked far away from Kansai, but if there's direct connection, it's more doable. How often does it run, and how much does it cost? I guess the question is whether we'd rather have the 5 minute walk to the Nikko after a long, long travel day or a bus ride to a nicer hotel with more to do around it...
Old May 30, 2006, 9:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by socalterp
Thanks for the advice on Kobe. It looked far away from Kansai, but if there's direct connection, it's more doable. How often does it run, and how much does it cost? I guess the question is whether we'd rather have the 5 minute walk to the Nikko after a long, long travel day or a bus ride to a nicer hotel with more to do around it...
I think two different bus companies run buses:

http://www.okkbus.co.jp/eng/html/pe_kix_kob.html
(Rokko Island stop is at the Kobe Sheraton)

http://www.kate.co.jp/pc/time_table/kobe_tt.html
http://www.kate.co.jp/pc/english/english.html

Last edited by railroadtycoon; May 30, 2006 at 9:34 pm
Old May 30, 2006, 10:58 pm

Wow, didn't mean to highjack the thread into a railroad thread. Thanks everyone for some fantastic information!!! ^
Old May 31, 2006, 2:24 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
SanDiego1K,
Thank you. I am very glad if I could be your help.

RTWSTARALLIANCE,
I will try to post more.
Old May 31, 2006, 5:08 am

Last items.

Yasuki you can be a "star" here also.

Well I was a bum today. Checked out of the Westin and headed over to the Hilton. Gotta get those different stays in. Walked around the underground shopping center and got a foot massage. Walked around Yodobashi electronics section and confirmed my Vaio is still it.

Yasuki recommended the breakfast buffet on 1. The buffet is a combination of American and Japanese style. The add on with my voucher was 1260 net.

Please also be reminded HSIA in the room ends at noon.

When I checked out the agent gave me a voucher for the bus. The driver never asked for it. The bus drops you off at a street with a overpass above. For those who know is this the place for the pickups? Going home tomorrow from KIX. I love Japan but I love home more. Regards from Osaka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.