Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 8:31 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I am learning that indeed the Airport Limousine bus to KIX does NOT make frequent stops taking people from the Westin to KIX let alone back. They sent me an excel spreadsheet and I noted at least one trip each way per day. Does this sound right?
RTWSTARALLIANCE - did you email them? If so, what email address did you use? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2008, 3:00 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
After a "50% discount" (for being Gold?), they charge Y2,100 for "health club" access - all I want to do is swim in the pool... shouldn't pool access be free? It would be a bummer to have to pay $80 just for the family to take a swim
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:35 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
We stayed here for two nights following the same amount of nights at the Westin in Kyoto.

The Westin in Osaka is near to the train station and linked with a shuttle bus which runs every 15 minutes or by walking to the train station.

On arrival, the staff were attentive and the attendant even spoke with a British accent. As platinum, we were upgraded to an executive level room without asking. Welcome amenity was a choice of 500pts, 300yen or so meal discount, two water bottles or a movie. We were also given a breakfast voucher valid either in the lounge, in the amadeus caffe or to have a Japanese breakfast (plus 450Yen).

The room itself was a standard American sized room. It included bathrobes, PJs and a large assortment of soaps. One thing it didn't include was free bottles of water (the one there was on sale for 500Yen!!), similarly coffee was 200Yen per package, a real ripoff considering this was an executive level room. The internet was also not free, and cost 1050yen. Worse, the internet only worked until 12PM, regardless of when it was purchased rather than a 24 hour connection. Turndown service was nice and effective also.

We went up to the lounge which was essentially two rooms put together and really tight in space (have never seen anything so small for 5 executive floors). Unfortunately, everything in this lounge is served to you. This means even getting nuts or water is somewhat of an effort versus serving yourself.

We came back for the happy hour.

We nearly got apprehended as we were about to serve food from the carts ourselves. My first thought was that there wasn't much food compared to other lounges. It turned out, that they serve you some food. Whilst the food is ok in quality, you really need to bring a microscope to be able to see it. You won't fill yourself up on this.

For breakfast, one morning we went to the Amadeus restaurant which was a disaster. We gave them our vouchers yet seconds after they brought us a bill for the full amount which meant the poor girl had to call her manager just to correct the thing. In the end, just for the priviledge of using the buffet we were asked to pay 450 yen. The quality of the buffet was really horrible (I have been sick since for two days) and rarely replenished. The next day, the buffet in the lounge proved to be a better choice and provided nearly everything amadeus provided minus some hot items such as scrambled eggs or bacon. We found that it to be sufficing although there also I found the food hard to digest for some reason (on both days).

Overall, the decor is somewhat dated, service was friendly. The shuttle ran promptly and was useful for us. The lounge really brought down the hotel for me and after visiting the Osaka Hilton that will probably be the place where I go if I ever come back to Osaka.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Has anyone got the email address of the Westin OSaka.
Cannot find it on the website.
Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:29 am

We recently returned home after a stay in Japan including the Westin Osaka. Based upon the information in another thread, we decided upon the Westin over the Sheraton and as usual, now realize the value of the advice we received from others on this board. Armed with directions within Osaka station, we succeeded in seeing the hotel, but it appeared to far to walk, so we hailed a cab to the hotel. We considered trying to find the Westin bus, but were unsuccessful.

Checkin was efficient and we were given room 2111,a Junior Suite, that was not on the SPG floor. Rooms like ours appear to be what Frommer describes as superior corner rooms in this hotel, and although he described it as L-shaped, we thought a better description was J-shaped. We entered into the entry hall which had a slim desk and chair positioned strategically so that one could navigate the small space then made a 90 degree angle into the bedroom. Off the bedroom was a good sized bath with seperate shower and bath. Our view was to Osaka Station and we could watch the Westin minibus in transit. Like others we were offered a choice of ammenities and took the points.

The SPG lounge was closed for reconstruction, and noted that perhaps GVA's evaluation of the space was the reason. Hence we were given vouchers for the Continental breakfast in Amadeus, the facility off the lobby, and told that if we wanted to partake in the buffet, then we would have to pay a premium of a few bucks. We tried the buffet on our first day, and then opted for the continental breakfast on succeeding days. Happy hour was also in the lobby, and we were treated to our usual martinis (complimentary) prior to venturing out for dinner.

We becane experts in using the Westin Minibus back and forth to the hotel; as predicted it is difficult to find. We noted that the JR Expressway bus depot is very close to the loading area for the Westin and other hotel minibuses, and signs for the JR Expressway bus are common through Osaka Station. Upon arriving back in the station, we followed the signs to the JR bus, and upon finding it on our left as we exited the station, walked about 10 feet further to leave the station, made an immediate right and the Westin and other bus stop was 10 feet up the road. The Westin bus is the second one in line, and runs every 15 minutes beginning at 7:50 AM.

We found the hotel comfortable, and the staff helped up obtain tickets to a circus that was in town-not a small feat when we realized how popular the circus was, and how crowded it was. Kudos to the concierge staff for their hard work calling, recalling, and again recalling to assure that we had tickets for a performance of interest. Their recommendations for restaurants in the neighborhood also were quite satisfactory.

Without a doubt, we would stay at this hotel again.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:25 am

New Executive Club Lounge is open now

Just stayed at the property a couple of days ago. Since I was unable to see my reservation details on spg.com, I knew I was pre-upgraded.

My room was Jr Suite on Executive Club floor which consisted of bedroom, living room, 2 full bathrooms + 2 fridges, etc.

I was informed their Executive Club Lounge expansion/remodeling was finally completed. ^ Remembering the original one was so tiny which had only 4 small tables and almost impossible to have breakfast during the peak time, I was looking forward to seeing the new one.

The lounge is located on the same floor as the original one (26th Floor) and it looked really nice. The size was apparently more than doubled, and the base color of the walls and furniture are darker along with dark lightings (looks similar to the Executive Club Lounge in Westin Tokyo) now.

Their evening cocktail hours (18:00-19:30) include free drinks (red/white wines, domestic/import beers, cocktails, whisky, sake, etc.) along with cold appetizers (5-6 kinds). There were 2 different kinds of seafood salad, chicken plate, cold cuts, and cheese plate on the day.

The biggest changes from the past were;
(1) You can serve yourself for appetizers.
(2) The lounge is open till 22:00 now, and you still can get one free alcohol drink between 19:30 and 22:00. Soft drinks are complimentary till 22:00.

The breakfast options in the lounge are also upgraded. Now they serve hot items such as cooked eggs (scrumble and boiled) and bacon/sausages. The potato soup was excellent. Because of the space expansion, we did not have to experience the table shortage. By paying JPY459 (about US$5) additionally, you can eat full buffet at Amadeus (1F) or Japanese meal at Hinano (3F), but the lounge option was good enough (for me).

They still don't have Wi-Fi connection within the Executive Lounge - yet.

Overall I enjoyed the stay. ^
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
last stay in december 08

Yeah, the remodelling was already there when I visited on December 18. I got upgraded to a full suite on the top floor but we were three in the room and another hotel has called to recommend me.

I found breakfast sub-par compared to the Westin Tokyo, few things are more horrible in the morning then lukewarm Eggs Benedict.

Decor is pretty dated, service did not strike me as especially incredible, once again inferior compared to its Tokyo counterpart.

Osaka station is a ten minutes walks, and considering the duration of the red traffic lights, you might actually be quicker by foot than by taking the shuttle.

I can't wait for Starwood to at some point revitalize its presence in Japan. Compared to Hilton it's really poor, not to mention upscale options like Shangri-La, but we are definitely not talking about the same range of course...
Old May 16, 2009, 6:40 am

Additional Charge for Early Check-In

This afternoon (16.May), I made a reservation at Westin Osaka for one night, checkin on 31.Aug.09. One hour later, I received an email from the hotel Reservations Department stating (paraphrasing):
> your reservation states that you will arrive at hotel at 11:30am, but hotel checkin time is 2:00pm
> if the room is available, we will give it to you
> alternatively, you can confirm now to pay for early checkin: if you arrive at 11:30am, the charge is 50% of room charge. If arrive after 12:00 noon, the charge is 25% of room charge.

Is this normal for this hotel? And, is it normal for them to ask me to confirm this so early (my stay is over 3 months away)? Is the first week of September a special holiday in Japan that the hotel can anticipate now that so many guests will stay the night before, so that I should pay to confirm an early checkin?

My reservations profile should already note that I am an SPG Platinum number. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that the hotel would even ask this at this stage.
Old May 16, 2009, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
This afternoon (16.May), I made a reservation at Westin Osaka for one night, checkin on 31.Aug.09. One hour later, I received an email from the hotel Reservations Department stating (paraphrasing):
> your reservation states that you will arrive at hotel at 11:30am, but hotel checkin time is 2:00pm
> alternatively, you can confirm now to pay for early checkin: if you arrive at 11:30am, the charge is 50% of room charge. If arrive after 12:00 noon, the charge is 25% of room charge.

Is this normal for this hotel? And, is it normal for them to ask me to confirm this so early (my stay is over 3 months away)? Is the first week of September a special holiday in Japan that the hotel can anticipate now that so many guests will stay the night before, so that I should pay to confirm an early checkin?

My reservations profile should already note that I am an SPG Platinum number. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that the hotel would even ask this at this stage.
Fly Me To The Moon - While I agree that the communication from the hotel sounds quite weird, I believe this is "typically Japanese" - they are just following the rules and want to let you know about their standard check-in time. (to avoid any fights upon your arrival)

Keep in mind that some hotels here in Japan are still denying complimentary early check-ins even if that room is ready, but the Westin Osaka will try to accommodate your early check-in request, for free. I would not respond to the email (just to say that I don't want to pay the extra) but will ask politely at check-in if my room is ready. In my opinion, I am pretty sure you will get your room at 11:30am (especially if you say you were on a red-eye flight) unless they are really full the night before. I got my upgraded suite at 8:00am last year - without problem and they even offered me a free breakfast on arrival.^

For your information, September 20 to 23 is a nation-wide special holiday here in Japan, starting this year.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:29 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG

Frankly, I'm quite surprised that the hotel would even ask this at this stage.
Dearest Fly Me To The Moon,

Are you surprised that the hotel would send you this email because you are a Platinum member?

Individual properties may apply charges for early check-in and there is no official policy that I know of, which indicates that early check-in is complimentary for any membership level.

In this case, perhaps due to the coming September holidays in Japan, properties would like to encourage guests to plan ahead in order to avoid the possibility of not having a room available upon arrival at the property.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old May 18, 2009, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Dearest Fly Me To The Moon,

Are you surprised that the hotel would send you this email because you are a Platinum member?

Individual properties may apply charges for early check-in and there is no official policy that I know of, which indicates that early check-in is complimentary for any membership level.

In this case, perhaps due to the coming September holidays in Japan, properties would like to encourage guests to plan ahead in order to avoid the possibility of not having a room available upon arrival at the property.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
It was not my meaning to say that a Platinum member is entitled to early check-in, and I apologize if I made it sound that way. Of course, there is no OFFICIAL policy of early-checkin granted to any guest, but I would hope that there is some leeway for elite members.

HOWEVER, I am still quite surprised that the hotel would ask at this stage whether I would like to confirm to pay for an early checkin so that my room is blocked off for a few hours earlier in the day. As you say, the September holidays may be a peak period in Japan, but you will note that I have booked for checkin in 31.Aug, which to my knowledge, is not a major holiday (or is it still considered the peak summer season?).

Furthermore, if I DO block off a room for a few hours early in the morning, what room am I exactly blocking off? Platinum members ARE entitled to suite upgrades upon availability at checkin, so would I be blocking off a suite? I would assume not, so if I paid extra to block off a room, how does that leave my upgrade chances to a suite? See, it still doesn't make complete sense to me.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:52 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...HOWEVER, I am still quite surprised that the hotel would ask at this stage whether I would like to confirm to pay for an early checkin so that my room is blocked off for a few hours earlier in the day. As you say, the September holidays may be a peak period in Japan, but you will note that I have booked for checkin in 31.Aug, which to my knowledge, is not a major holiday (or is it still considered the peak summer season?).
My take on this is 1) they noted your request to check-in early; and 2) they are willing to confirm your early check-in by charging an extra fee and blocking out the room; or 3) they are willing for you to take a chance that an early check-in may not be available, but keep your request in case it is. To me, it seems that they are trying to gauge how important this early check-in is so you are not disappointed when you arrive. If it is of uber importance, then they will block off the room now for a fee. If it is not, then they will just let things pan out however they happen.

Furthermore, if I DO block off a room for a few hours early in the morning, what room am I exactly blocking off? Platinum members ARE entitled to suite upgrades upon availability at checkin, so would I be blocking off a suite?
No, clearly the price quoted is for the same room type you booked originally.

I would assume not, so if I paid extra to block off a room, how does that leave my upgrade chances to a suite? See, it still doesn't make complete sense to me.
I guess it would depend upon what is available at check-in...as usual.

Frankly, all of what they have done makes perfect sense to me, but YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 18, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
> alternatively, you can confirm now to pay for early checkin: if you arrive at 11:30am, the charge is 50% of room charge. If arrive after 12:00 noon, the charge is 25% of room charge........
The check-in person should have mentioned the extra charge before you take the key.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:14 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Is pool/jacuzzi use free for Platinum?

I will appreciate any info from Plat guests. We have 8 nights here as a base for the Kansai area. Booked a corner room on points.

Aside from access to the exec lounge (I assume free breakfast and cocktails) what benefits are offered to Plat guests? Usually stay at Swissotel due to location but it's hard to go past 8 free nights over Xmas/New Year. The corne room normally goes for 60k a night at this time.

I'm hoping they include access to the pool/jacuzzi and not only the gym.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
I will appreciate any info from Plat guests. We have 8 nights here as a base for the Kansai area. Booked a corner room on points.

Aside from access to the exec lounge (I assume free breakfast and cocktails) what benefits are offered to Plat guests? Usually stay at Swissotel due to location but it's hard to go past 8 free nights over Xmas/New Year. The corne room normally goes for 60k a night at this time.

I'm hoping they include access to the pool/jacuzzi and not only the gym.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Yes, you'll have access to the lounge (see my post above for lounge details) and the pool/jacuzzi in addition to the (tiny - really!) gym.

I am not a big fan of their corner room myself - most of the space is taken for the hallway and actual bedroom space is rather small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.