Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast

This was an "Executive" room - so perhaps they look more fresh than rooms on other floors?
Compared with the photos I saw on Marriott’s website, the issue I have is that the base guest rooms have the light coloured wallpaper with a crème coloured vinyl (or what looks like vinyl, whenever that was in style) headboard mixed with light tan carpet and a light teal armchair and drapes. The choice of colour (especially the armchair which looks like it is from the 1970s) just screams “the early 2000s” and there’s just no contrast at all.

Compared with your photos where the carpet is a darker shade of brown and the headboard is darker and looks wooden so the room at least has some colour contrast to it. The ottoman at the end of the bed also helps your room feel more modern.

One more thing I did also just notice was the SNA option was for the standard suite in a corner room, which can be had in with 1 king or 2 twin beds… versus the base rooms with either 1 king or 2 double beds. So I’m unapplying the SNAs and either hoping for an upgrade (which appear to be high-floor rooms with double beds) since I am traveling with 2 companions.

The layout of the corner suite room from what I could find on Youtube also looked horrible, so much wasted space. Walk in, 1 small sitting area with chairs and a TV, walk down one very long hallway into the bedroom where there is the old outdated chair once again and what may be less space than the standard room. I’ll also point out most of the other suites have double beds. Would be nice to get upgraded to the Junior, Executive, or European suite with double beds but I’m not holding my breath.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Can 2 adults sleep comfortable on the double deb in the base room?
Old May 4, 2023, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by gogomustangs
Can 2 adults sleep comfortable on the double deb in the base room?
If they are the same double beds used in the upgraded rooms (the ones with executive lounge access), then theoretically it should not be too bad. But not sure if the hotel will let you do that- I had 3 people total in my room and they put in a rollaway bed.

I'll put up a more thorough post with my impressions of the hotel on a later date.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:01 pm

Okies, way way way delayed but finally getting a post put on here about my stay in April.

Arrived here for a two-night stay with my two friends from Hiroshima. Got off at Shin-Osaka station, then it was a transfer onto the subway and another 1-km walk or so from Osaka station. You walk past an enormous shopping mall to a large construction site but the building is tall and serves as a beacon of sort to guide you there. Arrived around 12:30 PM and the room was ready about 30 minutes later. Staff grasp of English was satisfactory. The decor of the hotel... it's hard to describe. It's... not modern by a longshot and outdated. But not the sort of outdated that makes one wretch and gag, from the tan and brown colour palates to the carpet and furniture patterns. A celebration of the late 1970s as interpreted by the late 2000s/early 2010s?

But anyway... I did get upgraded to a larger room with an extra bed and lounge access, but the room still felt a bit cramped and cluttered especially compared with the Hilton Hiroshima where we came from the past day. Maybe it was all the furniture that was in the room. The suites did not seem worth it (small room layout and smaller beds vs the non-suite rooms) and I didn't want to chance it with my SNAs. Bed comfort was okay but didn't feel plush. The control panel next to the bed to control things like lights and blinds was a buttonfest.

Unlike the Hilton, I did get a chance to go to the lounge upstairs and try the bakery downstairs. For the lounge, the ladies at the entryway checked my temperature the first day before I went in, but not on the second day. The food itself was the same the both days, a potato dish, a rice dish, and a pork dish, all of average quality. There was also a set appetizer try which my friend and I shared the second day which was better. 1 or 2 red and white wines plus a sparkling were on offer, of average quality. What was above average though were the views. Spectacular.

Breakfast downstairs was of good quality, including some unusual things on offer, including vegetable pot au feu and a truffle omelette. The cakes on offer at the bakery downstairs (see last 2 pictures) were very good, and my friends and I made a makeshift "afternoon tea" session. Do note that there were several cakes on display where the clerk said were not available.

Would I recommend this hotel? Well, it was reasonably priced, but it's a bit further north than the main tourist destinations of Osaka. The food was good and the staff were friendly enough. But I associate the Westin brand with being upscale and I struggle to see who they are targeting with this definition of being "upscale" with this decor. Add in what looks like a lousy room for usage of SNAs and I would struggle to say yes, but I struggle to say no. If anything, it needs an update.

Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Goldeneyeuro
Compared with the photos I saw on Marriott’s website, the issue I have is that the base guest rooms have the light coloured wallpaper with a crème coloured vinyl (or what looks like vinyl, whenever that was in style) headboard mixed with light tan carpet and a light teal armchair and drapes. The choice of colour (especially the armchair which looks like it is from the 1970s) just screams “the early 2000s” and there’s just no contrast at all.

Compared with your photos where the carpet is a darker shade of brown and the headboard is darker and looks wooden so the room at least has some colour contrast to it. The ottoman at the end of the bed also helps your room feel more modern.

One more thing I did also just notice was the SNA option was for the standard suite in a corner room, which can be had in with 1 king or 2 twin beds… versus the base rooms with either 1 king or 2 double beds. So I’m unapplying the SNAs and either hoping for an upgrade (which appear to be high-floor rooms with double beds) since I am traveling with 2 companions.

The layout of the corner suite room from what I could find on Youtube also looked horrible, so much wasted space. Walk in, 1 small sitting area with chairs and a TV, walk down one very long hallway into the bedroom where there is the old outdated chair once again and what may be less space than the standard room. I’ll also point out most of the other suites have double beds. Would be nice to get upgraded to the Junior, Executive, or European suite with double beds but I’m not holding my breath.
Thanks for the report.

I am booked at Westin Osaka for 3 days after Thanksgiving. Since I travel alone and have SNAs expiring soon, so I applied SNA. Only corner suite is available for upgrade. Room rate is 35K JPY per night.

I am also considering Osaka W hotel which costs 50K JPY a night. Is W worth the premium over Westin?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by kb1992
Thanks for the report.

I am booked at Westin Osaka for 3 days after Thanksgiving. Since I travel alone and have SNAs expiring soon, so I applied SNA. Only corner suite is available for upgrade. Room rate is 35K JPY per night.

I am also considering Osaka W hotel which costs 50K JPY a night. Is W worth the premium over Westin?
Frankly I would take W. I don’t mind the dated decor of Westin, but that 1k walk from the station to the hotel is really a bit long and unpleasant (part of it next to a construction site), and there is really nothing around the hotel. W is at a much better location and it’s much newer.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williamluk
Frankly I would take W. I don’t mind the dated decor of Westin, but that 1k walk from the station to the hotel is really a bit long and unpleasant (part of it next to a construction site), and there is really nothing around the hotel. W is at a much better location and it’s much newer.
What about Marriott Osaka? It seems that Marriott has better view and is newer?

Average room rates for my stay:

Westin 33,000
Marriott 52,000
W-Hotel 55,000
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by kb1992
What about Marriott Osaka? It seems that Marriott has better view and is newer?

Average room rates for my stay:

Westin 33,000
Marriott 52,000
W-Hotel 55,000
Never stayed there so really can’t comment. But the location is decent with good transportation. It’s at the south side of Osaka and got a different vibe from the northern part, but nevertheless quite interesting also.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williamluk
Never stayed there so really can’t comment. But the location is decent with good transportation. It’s at the south side of Osaka and got a different vibe from the northern part, but nevertheless quite interesting also.
I booked Sheraton, Westin, W, and Marriott for 3 days.

Sheraton 25,000
Westin 33,000
Marriott 52,000
W-Hotel 55,000

Sheraton and Marriott do not offer SNA so I canceled both bookings. I have SNAs expiring on 12/31.

So it's between Westin and W.

I might select Westin based on price. After reading both Westin and W threads, I am not sure that W is worth 66,000 JPY more vs Westin for 3 nights.
williamluk likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:44 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I had the opportunity to stay at the Westin Osaka after 11 months in a newly-renovated room - I have to say that my impressions of the hotel have improved since my last stay. I’m sure I’ll return.

Note: I believe there are only a couple of renovated floors at this time.

Pros:
  • While my room type only showed an upgrade to an Executive High Floor on the 29th floor, I asked for a renovated room (Renewal Room) at check-in and received zero pushback - had to wait until 12:30 PM - great for lunch and then coming back
  • The new design (bathrooms are the same) is nice and modern while still feeling like the old Westin - convenient room control panels like the old days, nice crown moulding
  • Lounger couch and desk chair were comfortable
  • Bed was very comfortable - mattress felt more plush than I remembered, covers decently plush, pillows plush and comfy
  • Shower pressure is good
  • Nice view out towards Osaka and pretty quiet, too
  • Same welcome gift of tasty packaged cakes - gobbled them up
  • While I skipped evening service, I loved the afternoon tea at the lounge - tasty cakes, delicious cheesecake, friendly service, nice peppermint tea
  • Breakfast is only in the restaurant - since I knew to avoid the eggs Benedict, I enjoyed my omelet, and the French toast was really good (had three pieces)
  • Offered late checkout proactively - no issue with 3 PM
  • The ground staff is very friendly - they call the elevators for you and bow as the doors close - I always bow back
  • Shuttle bus to Umeda / JR Osaka was running - made the walk to the Conrad slightly easier

Cons:
  • Not much

I will return.

Photos:

​​​​​​​
Singapore_Air and lamphs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.