Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Buganvilias, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Buganvilias, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Arrow Sheraton Buganvilias, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

I just returned from a weekend stay at the Sheraton Buganvilias, and it was my worst stay ever at a Starwood property... I have read the other threads on Puerto Vallarta Starwood hotels (generally good experiences), but mine was so bad, I thought I would share...

It all started at check-in... The setup there was a disaster: no lines, four or five people behind the counter, two at most working... When I finally made it to the counter, the attendant was unable to find my reservation, despite my providing him with the confirmation number, and the confirmation email that I had received from the hotel itself. At one point, he almost gave me someone else's reservation, on the basis that the rate matched! Thankfully, he eventually found my reservation (after 15 minutes). I would not have wanted to be the customer whose reservation they almost gave me: could you imagine his surprise if he had shown up only to be told that he had already checked-in? Also, no upgrade (I am only gold, but it would have been nice considering the rate we paid - didn't ask though, because I expected a nice room for that rate).

When I booked, I went with one of the more expensive rates, as it gave (or rather should have) us a better room, and included access to the lounge for breakfast and afternoon snacks, butler service, and other amenities. None of these were mentioned to me at check-in, nor was I told where the lounge was located. I called guest services to inquire, and was told that breakfast was served at the restaurant and nowhere else. It took a trip to the concierge to finally get a knowledgeable answer. So much for the added attention of the more expensive rate! Furthermore, I just found out from other threads that there actually was some added service by getting the "butler" service, which included a welcome glass of champagne in some cases. We never saw the "butler", or anybody else for that matter. Had I gone with the cheaper rates, that would have been ok, but in this case, I am quite disappointed.

To add insult to injury, the room we were put in experienced constant power outages (the room only, not the hotel). As an example, I got stuck in the shower at 10:45pm with no light (pitch black outside) and no electricity. After 30 minutes, the electricity finally came back on... I immediately went to the concierge and asked for a manager, who he claimed to be. I expressed my disappointment and was told that he would see to it that the problem was fixed. When I left the hotel yesterday, the problem was still not fixed.

The room itself was extremely basic despite all the talk of renovation at the hotel. The minibar was locked (and we were not offered the key - not that we would necessarily have used it, but I did not book that stay with priceline...).

Finally, the only thing that worked as expected was late check-out (4pm, as a SPG Gold member). However, as I am sure you have all experienced, room keys are automatically de-activated at noon. So I pre-emptively went to the front desk to get my key reactivated around 1pm. They assured me that there was no need to do so, and that the key would work. Sure enough, it did not and I was forced to return to the front desk to get it re-activated. The hotel is huge, and relatively run-down, making trips to the 22nd floor quite long - despite the website's claim of renovation. When I returned, the front desk attendant actually told me it was my fault, and that I must have put my room key next to a TV or magnetic object!

Last but not least, I think I was overcharged for the stay (I am trying to get that resolved directly with Starwood because the staff of the hotel would not budge or even try to explain the added room charges - they may be accurate though, to be continued...). The room rate seemed right (in pesos rather than dollars), they added a room tax of 15% (as expected), another tax of 2% (also expected), and a "towers" tax of about 9% that I was not expecting, nor was mentioned or suggested in my confirmation email. Furthermore, the hotel automatically adds a "donation" to the bill of 10.40 pesos. Now that was a first!

Overall, the service I received at this hotel was disastrous. I expressed my disappointment to two managers, none of which seemed interested or even bothered to rectify the situation. Based on this stay, I would avoid this hotel at all costs. On the other hand, most of the comments I have read were quite good, so maybe I just "lucked out"...

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Jun 24, 2007 at 11:02 am Reason: Return original post title after creating master thread
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:52 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Puerto Villarta

Should have made it down the El Tamarindo or gone over to the Westin. I have read good things on those properties. Sounds like a bad stay, thanks for the update.

Flyfarfar
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I will keep El Tamarindo in mind for next time. The Westin, alas, was sold out. Maybe the fact that the Sheraton was one of the very few hotels with availability should have been a dead giveaway...
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I have never stayed at this property, but I have passed it many times en route from PVR to the Playa de los Muertos/Olas Altas part of old town, and it gets my vote for ugliest Starwood property from the outside, not to mention the part of town it is in. Blech.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Follow-up and reply from a manager of the hotel...

In my book, the response of the manager was quite lacking, and further empasized the carefree (and "don't care about the customer") attitude at this hotel. None of my major concerns were addressed - namely no electricity in the room, bad information and overcharging. I am not impressed. The 3000 points, while a nice gesture, still do not change the fact that the hotel did not meet expectations, nor do they seem to care at all...

-------------
Dear Gringo:

Thank you for your recent stay at our Sheraton Buganvilias Resort &
Convention Center in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

We are sorry to learn on the incidents as related via our website for
Starwood. According to our records, your reservation was a last minute
booking, it entered just a couple of hours previous to your arrival,
that was the reason it was not ready on your registration, please accept our
apologies for that situation.

As per your booking, the Towers Services were included on the quoted
rate, which is a Continental Breakfast and One Hour Hors d’oeuvres at the
Towers Lounge. We apologize for the misinformation received on this included
features.

You can be assured all your comments have been shared with the involved
personnel, and corrective actions have been taken to then.

Due to all the incidents you had with your recent stay, we would like
you to accept 3000 Starpoints, that could be posted on your Starwood Preferred Guest Account. We remind you that these Starpoints could be used for future stays and/or gifts at any of the Starwood participating properties.
Please confirm your acceptance to this offer and confirm your membership
number same via, in order to issue the proper credit.

Once again, please accept our apologies and thank you for sharing the
feedback of your stay with us.

Our Best Regards,

Antonio Yam
Customer Services Manager
Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
-------------

I sent back an angry reply and then got the following useless response...

--------------
Dear Gringo:

While we appreciate your constructive criticism, we would like to add
the following comments.

1) Last minute bookings are named the ones made within 24 hours from
the arrival date. That is why your reservation was a last minute one.

Fine... but could have been clearer the first time around. As stated in my initial email to him, not a big deal, just annoying.

2) The electricity problem, was tried to handled by our On Duty
Manager, but yo state your wife was asleep and refuse both, the entrance of our engineering to check and correct the problem, and/or a room change.

This one is BS! Never offered to change rooms or to fix the problem... said they would fix it from outside the room...

3) We have no information about room key, however as a regular
procedure all our clerks are well informed that due check out being at noon, late check out's keys most be re-programmed.

Obviously someone did not know, but again, according to the manager, all my fault...

4) Your SPG number was requested, just to verify the posting of our
compensation offer, nut we do have your records. It was only a
reconfirmation matter.

Right...

Thank you for your good wishes, but unfortunately you did not indicate
if you are willing to take the Starpoints offered. Please reply.

Antonio Yam
Customer Services Manager
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:10 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Thank you for sharing your experience at this property. We've got two reservations there for July in a Towers room and I also expected quite a nice room and good service. From their website it appears that the Tower rooms have a nicer decor than the standard rooms and someone said that the butler service really only consists of a cup of tea in the morning to your room. Well, it's better than nothing!

I really hope that your stay is not an indication of how they treat their Club Floor guests in general. I might have to contact the hotel in advance to avoid disappointment like you describe it. Did you actually get to use the club lounge during your stay at all? It'd be interesting to find out what they offer there? Maybe free internet and some nice canapees?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: MVPG(since03), HHg
HAD a reservation for Sheraton in PVR. We booked back in Sep 05 for Mar 06. Noticed a trend by reading lots of reviews on TripAdvisor.com. We were/are unable to get a Westin room, they're full. So we cancelled, staying elsewhere. But we plan to visit Nikki Beach Club at the Westin, always fun and relaxing (kinda big outdoor beds to lay on with good food and hip tunes).

Don't know whats up with the Sheraton, but hard to ignore tons of bad reviews.

b
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow. That sounds brutal. Worst of all - it doesn't sound like a totally isolated oddball problem. It sounds like some very fundamental, systematic issues at the hotel.

I'm headed to PVR in April, and (thankfully) have two award rooms booked for the Westin with confirmed upgrades to the Royal Beach Club level. (Paying $40/room/nt. for those confirmed upgrades - I hope it's worth it.) Part of me would really like to be heading down the coast to one of the Luxury Collection props, but from reading the reviews it sounds like the Westin might actually be better for us as a family spot. Besides, fewer Starpoints and no need for a rental car.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sydfly
Did you actually get to use the club lounge during your stay at all? It'd be interesting to find out what they offer there? Maybe free internet and some nice canapees?
Yes, we did use the lounge. After calling around and getting nowhere, I went to the concierge desk and finally got an answer: "oh, it's on the 23rd floor: did you not get the welcome materials?" - no we did not, but he did not have any so he recommended that we get them from the lounge... He vaguely mentioned the butler service, but did not elaborate enough. I wish I had checked flyertalk and trip advisor before going...

As for what they offer at the lounge: Continental breakfast (oddly, no toast or anything that could use butter or jam, but they do have butter and jam... did not quite get that one...). Also, in the afternoon, snacks (ok, although not the best I have experienced at Starwood lounges). Interestingly, they only serve wine, OJ, tea or coffee - no soft drinks. They also take your room number when you ask for water. I don't know if they charge for water... On the plus side, the staff was very nice.

As for internet, no access at the hotel, as far as I can tell. Definitely not at the lounge. Enjoy your stay, and good luck!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:45 am

We are at the PVR Westin in a couple of weeks and were planning to extend our visit for a few more days, perhaps staying at the Sheraton. Based upon your recommendations, we will extend at the Westin.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:33 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton PV for 10 days at the end of December/early January with my husband and 2 daughters. Overall, we were satisfied with the stay. I suppose it helped that we had re-booked it when its category changed from 3 to 2--it saved a whole bunch of points. I did go ahead and pay an extra 10K points (1K per night) to be upgraded to a Towers room. I agree that the I didn't find the service at the front desk to be great, although I found the servers at breakfast and happy hour to be good. I also didn't find the food to be wonderful at either breakfast or happy hour, but seeing as we did feed 4 people for only a 1K points, I was pleased. The breakfast was continental, but provided enough variety that everyone was satisfied. I do wish that they would have provided beer at happy hour. Wine and champagne were the only 2 alcoholic beverage options, neither of which my husband or I care for. My daughters were able to get soda.

I would agree that our room was basic and dated. Also, we were about as far from the elevator as you could get, so that meant a long hike to get to our room.

The biggest plus for the Sheraton in our opinion is its close location to downtown. For my husband and me it would have been walkable, but with the two kids, we just took the bus in (which picks up right in front of the hotel). The location alone is enough for us to pick it over the Westin. However, we did not see the Westin, so maybe if I had I'd change my mind about that.

I can understand the OP's disappointment after booking at an expensive rate and receiving poor service. I'm sure my satisfaction with the property is colored by the fact that I had 10 days in Puerto Vallarta for only 45K points.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by grgs
I did go ahead and pay an extra 10K points (1K per night) to be upgraded to a Towers room.
While we're on the topic, I've been wondering this...has anyone done this similar upgrade at the Westin? 1K per night for Royal Beach Club...

Reason I ask is that immediately after booking our award stay (2rooms x 5nts for 56,000 points), the hotel offered us confirmed RBC for $40/room/nt. We briefly considered gambling on what our Gold status might yield on its own, but then decided to accept the offer. Our stay is during April and rates are high enough that it seems the hotel is close to selling out, so we'll spend the $$$ for peace of mind. (We got a personal note back from the property saying that we are now confirmed in Beach Club rooms.)

I know I won't call and try to switch from $40 to 1K points...I'd be afraid of something getting crossed up in the reservation and us NOT getting the rooms. I'm just curious more than anything.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:37 pm

Were traveling to pv next month. I have seen several people mention the RBC for $40 how and when do you purchase it? Is avail at both properties or just westin? We are currently booked at the sheraton with the following accomodation. I am new to spg and I don't fully understand how to read the room description please help.

Room description 2Dbl Bds, Ocean View, Highest Floors, Cont.Bkfst, Aftnon Hor S D'& Wine,Buttler Svce,Cable Tv, Minibar, Safe,No Rollaways

Room amenities Butler Service, Continental Brkfst, Luxury Ocean View, Vip Lounge, Hairdryer
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by ztweetie
Were traveling to pv next month. I have seen several people mention the RBC for $40 how and when do you purchase it? Is avail at both properties or just westin? We are currently booked at the sheraton with the following accomodation. I am new to spg and I don\'t fully understand how to read the room description please help.

Room description 2Dbl Bds, Ocean View, Highest Floors, Cont.Bkfst, Aftnon Hor S D\'& Wine,Buttler Svce,Cable Tv, Minibar, Safe,No Rollaways

Room amenities Butler Service, Continental Brkfst, Luxury Ocean View, Vip Lounge, Hairdryer
I believe that the Royal Beach Club is only at the Westin, and the Sheratons answer for that is the continental breakfast, VIP lounge, etc that are offered with the CLUB LEVEL rooms.

As for the rate you have above, that seems to be pretty straightforward to me: An ocean view room with 2 double beds, butler service, horsderves, breakfast and the rest.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by ztweetie
Were traveling to pv next month. I have seen several people mention the RBC for $40 how and when do you purchase it? Is avail at both properties or just westin? We are currently booked at the sheraton with the following accomodation. I am new to spg and I don't fully understand how to read the room description please help.

Room description 2Dbl Bds, Ocean View, Highest Floors, Cont.Bkfst, Aftnon Hor S D'& Wine,Buttler Svce,Cable Tv, Minibar, Safe,No Rollaways

Not sure what Sheraton calls it, but the Westin PVR called their lounge the Royal Beach Club. That's all it really is: a concierge lounge. Fancy name, huh? That said, the one at the Westin was a pretty darn good lounge: full open bar and a pretty decent food selection in the evening. Breakfast was nearly a full buffet: hot items as well as the usual continental stuff. And yes, we screwdrivers/mimosas were flowing.

So, I think you already have a similar thing included in your booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.