Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:35 pm

Just checked into Sheraton Grand in Sydney. I am platinum. Booked two rooms. Room 1 was upgraded using SNA to a suite that includes club lounge access. Room 2 is standard room. At check-in, front desk agent tells me that as plt I am only entitled to lounge access for one room. I say that is right, so list me in room 2 since guests in room 1 get lounge access with the suite. Agent tells me that is incorrect because club lounge access is not afforded to suite guests who have the suite as a result of an SNA. She claims that is hotel policy. Says if I booked directly into the same suite, I would have lounge access. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

I understood that whatever suite privileges came with a suite, actually came with the suite no matter how the suite was obtained. And, indeed, suite confirmation in my reservation makes clear the suite includes lounge access.

I think the hotel is playing games.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
No, that makes sense to me. SNAs are non-transferable so the elite member should be the one registered in the SNA upgraded room.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’ll be checkin in Friday for a week. Not surprising, the suites are no longer showing as available.

im already in an King City view, and will have lounge access. Seems like all the higher categories short of suites are the same size.

Guess I can hope for a Park View upgrade, unless they aren’t even doing that. What makes the Grand Executive City View so Grand in terms of hard product. Looks like the same size. Just a higher floor?
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
No, that makes sense to me. SNAs are non-transferable so the elite member should be the one registered in the SNA upgraded room.
That’s not listed in the FAQs.

Can Suite Night Awards be transferred?

Suite Night Awards cannot be transferred or given as a gift, however, a member may use Suite Night Awards for additional single-room reservations on his/her own stay as long as the member is present for the stay and the other rooms are under the member's name.”
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I’ll be checkin in Friday for a week. Not surprising, the suites are no longer showing as available.

im already in an King City view, and will have lounge access. Seems like all the higher categories short of suites are the same size.

Guess I can hope for a Park View upgrade, unless they aren’t even doing that. What makes the Grand Executive City View so Grand in terms of hard product. Looks like the same size. Just a higher floor?
FWIW, no grand exec suites showed available online when my SNA cleared. You can have our room when I vacate it Friday.

And I couldn’t discern a hard product difference with grand exec city view either. My second room is that and is supposed to have lounge access.
beachfan likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 3:22 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ross0
FWIW, no grand exec suites showed available online when my SNA cleared. You can have our room when I vacate it Friday.

And I couldn’t discern a hard product difference with grand exec city view either. My second room is that and is supposed to have lounge access.
I believe Grand simply means highly floor. Executive confers Club access.

The hotel only has 24 Executive and Grand Exec Suites total. They do get booked and it's Summer in Sydney plus Cruise Ship season plus School Holidays. Most hotels are running at 100% or close. I definitely wouldn't expect a quote upgrade at check in for a week, if at all.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:47 am

Just checked into Sheraton Grand in Sydney. I am platinum. Booked two rooms. Room 1 was upgraded using SNA to a suite that includes club lounge access. Room 2 is standard room. At check-in, front desk agent tells me that as plt I am only entitled to lounge access for one room. I say that is right, so list me in room 2 since guests in room 1 get lounge access with the suite. Agent tells me that is incorrect because club lounge access is not afforded to suite guests who have the suite as a result of an SNA. She claims that is hotel policy. Says if I booked directly into the same suite, I would have lounge access. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

I understood that whatever suite privileges came with a suite, actually came with the suite no matter how the suite was obtained. And, indeed, suite confirmation in my reservation makes clear the suite includes lounge access.

I think the hotel is playing games.
I believe the hotel is partially correct in that only 1 room gets lounge access. However, you should have lounge access for the SNA suite room but not for Room 2; lounge access for yourself + 1 registered guest because of your Platinum status. If you had directly booked the suite then all registered guests in the suite would get lounge access.

Usually if I want club access for 2 rooms, I make sure to book a club room for my guests and then I book a base room with SNA for myself. Then you're guaranteed club access for both rooms.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Dec 17, 2023 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I believe the hotel is partially correct in that only 1 room gets lounge access. However, you should have lounge access for the SNA suite room but not for Room 2; lounge access for yourself + 1 registered guest because of your Platinum status. If you had directly booked the suite then all registered guests in the suite would get lounge access.

Usually if I want club access for 2 rooms, I make sure to book a club room for my guests and then I book a base room with SNA for myself. Then you're guaranteed club access for both rooms.
I don't understand your response. Room 1 should get lounge access because it's a suite (shouldn't matter whether the suite was confirmed with cash, points or SNA etc.). Room 2 should get lounge access because the occupant has the requisite status. No?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:12 pm

I don't understand your response. Room 1 should get lounge access because it's a suite (shouldn't matter whether the suite was confirmed with cash, points or SNA etc.). Room 2 should get lounge access because the occupant has the requisite status. No?
In theory, you should have lounge access to both rooms.

In practice, some hotels are stingy. Why waste time and energy arguing for lounge access on your vacation when you can guarantee lounge access by booking a club room for Room 1 then applying an SNA to it?

Last edited by iluvdoco; Dec 18, 2023 at 10:35 pm
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:59 pm

Surprisingly, my SNAs is cleared into a suite with a Parkview, and it was made available at 10 AM! I swapped breakfast on my last day for lounge breakfast, while the room was being made up. Greeted by the GM while in the longe (I had corresponded with him). So far a great start.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Surprisingly, my SNAs is cleared into a suite with a Parkview, and it was made available at 10 AM! I swapped breakfast on my last day for lounge breakfast, while the room was being made up. Greeted by the GM while in the longe (I had corresponded with him). So far a great start.
two questions

i have a five night award stay in March. It says SNA’s can’t be used. Any work around?

do you have an email for the hotel?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:45 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
All of the Suites face Hyde Park.

City View are awful rooms. The buildings behind are quite large and the lower non Grand City View get very little natural light.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by rstidolph
two questions

i have a five night award stay in March. It says SNA’s can’t be used. Any work around?

do you have an email for the hotel?
Dutymanagers.sydney@ Sheraton.com

whenever I’ve gotten that notice, it’s because I didn’t have enough SNA’s or because the stay was beyond the expiration date. If that’s not the case, I would suggest PM’ing one of the Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
All of the Suites face Hyde Park.

City View are awful rooms. The buildings behind are quite large and the lower non Grand City View get very little natural light.
I originally booked one of them. For the rate I got, would have been happy as the king bed rooms are 430 sq ft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.