Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by destinio
I will have a four-night family trip to Atlanta and want to stay in the Buckhead area for easy access to the malls. I found for about the same price I can get
1). Club-level Corner room (440 sq ft) at Westin Buckhead; walking distance to malls;
2) Or, a regular room (360 sq ft) at Ritz Carlton; walking distance to malls;
3) Or, a "Superior Room" (440 sq ft) at St Regis, which is beyond walking distance to the malls.

Considering I have a one-year old who need to sleep in a crib in the room and be moved in a stroller on the street, which hotel should I book the nights for?

I am having difficulty picking between Spacious room vs proximity to malls vs high quality at Ritz/St Regis.

Any advice?
If you have a car, I would stay at the St Regis. There is simply no comparison in the properties. The westin is very worn in my estimation. The Ritz is much better than the Westin but I think it's a little worn as well. The St Regis is a great property in immaculate condition. It also has a fantastic pool.

And if you're going soon, the heat and humidity will be less than ideal. Especially with bags and a 1 year old in tow. I know it's a very short walk from the westin to Lenox but at 95 F w high humidity, you'll definitely be sweating.

If you do st Regis, try j Christopher's in the plaza for breakfast - very good and reasonably priced. There is also a bakery behind whole foods that is good.

Given pricing so similiar, for me it's the St Regis in a landslide!!!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:58 am

Thanks bankingguy. I appreciate the information from whose have stayed there before.

We are coming in late September -- still not cool in Atlanta, I assume.

Originally Posted by bankingguy
If you have a car, I would stay at the St Regis. There is simply no comparison in the properties. The westin is very worn in my estimation. The Ritz is much better than the Westin but I think it's a little worn as well. The St Regis is a great property in immaculate condition. It also has a fantastic pool.

And if you're going soon, the heat and humidity will be less than ideal. Especially with bags and a 1 year old in tow. I know it's a very short walk from the westin to Lenox but at 95 F w high humidity, you'll definitely be sweating.

If you do st Regis, try j Christopher's in the plaza for breakfast - very good and reasonably priced. There is also a bakery behind whole foods that is good.

Given pricing so similiar, for me it's the St Regis in a landslide!!!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by destinio
Thanks bankingguy. I appreciate the information from whose have stayed there before.

We are coming in late September -- still not cool in Atlanta, I assume.
Glad to do it. One last recommendation at the St. Regis. Try takeout at Chops. Really good steaks and lobster. Probably not the place to take an infant but its literally 50 yards from the St. Regis so takeout is easy.

Most likely it will still be quite warm.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by bankingguy
Glad to do it. One last recommendation at the St. Regis. Try takeout at Chops. Really good steaks and lobster. Probably not the place to take an infant but its literally 50 yards from the St. Regis so takeout is easy.

Most likely it will still be quite warm.

Enjoy your trip.
Yep, it is next door. Only a sidewalk seperates the properties. One the best steaks in town.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:54 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
For what you want, the Westin sounds ideal. First, as you will have club access you will have some extra space not to mention snacks and soft drinks and breakfast. I can't imagine the st Regis and ritz will be as kid friendly for parents traveling with a one year old. Also , the walk from the Westin to the mall is much easier than the ritz. As for the Marriott which is the old Sheraton across the street, I stayed there for years and it is a very poorly laid out property. The Westin is definitely better.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:41 pm

This is indeed a factor. I still haven't made up my minds yet.

How about the JW Marriott -- I understand that this is not a Marriott forum and you may not have extensive experience with the JW property.

Originally Posted by abk
For what you want, the Westin sounds ideal. First, as you will have club access you will have some extra space not to mention snacks and soft drinks and breakfast. I can't imagine the st Regis and ritz will be as kid friendly for parents traveling with a one year old. Also , the walk from the Westin to the mall is much easier than the ritz. As for the Marriott which is the old Sheraton across the street, I stayed there for years and it is a very poorly laid out property. The Westin is definitely better.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Just returned from another stay here on the AAA Hot Deal ($120 + free parking and 2000 bonus points). Stingy with the upgrades again (none) and it's really starting to show its age (frayed carpet, chipped/broken furniture etc). They also forgot my wake up call which I find unforgivable at a business hotel. Talked to a manager and he gave me 2000 more points. It's an OK place at such a discount price but if I wasn't married to SPG I'd head over to the JW Marriott for a stay near the mall.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
Just returned from another stay here on the AAA Hot Deal ($120 + free parking and 2000 bonus points). Stingy with the upgrades again (none) and it's really starting to show its age (frayed carpet, chipped/broken furniture etc). They also forgot my wake up call which I find unforgivable at a business hotel. Talked to a manager and he gave me 2000 more points. It's an OK place at such a discount price but if I wasn't married to SPG I'd head over to the JW Marriott for a stay near the mall.
As stay near the mall? This property is next door to the mall. The JW Marriott is connected via a walkway, but the walks are nearly identical. Is that what you mean?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
As stay near the mall? This property is next door to the mall. The JW Marriott is connected via a walkway, but the walks are nearly identical. Is that what you mean?
Sorry i was unclear. I meant if one wants to stay near Phipps/Lenox perhaps the JW is a better choice than the Westin .
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Bingo.

Stayed 3 times this year. Upgrade once. No amenities. Last night crappy room facing the monring breakfst bar (literally 12 feet away) As I left at 645 it wasnt a concern.

Property is getting aged, dated. Odd bathroom fixtures, needs a refurb. Fairly cheap though
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Just returned from another stay here on the AAA Hot Deal ($120 + free parking and 2000 bonus points).
Now that is not even being offered anymore. The place is really not that great that it is worth $30 for parking.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Buckhead: Westin or W?

First time to Atlanta next month: have a couple of client meetings, with an early morning one just one block over on Peachtree Rd NE, so seems logical to stay at either Westin or W.

Seems like both properties have their cons (and few pros). Platinum breakfast at W got some thumbs up, although everyone complains about the size of rooms and poor attitude. The Westin seems to be worn, and has bad catering (but a Club Lounge).

Any of them more convenient for train to ATL? Does it actually make sense to take the train if there's 2 of us (arriving around 11pm, heading for ATL around 2pm).

Will be travelling with a colleague who has no status. Both hotels have identical rates for the night (a pricey $269). I don't really care since we'll literally be spending 8hrs at the hotel, although I do tend to prefer Ws, but there have been many poor reviews...

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG PLAT, MARR GOLD
I've stayed at both properties within the last month. As they are literally around the corner from each other, location is no issue. I prefer the look of Westins, but this one is really nothing special. I have no idea what the suites look like as I was not upgraded. The W was a cooler place. No upgrade there either. The room was nice enough, but I thought the bed was more comfortable at the Westin. There were two big groups staying at the W when I was there. One was a college group that showed up on three buses that made valet parking difficult to get into. I know that is not a normal thing, but it added a frustrating factor to my stay. The other was some kind of meeting for a skin care company. So there were about 100 pretty attractive women walking around the lobby. The one frustrating thing about my W stay was that a previous poster referenced the platinum breakfast. I was not offered this as a SPG platinum. Not sure why.
I'm returning to ATL next month and I have chosen to stay at the Westin, but not for any really big reason.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'd do the Westin. You can walk over to the W if you want to hit the rooftop lounge for drinks. Rooms are just much nicer at the Westin.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'd do the Westin. You can walk over to the W if you want to hit the rooftop lounge for drinks. Rooms are just much nicer at the Westin.
Agree completely.

Originally Posted by Rafka
Any of them more convenient for train to ATL? Does it actually make sense to take the train if there's 2 of us (arriving around 11pm, heading for ATL around 2pm).
Both properties are maybe a block/block and a half from the Buckhead Marta station. It will be $2.50 each way on the red line. When you get in, you'll have to transfer at Lindbergh station, but it's a direct train back to the airport at the time of day you're looking to leave. I would definitely recommend the train back to the airport regardless, as traffic starts to pick up right around the time you're talking about leaving.

Last edited by CLEguy; Feb 14, 2014 at 8:35 am Reason: correction re: Marta schedule

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.