Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:29 pm

Westin Buckhead -Atlanta

Not a huge deal but...

I just checked out of this hotel and saw new 32" HDTV's were being installed. I was on the Club level so I'm not sure how the rollout is being handled on the other floors but am certain in a day or two the top two floors should all be upgraded.

On a seperate note. I was sleeping very well after staying up too late last night. At 8:00 or so housekeeping knocks on the door. I know they only have so much time to clean all the rooms but it seems like the front desk could give them room numbers of guests who had already checked out. On top of that, they could have seen that my bill was still under the door. Anyway, I couldn't go back to sleep. Very frustrating.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying...
On the plus side, this is generally a GREAT hotel--definitely the best *Wood in Atlanta.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:49 pm

Most of the time very nice hotel.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:28 pm

I've stayed there twice. Both times, I was not impressed or had problems.

Overall I much prefer the Grand Hyatt Buckhead or the JW Marriott.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just spent 3 nights there. It was one of the nicer Westins I've stayed at. Although the check-in clerk searched for a suite (you can never tell if they are looking, or looking hard, or not), but I think he did - I had a high floor corner room (nice large bathroom), with lounge access. I enjoyed the lounge much - nice breakfast spread, and nice evening snacks and desserts, along with a small but adequate liquor selection and some wines (which varied from marginal to ok). Nice attentive staff. Housekeeping one day could have performed a more attentive job on the bathroom, and I didn't receive any turndown service. Overall, an A-.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:20 am

Westin Buckhead or Peachtree?

Would appreciate any advice on choice between these two Westins... I'm staying in Atlanta for five nights with a friend in early June.

I'm an SPG Platinum. We won't have a car, so want to be near (or in easy reach by taxi) of restaurants, and things to do etc.

I'd booked into the Westin Peachtree Plaza, but some of the reports here make me think that the Buckhead might be a better option. Any advice very welcome (especially on location). Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by JonW_UK
Would appreciate any advice on choice between these two Westins... I'm staying in Atlanta for five nights with a friend in early June.

I'm an SPG Platinum. We won't have a car, so want to be near (or in easy reach by taxi) of restaurants, and things to do etc.

I'd booked into the Westin Peachtree Plaza, but some of the reports here make me think that the Buckhead might be a better option. Any advice very welcome (especially on location). Thanks.
Tough question...
The Westin in Buckhead is next to some of the premier shopping malls (yeah, overlook the oxymoron) in Atlanta. If you want to do some serious shopping, Buckhead is the place to be. Also, there are very good restaurants in Buckhead--some of the best, but also some of the most over-rated.
The Westin Peachtree/Downtown is terrific if you're looking for a room with a view (and as a Platinum, they should give you one high up--ask for a north-facing room). The restaurant scene is not as good, but it's not bad and you have walking access to things like the new aquarium (quite good), the MLK Center and a few other things.
In some senses, the two hotels are very comparable: both give decent Platinum recognition in my experience. Both are nice (the Buckhead Westin being a bit more upscale and has a good lounge which Peachtree doesn't). Both have excellent access to MARTA (the subway/transit system), and neither are "ideally" situated. Taxis aren't a fact of life in Atlanta, but you won't have a problem getting one from either hotel. Depending on what you're into, Atlanta's sights can be very spread out and only accessible by car.
One of the more happening parts of Atlanta is "Midtown"--about 2 miles north of Downtown and 2 miles south of Buckhead--also well-served by the MARTA line and easily accessible from both hotels. Midtown has some of the best arts institutions in town (though nothing amazing) and some really excellent restaurants. Personally, the club scene in Atlanta seems a little young-yet-joyless to me (which maybe says more about me than the scene ), but if you're looking for clubs, either Buckhead or Midtown fit the bill. Depending on your dates, Downtown could have something really great stuff playing at the Rialto or the Ferst Center at Georgia Tech, but it is not really hopping after dark. Another thing to note is that there is very little street-life anywhere in Atlanta--people do not walk much, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot going on; you just have to know where to find it.
Feel free to PM me if I can provide any restaurant recommendations.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:31 am

Thanks

Rhetor - that's such a detailed and thoughtful post - I'm really grateful to you for taking the time. Much appreciated - Jon
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by JonW_UK
Rhetor - that's such a detailed and thoughtful post - I'm really grateful to you for taking the time. Much appreciated - Jon
You're welcome. A quick (and maybe irrelevant) addition: I just went to the new restaurant "Trois" last night with Mrs. Rhetor and friends and we were really pleased. It is spitting distance from the Arts Center MARTA station among the major museums, symphony, and theatres.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Between Hyatt and Westin, it depends on several factors, including status in frequent guest programs and what you want from your stay. I've chosen the Hyatt a few times recently, because it was $150 cheaper a night for the same dates. With a Diamond upgrade, I was a few feet from the Regency Club on a great rate. As a Platinum with SPG, I have found the Westin to be overpriced for what's basically an adequate experience. During my stays, I've been in rooms with ancient bathrooms with a few updated fixtures. Once, the bathroom was so bad, no housekeeping could have made it worth $400 (or more) a night, and I asked to be moved. I didn't find anything special about the rooms themselves, though giant, flat tv's sound like a good thing!

Westin's location is a bit better; indeed a quick walk from shopping and many restaurants. I've found the staff at Westin to be very nice and when I've had an issue, they've been quick to resolve it.

Between Buckhead and Peachtree, unless you need to be downtown....take Buckhead.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Any recent stays or information?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 1:11 pm
dwc

Programs: hhonors diamond,marriott silver,delta
Have stayed 4 or 5 times in past couple of months. Mostly on weekends when the rate can be in the $169 range. Excellent location within walking distance to plenty of shopping and dining. Location is about 8 miles from Downtown ATL and probably 15 from the airport.
As Plat.-upgraded 100% to club levels (21st and 22nd floors with the lounge being on the 21st). Junior suite 3 times on club levels. Suite has Murphy bed, exercise bike, 2 large flat panel TVs, wet bar, sitting area and nice views. Regular rooms on club level are well appointed and comfortable. There are only showers in both room types I have stayed, so if bathtub is important, you might want to call to see if there are rooms with tub.
Lounge is the best Westin club lounge I have tried. Nice appetizers(hot and cold). Complimentary soft drinks, nice selection of domestic and import beers, wine, and liquors. The liquors are Jack Daniels, Chivas and comparable brands. Drink service runs from 5:30 to 10PM with soft drinks available all the time. Appetizers 5:30 to 7:30 and good selections of desserts start at 8.
Nice breakfast presentation of eggs, sausage, bagels, cereals, large selection of fruits and juices.
I have also recently stayed at the Westin Peachtree Plaza and Sheratons Downtown and at the airport and would pay extra for the Buckhead Westin if the locations works for you. The Peachtree Plaza is nice experience with breathtaking views from the higher floors but no club lounge that I was aware of or any plat upgrade other than high flloor. The service was also not comparable to Buckhead.
PM if I can be of any assistance.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
From ATL to Westin. To downtown. Thanks.

We will be in Atlanta this weekend and after much looking around for hotels picked the Westin Buckhead over downtown Hyatt and Starwood properties. Can someone comment on MARTA from ATL to the Hotel? We are a party of three. Is a cab better value? On Sunday we will do the tourist thing. How about from Hotel via MARTA to downtown aka Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, Underground and CNN Center? Any restaurant choices in Buckhead for dinner? Any information appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
We will be in Atlanta this weekend and after much looking around for hotels picked the Westin Buckhead over downtown Hyatt and Starwood properties. Can someone comment on MARTA from ATL to the Hotel? We are a party of three. Is a cab better value? On Sunday we will do the tourist thing. How about from Hotel via MARTA to downtown aka Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, Underground and CNN Center? Any restaurant choices in Buckhead for dinner? Any information appreciated. Thanks.
Have you looked at the marta website? (not to be rude, but most cities public transportation systems are easy to search on the internet)

Here is the Marta Website. You can take the NORTH line (orange line trains) from the airport directly to the BUCKHEAD station (you'll be right next to or across from Maggiano's restaurant IIRC) and you'll see the hotel from the station. The hotel is approximately 150 yards away from the station. As an alternative you can take the NORTHEAST line to LENOX but you'll need to walk thru the mall and the malls parking lot to get to the hotel.

You can ride the same line to go downtown. To see the Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, and CNN Center you can get off at PEACHTREE CENTER station (you'll be in front of the Westin Peachtree Center) and walk down the hill to Centenial Park. Once done there you can walk down to the underground, however, if I were you, I you should skip the underground all together.

In regards to restaurants, what type of food/restaurants are you interested in? You also might want to review the Travel&Dining: forum for the south on Atlanta Restaurants.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Dec 10, 2007 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Have you looked at the marta website? (not to be rude, but most cities public transportation systems are easy to search on the internet)

Here is the Marta Website. You can take the NORTH line (orange line trains) from the airport directly to the BUCKHEAD station (you'll be right next to or across from Maggiano's restaurant IIRC) and you'll see the hotel from the station. The hotel is approximately a 150 yards away from the station. As an alternative you can take the NORTHEAST line to LENOX but you'll need to walk thru the mall and the malls parking lot to get to the hotel.

You can ride the same line to go downtown. To see the Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, and CNN Center you can get off at PEACHTREE CENTER station (you'll be in front of the Westin Peachtree Center) and walk down the hill to Centenial Park. Once done there you can walk down to the underground, however, if I were you, I you should skip the underground all together.

In regards to restaurants, what type of food/restaurants are you interested in? You also might want to review the Travel&Dining: forum for the south on Atlanta Restaurants.

I hope this helps.
Cheap Elite...great to see a very positive posting from you
Keep it up and best wishes for the Holiday Season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.