Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I last stayed at the Westin Buckhead, I was given a deluxe king on the club floor. IIRC it was a corner room with a sitting area and a huge bathroom with separate shower stall. I liked it. The lounge is also good. I remember bacon, eggs, and smoked salmon for breakfast, so much more than a standard continental or standard lounge fare.

I would definitely take MARTA in the daytime. Late in the evening depends on your comfort level in such situations, but I wouldn't worry at all about the two of you walking the block or so to either hotel at that hour in Buckhead. Just try to use the right exit to avoid having to walk to a crosswalk on a busy street.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by RafKa
First time to Atlanta next month: have a couple of client meetings, with an early morning one just one block over on Peachtree Rd NE, so seems logical to stay at either Westin or W.

Seems like both properties have their cons (and few pros). Platinum breakfast at W got some thumbs up, although everyone complains about the size of rooms and poor attitude. The Westin seems to be worn, and has bad catering (but a Club Lounge).

Any of them more convenient for train to ATL? Does it actually make sense to take the train if there's 2 of us (arriving around 11pm, heading for ATL around 2pm).

Will be travelling with a colleague who has no status. Both hotels have identical rates for the night (a pricey $269). I don't really care since we'll literally be spending 8hrs at the hotel, although I do tend to prefer Ws, but there have been many poor reviews...

Any thoughts?
Go with the Westin. Better service and better chance of an upgrade.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Westin it is

Ok, I hear it loud and clear: the Westin it is! Will leave the W for another time when I am travelling on my own and don't risk p***g off any colleagues.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Checked in tonight for a two night stay. I tried to use two SNA's. The only option at all for the SNA's after booking a standard room on points was the Jr. Suite. The Jr. Suite is a category higher than the Parlor Suite. In the end, no upgrade available for the SNA's because there were no Jr. Suites. There were Parlor Suites available for booking all week, and there still are.

At check in, I asked about an upgrade to a Jr. or Parlor Suite. The lady told me no suites are available but I'd been upgraded to a corner king on the club floor. The club is closed on the weekend so it is an upgrade to a corner king.

There are still parlor suites available.

So assuming a parlor suite is available for sale it seems:
1. The hotel did not honor the plat policies and upgrade me to the best rom available at check in.

2. The front desk folks lied to me at check in.

And additionally, why is a lower category suite room not available for SNA usage?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dingo
Checked in tonight for a two night stay. I tried to use two SNA's. The only option at all for the SNA's after booking a standard room on points was the Jr. Suite. The Jr. Suite is a category higher than the Parlor Suite. In the end, no upgrade available for the SNA's because there were no Jr. Suites. There were Parlor Suites available for booking all week, and there still are.

At check in, I asked about an upgrade to a Jr. or Parlor Suite. The lady told me no suites are available but I'd been upgraded to a corner king on the club floor. The club is closed on the weekend so it is an upgrade to a corner king.

There are still parlor suites available.

So assuming a parlor suite is available for sale it seems:
1. The hotel did not honor the plat policies and upgrade me to the best rom available at check in.

2. The front desk folks lied to me at check in.

And additionally, why is a lower category suite room not available for SNA usage?
So what rooms are apart of the Platinum pool at this property? Just because we see rooms, that does not mean they are apart of the upgrade pool.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
When you say 'upgrade pool', do you mean the SNA pool or the old "best room available pool'? Maybe a Parlor Suite is not defined as a standard suite that is part of the good old 'best room at checkin.'

I called down just now. "there are teams in, and they probably have all the rooms" is what I was told. Ok, so maybe they just aren't upgrading plats to those rooms in case they need to give them to the teams...whoever or whatever that is.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 pm
Suspended

When you say 'upgrade pool', do you mean the SNA pool or the old "best room available pool'? Maybe a Parlor Suite is not defined as a standard suite that is part of the good old 'best room at checkin.'

I called down just now. "there are teams in, and they probably have all the rooms" is what I was told. Ok, so maybe they just aren't upgrading plats to those rooms in case they need to give them to the teams...whoever or whatever that is.
That what I'm asking. What suites at this property are considered "(select) standard suite"?

When ever I've stayed there in the past the Junior and Executive suites are used for platinum upgrades.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:34 pm

I don't see an executive suite listed online as either available or not. The listing on the booking page goes from traditional all the way to presidential. I assume they are listed in ascending order. The Jr. Suite is the only SNA option. The Parlor Suite is a category lower than that one; and is available online now.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended

I don't see an executive suite listed online as either available or not. The listing on the booking page goes from traditional all the way to presidential. I assume they are listed in ascending order. The Jr. Suite is the only SNA option. The Parlor Suite is a category lower than that one; and is available online now.
What you see online does not necessarily correlate with inventory or what is available in the upgrade pool.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:49 pm

that is the pat response from the lurkers and I'm sure there is logic to it, but I've never understood it.

so the hotel will sell a room, right now, that they do not have? Really?

and the upgrade pool, are there limits on the number of rooms within a room type that should be upgradable?: How are those imposed and how does that jibe with the "best room available at checkin including standard suites" commitment?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you looked at the description of the parlor suite? It might mean a regular one bedroom suite, but it could also be a hospitality suite with a living room and bathroom but no real bedroom, just a murphy bed or sofa bed. Would you really want that?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:03 am

Review as Platinum Member

W Midtown
Located in Midtown - within walking distance to hotels.
Typical W style - club-like/dark. Rooms are not dirty, but perhaps slightly shabby - just seem slightly more worn than the other properties I have stayed at in ATL. The sinks are shallow and the water splashes up at you.
Workout room is nice, no stretching area, but there is some space near the weights if it isn't crowded. There are 4 treadmills - 2 behind the other 2 - all facing a mirror which is a somewhat awkward setup, but not a deal breaker.
Breakfast is make to order in their restaurant - Trace - you get $25/person. Servers are nice, but can be slow (as it is make to order) if you are in a rush to get to work. But the food is very good.
No lounge.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:04 am

Review as Platinum Member

Westin Buckhead
Located within a 5min walk to the Buckhead MARTA station and Lenox Mall.
Rooms are nice, bathrooms are roomy.
Workout room is very nice - with a separate stretching area.
They have a lounge - breakfast is taken here/buffet style. They have apps in the eve in the lounge.
I like this hotel the best out of the 3, but it is in Buckhead, so depending where you are going it can be a longer commute. During rushhour about 30min by can to/from midtown. There is the option to take the MARTA as well.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:52 am

Smile

Originally Posted by worldtravel123
W Midtown
Located in Midtown - within walking distance to hotels.
Typical W style - club-like/dark. Rooms are not dirty, but perhaps slightly shabby - just seem slightly more worn than the other properties I have stayed at in ATL. The sinks are shallow and the water splashes up at you.
Workout room is nice, no stretching area, but there is some space near the weights if it isn't crowded. There are 4 treadmills - 2 behind the other 2 - all facing a mirror which is a somewhat awkward setup, but not a deal breaker.
Breakfast is make to order in their restaurant - Trace - you get $25/person. Servers are nice, but can be slow (as it is make to order) if you are in a rush to get to work. But the food is very good.
No lounge.
Wrong thread?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:00 pm

Here now. I went to order room service and my phone was. It working so I went to the front desk 15 floors down and was told they could send engineering to my room. That’s not what I want actually. I just want food. I said that and was told they are not allowed to take in room dining orders. I kind of get that and really don’t. I don’t want to wait a half hour for some dude to come repair my phone and then wait the same amount of time to get my food. What lousy service.

#bonvoyed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.