Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Delightful Lady
Cheap Elite...great to see a very positive posting from you
Keep it up and best wishes for the Holiday Season.
Ummmm, OK...I think?

You too have a Happy Holiday Season!
Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Appreciate the information.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
We will be in Atlanta this weekend and after much looking around for hotels picked the Westin Buckhead over downtown Hyatt and Starwood properties. Can someone comment on MARTA from ATL to the Hotel? We are a party of three. Is a cab better value? On Sunday we will do the tourist thing. How about from Hotel via MARTA to downtown aka Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca Cola, Underground and CNN Center? Any restaurant choices in Buckhead for dinner? Any information appreciated. Thanks.
Good solid choice one of the better Westins around in North America.
One can get a great burger too at the Palm in the lobby.
Though the steaks were not on par with the New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles branches
A taxi is much more $$$ however Marta has some annoying passengers sometimes. It is very hit or miss experience. When I am alone I tune them out and ignore them (crazies shouting out loud or panhandlers asking for money).Sometimes the rides are fine an uneventful as well.
Marta trains also can be very crowded. But it is reasonably priced transportation and no traffic to worry about on departures for ones return.

I choose to use taxis depending on whom I am traveling with and their comfort level in these kinds of situations
Loved the food at the new Hilltops adjacent to the Grand Hyatt Buckhead however the service was somewhat not up to the food but acceptable. They use a very like Houston’s formula as one of the owners is an ex partner of the Hillstone Group
FYI great farm raised grilled salmon,a knockout organic chicken dripping in its own fresh juices and excellent wild rice salad
Atlanta has a thriving and vastly improving food scene

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 10, 2007 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Sounds like a taxi might be more appropriate with luggage.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:31 am

Report 12/2007

Preface: Flight from SFO to ATL to SFO for my wife to keep her UA 1k status. Our friend came along for the same reason. We all wanted to at least see the Aquarium. Supposed to go to Vienna so this was a good enought use of the free night awards.

Rate: Award.

Transportation: Upon arrival into ATL we walked within the terminals to the MARTA station. A one way is $1.75. We each bought a three day pass for $11 each. Took as noted in this thread the Orange line north. That would be the train on the right when you enter the platform. A 32 minute ride. It was not a "rough" ride but we are aware Atlanta can have its' elements. Upon exiting Buckhead Station at the street level break a hard right. You will come upon the Hotel which is a good three minute walk. Luggage was ok. We walked in a light rain.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: Pleasant. Upgraded to Club level on 22. At least 21 is also Club level. The Lounge is on 21. Stairs from 22 to 21. Took the points.

Perks: As noted above.

Lounge: The Lounge is very nice. We arrived late but the attendent noting our arrival kept the items available. Cut fruits, cheese, a cold dish and beef in puff pastry. Beer and wine without charge. The frig with soda and cold water available 24/7. The spread this morning looked good. Dessert came out at 8 PM with excellent selections. Very nice for North America.

Room: You enter onto carpet. To the right there is a small pocket closet followed by the bathroom, two double beds, comfy chair, marble top desk, side chair, LCD flat tv and large mirror on wall. Lots of windows. Almost floor to ceiling.

Bathroom: Standard. Single basin sink with Westin shower heads.

The room is modern but dated. There are touches all around dating this place back to the late 80s early 90s.

Internet: Wired and $10.95 for 24 hour period. That being said you can use the PC on the lobby level for free. You can print. We bought online GA Aquarium tickets which when I came upstairs had also arrived into my e-mail as a pdf file. Went downstairs this morning to print. No Adobe software on that pc. Had to visit business center on 3. $11 to get on the pc and print 3 tickets. Good thing I printed our boarding passes downstairs.

Gym: On six.

Spa: ?

Eating venues: Lenox Mall and lots of places to eat around.

Local markets: Would think some places would also be close.

Local area: Shopping and eating.

Nagatives: Dated rooms and the $11 for 3 printed tickets is a bit much.

Closing: The service as has been noted is excellent. Everyone is helpful. Will advise later on our trip into town. We bought tickets which included the show at the Aquarium for $29.95 each.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
We walked in a light rain.
You don't know how much Atlantans have longed to hear those words!
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:42 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Great report congrats 0n 1k

It was not a "rough" ride but we are aware Atlanta can have its' elements.

what a classy line and I assume you just don't mean the weather

FyI if you think the rooms are slighty dated now you should have stayed there when it was the Swissotel
Cement beds with scratchy sheets and push button soap dispensers in the shower stall like a gym locker room to save on amenity costs its now at least in the late 90s

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 16, 2007 at 11:48 am
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:48 pm

I think we got lucky. We were able to see GA Aquarium, New World of Coca Cola and CNN tour. When I checked online the only tours available for CNN were at 4:30 and 5 PM. We went on the 2 PM. Also. The New World of Coca Cola will give you a $2 discount if you show your MARTA Breeze ride pass. Hey $6 works!

From CNN we walked to what ended being a east to west station near some arena which we took towards downtown Atlanta. We got off at Five Points and that was not so comfortable. We should have just walked back to the north to south line back at Peachtree. We got on the first north line train and got off at Lenox near the Mall. From there we had a late lunch at Houston's then walked three stop lights up to I think Phipps Mall. From there we walked back to the Hotel. A good day for being a tourist in Atlanta.

My wife's points posted so she is a 2008 1k again.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:00 pm
Suspended

From CNN we walked to what ended being a east to west station near some arena which we took towards downtown Atlanta. We got off at Five Points and that was not so comfortable. We should have just walked back to the north to south line back at Peachtree.
I hate to say this and do the accompanying dance, but, "I told you so"!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:32 am

I know. That's why we got on the first train that came into that station.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
I was wondering if anyone had any recent info on the beverage charges in the lounge... RTWSTARALLIANCE last December said that the beer and wine were without charge, which sounds pretty rare for U.S. hotel lounges to me. Any confirmation of this?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
heading back to the Westin Buckhead for another visit. we really like the hotel - staff is very friendly and nice beds.

question for those in the know - considering booking a rate including breakfast but wondering what the menu looks like (Palm not exactly known for breakfast). Anyone have info on the Palm or room service breakfast menu at this hotel?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Just finished a stay here. Great property in a great location. I was given a parlor suite on the 22 floor. This hotel has one of the best Club lounges I have been in. Coconut shrimp and meat pastries for dinner, with complimentary wine. Breakfast was a big buffet, ham, bacon, French toast, eggs, and lox. All of that for $109 rate. I dare say it would be hard to beat that.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rhetor
On the plus side, this is generally a GREAT hotel--definitely the best *Wood in Atlanta.
Is it still? I'll be in Buckhead for a one-night stay in a few weeks and have reservations at both the W Buckhead and the Westin Buckhead. Does anybody have new thoughts about it since November 2009? Is it at least better than the W Buckhead?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DivMiler
Is it still? I'll be in Buckhead for a one-night stay in a few weeks and have reservations at both the W Buckhead and the Westin Buckhead. Does anybody have new thoughts about it since November 2009? Is it at least better than the W Buckhead?
Are you a man or a woman?
You have three properties to choose from the St. Regis, W Buckhead and Westin Buckhead.

In my experience the Westin Buckhead is like the diplomat, very good with Gold and Platinum members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.