Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2021, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen groups of a couple dozen people book one club level room and then that person holds the lounge door open for twenty more. In one incident I witnessed, they moved the lounge furniture and then played their own content loudly on the lounge TV. The agent shrugged.

Another time when I tried to prevent tailgating, the person threatened me and management was concerned.

Yet another time a couple tried physically to force their way into my own room after me, apparently thinking (the signage was a bit ambiguous) that it was the lounge. They apparently were also staying on the club floor, and when I saw them in the lounge later, there was no apology.

BTW, a USA Sheraton has told me that their lounge will be re-opening next month (presumably early in June) for all day packaged snacks and water, coffee, etc. Breakfast and evening appetizers will return later.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 20, 2021 at 9:23 am
Old May 20, 2021, 10:24 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Well, Hilton has now one-upped Marriott by announcing that complimentary breakfast at US properties will be SUSPENDED from July through the end of the year, in lieu of an "up to" $15 F&B credit per room per day. Hope Marriott doesn't get any ideas from their move.
Old May 20, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
My last act would be the well-deserved TA flame, then let it go.
Sorry, what is a TA flame?
Old May 20, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Sorry, what is a TA flame?
A harsh Tripadvisor review of the property.
Old May 20, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
A harsh Tripadvisor review of the property.
Ah! I would think that would be going a bit far as the only mistake was not asking the question about choice. The hotel was clean and the people were friendly. I could not give a bad review on a property when the issue was a rudely written email from Bonvoy customer service. I think that would be wrong on many levels. But that is just me, YMMV.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by dw
Well, Hilton has now one-upped Marriott by announcing that complimentary breakfast at US properties will be SUSPENDED from July through the end of the year, in lieu of an "up to" $15 F&B credit per room per day. Hope Marriott doesn't get any ideas from their move.
$15 F&B credit per room is a lot more than some Marriott properties are offering at the moment, so I'd see it as a net win overall if they did that.
Old May 20, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by dw
I haven’t read the up to $15 anywhere, sounds like the amounts are still being decided. This is really a simple solution to the inconsistent breakfast.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dw
oh my. I am sure that is all Covid-related as well with domestic US travel back to normal ... wow. Marriott will most certainly try to be more aggressive than Hilton. How about adding a $15 surcharge for all Plat and higher for the privilege of Marriott hosting us?
Old May 20, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Chat exchange with the JW in LA (sorry for the giant image):

It really shouldn't be this difficult to get properties to honor published benefits.

Ended up cancelling the reservation anyway in favor of the Glenmark in Glendale, which is providing a restaurant breakfast to elites without having to fight for an "exception" and also pre-upgraded me several days in advance to a suite.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by aacar
Chat exchange with the JW in LA (sorry for the giant image):

It really shouldn't be this difficult to get properties to honor published benefits.

Ended up cancelling the reservation anyway in favor of the Glenmark in Glendale, which is providing a restaurant breakfast to elites without having to fight for an "exception" and also pre-upgraded me several days in advance to a suite.
If you had the time, I would call the hotel and ask for the FDM / GM so as to explain your cancellation. Hotels will only learn with feedback.
controller1 and aacar like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anteater
If you had the time, I would call the hotel and ask for the FDM / GM so as to explain your cancellation. Hotels will only learn with feedback.
Good point, will do.
SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is beyond absurd already with the rates hotel are charging now and throughout the summer/fall, and still offering nothing but a room. Most are still using the covid excuse to not provide housekeeping, and same with having their lounge closed and giving paltry points in place and still charging for breakfast. Pile of horse manure.

Sounds like hotels are moving into a 'screw the customer' cash-grab mode now that vacation travel is picking up.
Xyzzy and aacar like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
They'll make an exception... smh.

An exception to follow policy.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacar
Chat exchange with the JW in LA
Wish I could say I'm surprised. But from the property's perspective, it's a "why not?" since they can obviously get away with these violations with impunity.
SPN Lifer and aacar like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Marriott already very weak in enforcing these standard to the hotels prior to Covid,
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.