Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Old May 17, 2020, 2:23 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Looking at a staycation over the Memorial Day weekend. Call all properties I was considering (Marriott, Sheraton, Renaissance, Delta, and Residence Inn) asking what amenities are currently open and available. All but the Residence Inn said that there was no food service at all. (No lounge and no restaurant). Is there currently a waiver that would prevent invoking the breakfast guarantee?
Old May 17, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by jonathansullivan
Looking at a staycation over the Memorial Day weekend. Call all properties I was considering (Marriott, Sheraton, Renaissance, Delta, and Residence Inn) asking what amenities are currently open and available. All but the Residence Inn said that there was no food service at all. (No lounge and no restaurant). Is there currently a waiver that would prevent invoking the breakfast guarantee?
In the current situation I would hope common sense and understanding. If they claimed they would be doing something and then you turned up and they didnt I would say you could take issue then, but in the current circumstances even if there is no waiver in effect the hotels maybe have more serious things on their minds, like survival.
Old May 17, 2020, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did the property say when you called to ask this question?
Old May 17, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
pretty sure most restaurants in hotels are closed due to mandate.

I'm all about maximizing benefits, but come on, there is a bigger picture.

agree with Often1 (first time for everything!) - call the hotel and see what they can offer instead.
Redhead, bgasser and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Seriously? Wow!

If you ask, they may offer points in lieu of breakfast, like they do when the lounge is closed.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 17, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Old May 17, 2020, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. The hotels are not under mandate, and indicated there are plenty of restaurants open within walking distance. This is Orlando. It was interesting to see some have open fitness centers, some don't. One is offering grab and go breakfast, most were offering no food service (while still selling "Stay for Breakfast Rates"). Some have pool open, others don't. The one manager I spoke with at the full service Marriott said the reason they aren't opening food services is to keep costs down.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks for the responses. The hotels are not under mandate, and indicated there are plenty of restaurants open within walking distance. This is Orlando. It was interesting to see some have open fitness centers, some don't. One is offering grab and go breakfast, most were offering no food service (while still selling "Stay for Breakfast Rates"). Some have pool open, others don't. The one manager I spoke with at the full service Marriott said the reason they aren't opening food services is to keep costs down.
Why not stay at a property that offers you what you want? I count roughly 65 Marriott properties in the Orlando area. If one is better value to you than another, that is where one ought to stay.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Why not stay at a property that offers you what you want? I count roughly 65 Marriott properties in the Orlando area. If one is better value to you than another, that is where one ought to stay.
Thats what I'm looking for now. Thanks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
There is a waiver in place right now for Bonvoy benefits. Tried to find the link but couldn't. They don't have to provide breakfast and don't believe they have to compensate.
RedSun likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:54 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
There is a waiver in place right now for Bonvoy benefits. Tried to find the link but couldn't. They don't have to provide breakfast and don't believe they have to compensate.
It would be very useful to many of us if someone could find and post the link.
360guy and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Could you link to the source? That would definitely change expectations.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Could you link to the source? That would definitely change expectations.
I can't find anything on the Marriott website. Loyalty Lobby reported on the suspension of brand standards and certain loyalty guarantees. https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/03/31/...ty-guarantees/
jonathansullivan likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
I can't find anything on the Marriott website. Loyalty Lobby reported on the suspension of brand standards and certain loyalty guarantees. https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/03/31/...ty-guarantees/
Thank you!
Old May 18, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
Thanks. I knew it was out there somewhere. Just couldnt find it before work called me away.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, BA, DL, SPG and Marriott
You might be able to find a 3-day deal at a Marriott vacation club but you'll have to sit through a 50 minute timeshare sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.