Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wonder if hotels migrate from being business to leisure driven how many of these changes will be permanent.

loyalty programs work in part because the entity paying the Bill most directly isn’t typically the person staying in the room.

im not sure business travel is going to rebound overnight. I’m thinking 2024 might be when we hit prepandemic levels.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Currently staying at the Le Meridien Central Park. No Platinum+ breakfast (the restaurants isn’t open), housekeeping every 3 days, and the gym requires advanced reservation. I’m staying for a month so 1000 points is definitely a big difference from daily breakfast. Truthfully, I don’t care about the restrictions as much as many people here seem to. I doubt the breakfast was anything special and housekeeping a couple times a week is more than enough for me. The gym limitations are definitely inconvenient but it’s not the end of the world.

NYC is pretty open rn with indoor dining back at 75% capacity (full soon) and most areas (including the hotel) are packed rn. I wonder what it will take for these hotels to start operating at “full service” again.
It's been great to see travelers back in NYC in recent weeks. City is coming back alive and you can see the change every day
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:43 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I wonder if hotels migrate from being business to leisure driven how many of these changes will be permanent.

loyalty programs work in part because the entity paying the Bill most directly isn’t typically the person staying in the room.

im not sure business travel is going to rebound overnight. I’m thinking 2024 might be when we hit prepandemic levels.
I’m not sure if the Le Meridien Central Park would be considered a business or a leisure hotel. However, I know people currently staying in limited-service business NYC Marriotts that are currently getting their full daily $20 f&b credit. The hotel restaurants are still closed but they can use their credits at the grab and go store (essentially an overpriced convenience store). Again, I’m not someone that is huge on hotel breakfast. However, I find it weird that people staying at Courtyards and ACs are currently getting more elite benefits than people staying at Marriott’s and Westin’s.
uanj likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by asnovici
The hotel is owned by Remington Hotels and he is their employee. Bonvoy benefits or service seem to be at the bottom of the list for his worries.
That's it right there. Unless the hotel is corporately managed, the GM and staff are not Marriott employees or Hilton employees but employees of whatever management company owns or runs the property. The parent company cares about standards, except that standards always cost money and over time more and more get changed/added/layered on which only adds expense for the owner. A lot of it is like an unfunded mandate from the government where they tell you to do X but give you no way as to how to pay for it or any guidance or proof that doing X actually matters.

It's the oldest game in the industry: Accountability Whack-A-Mole. The parent company wants standards adhered to as much as possible to the letter of the law and the owner cares about the bottom line and is always trying to see how far standards can be pushed or punted until the parent company says "do X or else." To some degree the parent company doesn't care because they get paid first in the equation and then after all expenses are covered that's what the owner takes as net profit which is why whatever can be cut or pushed is always in their best interest.
SPN Lifer and asnovici like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Tale of two breakfast benefits at hotels with closed lounges:

Sheraton Gateway LAX: Voucher for the lobby Starbucks that entitles you to 1 medium coffee and 1 regular pastry only. No espresso drinks and no breakfast sandwiches. A coffee and a pastry. Pathetic. I was expecting little and they delivered even less.

Marriott Marina del Rey: Full breakfast in the restaurant, including coffee, juice, and any breakfast main you'd like. And the food is delicious, high quality, and filling. And really wonderful staff. I was not expecting much but was very impressed.
SPN Lifer, mikebor and anteater like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Tale of two breakfast benefits at hotels with closed lounges:

Sheraton Gateway LAX: Voucher for the lobby Starbucks that entitles you to 1 medium coffee and 1 regular pastry only. No espresso drinks and no breakfast sandwiches. A coffee and a pastry. Pathetic. I was expecting little and they delivered even less.

Marriott Marina del Rey: Full breakfast in the restaurant, including coffee, juice, and any breakfast main you'd like. And the food is delicious, high quality, and filling. And really wonderful staff. I was not expecting much but was very impressed.
This is why Marriott, if it was run properly by competent management who cared anything about customers, would standardize a minimum offering based on the regulatory environment of each region - while Marina Del Rey should be rewarded for achieving prior standards, LAX should be penalized for failing to provide eligible customers a proper breakfast.

When Holiday Inn Express is cleaning your clock, it's time to wake up otherwise what's the point of being a premium brand.
SPN Lifer, mikebor, UA-NYC and 2 others like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Are hotels allowed to choose the welcome amenity for you? I refer to ones in which breakfast is being sold but not given to elites as an amenity. Usually the reply is “we’ve gone ahead and given you 1,000 points.” People on here seem to think that’s not okay but since when has someone from Marriott come out and agreed?
Old May 16, 2021, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by stvr
Are hotels allowed to choose the welcome amenity for you? I refer to ones in which breakfast is being sold but not given to elites as an amenity. Usually the reply is “we’ve gone ahead and given you 1,000 points.” People on here seem to think that’s not okay but since when has someone from Marriott come out and agreed?
No, the would defeat the whole purpose of the guarantee and the compensation if they are unable to meet the guarantee. There’s a list of hotels that are exempt from the breakfast and are listed in the T&Cs which the guest does not have a choice.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I am at Westin National Harbor DC. They did an automatic 1000 on a piece of paper, and when I got to the room mgr calls and asks how everything is, I ask about breakfast and he says I can come and get a voucher for 2 breakfasts. But it is not 2 breakfasts, it is $25. Nothing else open but restaurant. What should I do, or is this standard at this location?
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
No, the would defeat the whole purpose of the guarantee and the compensation if they are unable to meet the guarantee. There’s a list of hotels that are exempt from the breakfast and are listed in the T&Cs which the guest does not have a choice.
Is Westin DC Harbor exempt?
harold likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Can you please clarify? I stayed at the Charlotte City Center Marriott and while the lounge was closed, the restaurant was open. I was told I would only be given points, breakfast would have to be out of pocket. Is it the hotel's choice? Specifically referencing Titanium benefit "If lounge closed or hotel does not have a lounge offer daily breakfast in restaurant for 2 or 750 points/day". So the hotel can choose to offer points and deny the breakfast benefit?
Old May 16, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Is Westin DC Harbor exempt?
When a Participating Property's Lounge is closed, or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay. In Europe: Participating Properties without a Lounge or approved alternative offer daily breakfast in restaurant for Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay. This benefit applies to the following brands (resort properties excluded): JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, and Renaissance Hotels. This benefit is not applicable when breakfast is included in the rate or the brand offers an approved alternative as described above. The following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

● The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
● Boston Marriott Copley Place
● Boston Marriott Long Wharf
● Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
● JW Marriott Essex House New York City
● JW Marriott New Orleans
● JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
● JW Marriott Washington, DC
● The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection
● Monterey Marriott
● New York Marriott Marquis®
● Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
● Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
● Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
● Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
● Renaissance New York Hotel 57
● Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel
● Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
● Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
● Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Old May 16, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
As a side note, a recent stay at a Courtyard and told the "$10 food and beverage credit daily" only applies to the hotel pantry, not the in house restaurant. I'm like.. OK, then I look at the pantry and it is bare bones: basically oreos, doritos, hot pockets, and aquafina. (DC Donvention Center)
Old May 16, 2021, 7:53 am

Looks like I should be eligible for the $100 since no welcome anything. Choice made in advance by them.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:57 am

If I make the claim on the $100, does that mean they no longer have to offer me breakfast or 1000 points or I forfeit those in lieu of the $100, or is it a guarantee and the benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.