Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Happy to see Gary bringing attention to this [Both the Sheraton & Marriott Corporate told me to go pound sand even though the facts of my experience was a nailed on $100 compensation result].

https://viewfromthewing.com/marriott...with-impunity/

Again I ask Marriott Bonvoy Lurker / Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II to confirm our experiences in this thread that the elite welcome gift choice is now a choice that the property makes and not the guest. Because that appears to be most folks experiences. I'll take silence on the matter to mean an answer in the affirmative.
dgreen12, CO-PLAT, volabam and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:37 pm

On the bright side, Hyatt likes the new Marriott policies!
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by razorg
On the bright side, Hyatt likes the new Marriott policies!
Well personally I've changed some future bookings to Hyatt properties because at least the elite treatment is consistent.

I refuse to play welcome benefit roulette anymore when the house can just decide to change the rules of the game at will.
UA-NYC, CO-PLAT, volabam and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by razorg
You are exactly right. If the hotel gets to choose which option you get, it's never going to be breakfast, it's always going to be a few points. I called Customer support 3 times. Every time I asked for a supervisor, and they all said they were a supervisor. That's absurd, of course, but I guess that's their new way to brush us off and keep us from escalating the issue. I'm glad you got compensation, but I'm really out of options at this point. Neither the hotel, nor Marriott corporate were interested in helping, and none of them can actually read what the T&C say.
Depends how far you, or anyone else here wants to push it - but one strategy is to harass Marriott corporate and the properties that do this via small claims cases that allege breach of contract. It will cost each person who is wronged by this policy about $50 plus any cost to serve the suit on Marriott corporate and the property, and since in virtually every US jurisdiction they cannot send a lawyer to deal with the suit and a director, executive, owner or other authorized person who is not a practicing attorney must appear to defend the suit, enough of these filings across the country will crawl up Marriott's pants pretty quickly and give them enough of an itch to rethink how they are going about this.

Of course one result could very well be they simply remove the guarantee altogether.....
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:42 pm

What are some of the recent experiences on getting Marriott corporate to payout the welcome gift guarantee choice? Been reading on the Laylow and some TA reviews. For sure we are way past the pandemic since it’s the new normal and the rates are through the roof from now through end us summer for some of the places I’ve been researching.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:53 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by myperks
What are some of the recent experiences on getting Marriott corporate to payout the welcome gift guarantee choice? Been reading on the Laylow and some TA reviews. For sure we are way past the pandemic since it’s the new normal and the rates are through the roof from now through end us summer for some of the places I’ve been researching.
The likelihood is zero. Also, the Laylow is pretty meh. I stayed there over Christmas holiday (just before the guarantee was restored) and I ended up eating breakfast at the Starbucks on Kuhio because they only offered points even though they were selling breakfast at the cafe and the restaurant was open at night. The room was small and the view was equally meh, so I didn’t return. Look elsewhere.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Checked into a Seattle property last weekend. Called beforehand and they said they offer $25 per day for breakfast benefit. I further inquired if this included my wife and they said yes, so a total of $50 a day. Hotel was room service only.

Checked in and they would only do a one time credit of $25 and nothing more. Spent 30 minutes arguing and got the front desk agent to agree to $25 a day but only for one person. Complained to Bonvoy and the next day I received an email that they would offer $100 food and beverage credit for the two night stay. Happy customer but I called specially beforehand to avoid this type of drama, which is no fun.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 3:13 pm

I'm impressed you got Bonvoy to do anything. They had no interest in my 2 complaints about having zero benefits. I would say you got lucky with who you talked to, but I talked to several people and they didn't care. They are just rewriting the T&C's as they go along as far as I can tell.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold, UA Silver, AF Silver, National EE, Hertz Pres Circle
Got an upcoming stay at the Vespera on OCEAN in Pismo beach and their welcome email reads this:
  • As a reminder, our standard check-in time is 4:00 PM and check-out is 11:00 AM. Early check-in and late check-out requests are unavailable at this time due to increased cleanliness protocols. Please prepare to depart the hotel by 11am on your scheduled check-out date.

As a Titanium I thought late checkout is guaranteed and during the pandemic never had an issue for this to be honored.

Any way to force the hotel’s hand? This seems quite random to me
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by marquito
Got an upcoming stay at the Vespera on OCEAN in Pismo beach and their welcome email reads this:
  • As a reminder, our standard check-in time is 4:00 PM and check-out is 11:00 AM. Early check-in and late check-out requests are unavailable at this time due to increased cleanliness protocols. Please prepare to depart the hotel by 11am on your scheduled check-out date.

As a Titanium I thought late checkout is guaranteed and during the pandemic never had an issue for this to be honored.

Unless it’s a resort hotel, your 4pm checkout is guaranteed. I would contact the hotel in advance (email so you have something in writing) to guarantee they will honour your late checkout. If they play games, make it clear you will cancel your stay and choose to stay where your loyalty is rewarded. Any decent Marriott hotel is more than happy to confirm in advance that they will honour your elite benefits, in my experience (granted I don’t stay in the US, where elite benefits go to die).
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by marquito

Sounds like they're running a skeleton (one shift) housekeeping staff so probably don't have anyone to turn the room over if you leave late.

(Not excusing them)
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Vespera is not listed as a resort when you search at https://www.marriott.com/travel-expe...resort-hotels/. It also doesn't charge a resort fee (though some non-classified resorts charge resort fees, go figure). So they are required to offer late checkout to those who are eligible and request it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 2:01 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I'll be staying at the Sheraton Zurich and their club lounge is still closed. It says they will give a $25 voucher instead for the restaurant. Is this per person and per day? It's not specified on their page.... https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/zrhzs

Club lounge: closed; authourized guests will receive a CHF 25 voucher to be redeemed at Route 26, the Market or for in-room consumption
Old May 3, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sfosyd
Checked into a Seattle property last weekend. Called beforehand and they said they offer $25 per day for breakfast benefit. I further inquired if this included my wife and they said yes, so a total of $50 a day. Hotel was room service only.

Checked in and they would only do a one time credit of $25 and nothing more. Spent 30 minutes arguing and got the front desk agent to agree to $25 a day but only for one person. Complained to Bonvoy and the next day I received an email that they would offer $100 food and beverage credit for the two night stay. Happy customer but I called specially beforehand to avoid this type of drama, which is no fun.
This is why I email ahead. Then I just show them the email, they usually back down before I have found the email!!
Old May 3, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Does anyone have the link to the press release whee Marriott stated that benefits were restored? From my experience calling Marriott, a lot of phone agents deny that such a press release has ever been released.

I can find articles mentioning it, but I can't find where the official press release is located.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.