Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Another CLT area property to add to the list; Courtyard Billy Graham Parkway. 750 points at check in, told the agent I'd prefer the $10 F&B pp, got told some word salad about COVID etc etc & he brought up my rate (!) as if a lower rate implies its ok to forfeit the elite benefits.

They will happily advertise that they'll sell you a to-go breakfast bag for $3 though.

Messaged Bonvoy on Twitter to register my unhappiness again (for all the $hits they'll give ). I don't have the energy or time for another back & forth battle over the compensation, which I guess is what Marriott Bonvoy Lurker etc are betting on.

Nothing doing except to move stays to Hilton & Hyatt going forward, even if the elite benefits are reduced with them they are at a minimum consistent. I'll be avoiding playing elite roulette with Bonvoy to the greatest extent possible until things change.
3 bucks for a grab and go breakfast? I don't want to know what is in that!

Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
I don't know about that but my best guess is that we'll see almost a two tiered system in place where at full service properties you may eventually get the amenities and services offered pre-pandemic, but watch where rates go in the process. Limited service places I think go to where if you want daily housekeeping you need to pay a fee for that or possibly it might get waived for top tier frequent stay members but it definitely won't be there for all rooms/guests. It's a whole new world and no one knows where things will be in the industry in six months or in a year. All I know is that as long as standards are allowed to be interpreted versus enforced (and that's what is happening right now across the industry with every major brand) and until property audits return in a more stringent format, expect things like shuttles, pools, gyms, breakfast and housekeeping to be closed/suspended/modified indefinitely because that's what the owner/management company wants to help pad their bottom line.
I ran into a Marriott and a Sheraton both of which used to offer free parking (at least at Titanium, my level) and are now charging for it. For 10 years neither charged me. Both said that since the covid outbreak they charge everyone for parking at higher fees than before but elites will get a reduced fee. I appreciate the difficulties the pandemic has presented but introducing parking fees with no notice is no good. To boot at one I used the AAA rate which included free parking and was told "that's a mistake". Looking forward to getting beyond these pandemic measures and knowing what to expect when you book a room.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by razorg
Hotel demand may be down in some states, but not much in Texas. Everywhere I have been lately has been very busy.
Demand, and more importantly, rate is still down in most major markets in Texas relative to 2019. Because you don’t have most business travel and conventions yet. A possible exception may be gulf coast towns. The cities where demand is at or above pre Covid levels are places like Miami, Key West, Sedona, basically warm weather leisure places.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by uanj
3 bucks for a grab and go breakfast? I don't want to know what is in that!

I ran into a Marriott and a Sheraton both of which used to offer free parking (at least at Titanium, my level) and are now charging for it. For 10 years neither charged me. Both said that since the covid outbreak they charge everyone for parking at higher fees than before but elites will get a reduced fee. I appreciate the difficulties the pandemic has presented but introducing parking fees with no notice is no good. To boot at one I used the AAA rate which included free parking and was told "that's a mistake". Looking forward to getting beyond these pandemic measures and knowing what to expect when you book a room.
At least during peak Covid, parking was seen as a good way to generate revenue because more guests were driving versus doing thing like using Uber, so the opportunity was there
Old May 15, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
La Posada Tribute Santa Fe - Ambassador benefits non existant

Checked into the hotel, asked about breakfast, told they have breakfast but its not a Platinum and above benefit and "they are working on it." They are only offering 1000 points for the stay instead of breakfast. Can they do that or is it against the guaranteed benefit?

They are doing housekeeping every third night. We are only staying for 3 nights. If I wanted to stay at an extended stay property I would have booked one. After five conversations with 5 different people and 5 promises they would actually refresh the room, they didnt. Someone dropped off two trash bags filled with unfolded towels and water bottles and dumped them by on the credenza with the TV. It was disgusting looking and felt like a low rent hostel. Had to walk to the front desk to stand there and wait for them to send housekeeping to the room. If I pick a full service hotel, I expect daily housekeeping service and no, COVID excuse isnt going to cut it, there is no difference in risk between daily room service and every three days. Cost cutting and money grabbing (just like breakfast).

On a more personal note, we always loved this hotel and stayed here as repeat guests for years dating back to when it was a Luxury Collection with Starwood. How the mighty have fallen.

La Posada "Housekeeping"

Do I have a case to complain to Marriott? Breakfast and housekeeping and complete lack of response from the GM when I contacted him really made me mad.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by asnovici
Checked into the hotel, asked about breakfast, told they have breakfast but its not a Platinum and above benefit and "they are working on it." They are only offering 1000 points for the stay instead of breakfast. Can they do that or is it against the guaranteed benefit?
There's a recent report upthread that Marriott is now interpreting the welcome amenity choice as belonging to the hotel - i.e., they get to choose whether you get breakfast or points. Of course this is utter nonsense, but welcome to Bonvoy 2021.
Do I have a case to complain to Marriott? Breakfast and housekeeping and complete lack of response from the GM when I contacted him really made me mad.
I would complain. I would also flame them on TA, particularly for the GM not responding. That pretty much says everything you need to know about how much they care about guest satisfaction.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
You absolutely have a case based on stated policy.

Will Marriott care? Nope, not a jot.

Full service prices for limited service offerings and go pound sand for your elite benefits. That's the order of the day for Marriott at the moment.

I would still encourage you to register the complaint & think carefully about booking Marriott in future based on the current practices of them not enforcing elite benefits and allowing properties to do what they wish, because "COVID things".
asnovici likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:27 am

Happy here in Skopje. Lounge only has non-alcoholic drinks. 750 MKD each day for use, lunch and beyond, in the restaurant (only open to guests and surprisingly busy as I type) in lieu of the lounge. Breakfast is in the restaurant; order anything I want off the menu. I'll post a review in the appropriate thread in a few days.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
You absolutely have a case based on stated policy.

Will Marriott care? Nope, not a jot.

Full service prices for limited service offerings and go pound sand for your elite benefits. That's the order of the day for Marriott at the moment.

I would still encourage you to register the complaint & think carefully about booking Marriott in future based on the current practices of them not enforcing elite benefits and allowing properties to do what they wish, because "COVID things".
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I will register a complaint and do a TA report.

Does anyone have a suggestion on whether to register the complaint via Customer Care email or via Ambassador Service email?
Old May 15, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I will register a complaint and do a TA report.

Does anyone have a suggestion on whether to register the complaint via Customer Care email or via Ambassador Service email?
I would go through the Ambassador channel in your case. Ordinarily I would recommend Twitter. The outcome will likely be the same in both cases; they'll claim to register a ticket with the offending property & then you'll hear from neither Marriott nor the property again. I assume they do have to log these tickets however, so hopefully they'll start showing up on an analytics deck in a meeting sometime soon if (when) this reaches a critical mass.

I'm very much reminded of that Dave Chapelle skit with the way Marriott are carrying on at the moment - "Why treat the customer this way? Why?...."
asnovici and uanj like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:50 am

I would go through the Ambassador channel in your case. Ordinarily I would recommend Twitter. The outcome will likely be the same in both cases; they'll claim to register a ticket with the offending property & then you'll hear from neither Marriott nor the property again. I assume they do have to log these tickets however, so hopefully they'll start showing up on an analytics deck in a meeting sometime soon if (when) this reaches a critical mass.

I'm very much reminded of that Dave Chapelle skit with the way Marriott are carrying on at the moment - "Why treat the customer this way? Why?...."
Just sent the email to the Ambassador Service. Will let you know what unfolds, if anything. In the meantime, Im adding a TA review about this place.
uanj, ChurnieEls and WasKnown like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Just sent the email to the Ambassador Service. Will let you know what unfolds, if anything. In the meantime, Im adding a TA review about this place.
I hope the hotel compensate you appropriately and apologise. I suspect most hotels care more about negative trip advisor reviews these days than Marriott corporate wrist slapping.
asnovici and uanj like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I hope the hotel compensate you appropriately and apologise. I suspect most hotels care more about negative trip advisor reviews these days than Marriott corporate wrist slapping.
Thank you but based on the experiences so far at this resort I am not holding my breath. Its a stark difference in attitude from staff compared to what it was like under previous management. New GM clearly has his mind set on playing games and cost cutting to the extreme. The hotel is owned by Remington Hotels and he is their employee. Bonvoy benefits or service seem to be at the bottom of the list for his worries.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:43 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Currently staying at the Le Meridien Central Park. No Platinum+ breakfast (the restaurants isn’t open), housekeeping every 3 days, and the gym requires advanced reservation. I’m staying for a month so 1000 points is definitely a big difference from daily breakfast. Truthfully, I don’t care about the restrictions as much as many people here seem to. I doubt the breakfast was anything special and housekeeping a couple times a week is more than enough for me. The gym limitations are definitely inconvenient but it’s not the end of the world.

NYC is pretty open rn with indoor dining back at 75% capacity (full soon) and most areas (including the hotel) are packed rn. I wonder what it will take for these hotels to start operating at “full service” again.
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Currently staying at the Le Meridien Central Park. No Platinum+ breakfast (the restaurants isn’t open), housekeeping every 3 days, and the gym requires advanced reservation. I’m staying for a month so 1000 points is definitely a big difference from daily breakfast. Truthfully, I don’t care about the restrictions as much as many people here seem to. I doubt the breakfast was anything special and housekeeping a couple times a week is more than enough for me. The gym limitations are definitely inconvenient but it’s not the end of the world.

NYC is pretty open rn with indoor dining back at 75% capacity (full soon) and most areas (including the hotel) are packed rn. I wonder what it will take for these hotels to start operating at “full service” again.
Perhaps they should be compensating you. Especially with at least 1000 per day for no breakfast.

David
Old May 15, 2021, 12:23 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Perhaps they should be compensating you. Especially with at least 1000 per day for no breakfast.

David
I can understand why a lot of people would want compensation. I was unlikely to eat the breakfast anyway so I don’t care too much.

I think an customer-friendly solution for the breakfast issue is for Marriott to change the welcome benefit from 1000 points at check-in to 500-1000 points every night (to be issued by the hotel, not Marriott). I doubt that will ever happen though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.