Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Comparing lounges between regions, somehow I think Asia Pacific region hotels did have more superior lounge than MiddleEast, European, and US offering.

Not counting those Asian The Luxury Collection hotels with lounge (The Athenee Keraton at The Plaza, and Tokyo Prince Gallery)

Most of the lounge I compare are from Westins, Sheratons, and Marriotts.
Asian Westins/Sheratons/Marriotts did have larger lounge with separate dining area and living room like area with more selection of small snacks and heavier foods.
Asian lounge usually have inferior alcohol choices though

While Middle Eastern and European one have smaller lounge and no separate living room like area.

Personally I like to use those lounges in Asian Pacific region. The one in other region however, I don't think I will miss them if they gone.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
I fully admit i don't have a clue about staffing details for a hotel lounge, but it just seems to be minimal. Key card protected so you don't need a door agent. All food and drink is pre packaged so you don't need a constant attendant. just someone to check on the levels of food every hour or two. just seems minimal.
If alcohol is available free or for sale in USA lounges, the hotel would generally be required to have an employee there at all times to prevent kids (under 21) from taking it. There could also be liability if guests were to overserve themselves.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Should I just let it go, or reach out to someone about the abrupt letter and swapping points for the guarantee?
Old May 19, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Should I just let it go, or reach out to someone about the abrupt letter and swapping points for the guarantee?
i would be happy to receive to 18k points when claiming guarantee considering I’m not sure everyone can even reach the stage you arrived at. (Not to say this is right on Marriott’s part but you probably made out better than most). I would let it go.
Tanic, uanj, dcstudent and 2 others like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Good grief, I'd have let it go a long time ago...

Regards
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
I fully admit i don't have a clue about staffing details for a hotel lounge, but it just seems to be minimal. Key card protected so you don't need a door agent. All food and drink is pre packaged so you don't need a constant attendant. just someone to check on the levels of food every hour or two. just seems minimal.
This the opposite of how it should be. The Lounge should be attended by an agent (who can also offer check-in/check-out for premium guests), access controlled to ensure only approved guests and companions occupying the same room are able to enter, and ensuring food service is handled in a hygienic manner which minimizes waste and theft/removal. The cost savings from this approach would outweigh or at least balance the cost of a temporary agent onsite during limited lounge service hours. I've often had to pull the door closed behind to block tailgaters from following me in.

Your approach is basically offering a giant free vending machine and no hotel operator in their right mind should allow that to happen.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
i would be happy to receive to 18k points when claiming guarantee considering I’m not sure everyone can even reach the stage you arrived at. (Not to say this is right on Marriott’s part but you probably made out better than most). I would let it go.
That is the way I felt about it to begin with. The responses to my post, made me think I was doing the wrong thing by accepting what was offered. I have never experienced them failing to offer and was just irritated by the perceived tone of the email. That tone is the only thing that brought on a feeling of, WAIT! Why a bad attitude? Just offer 18K and leave it at that. I would have never even wrote about it then.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Good grief, I'd have let it go a long time ago...

Regards
I really only wonder about letting someone higher up know that the wording of their emails should be reconsidered and take in consideration how it makes the customer feel.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This the opposite of how it should be. The Lounge should be attended by an agent (who can also offer check-in/check-out for premium guests), access controlled to ensure only approved guests and companions occupying the same room are able to enter, and ensuring food service is handled in a hygienic manner which minimizes waste and theft/removal. The cost savings from this approach would outweigh or at least balance the cost of a temporary agent onsite during limited lounge service hours. I've often had to pull the door closed behind to block tailgaters from following me in.

Your approach is basically offering a giant free vending machine and no hotel operator in their right mind should allow that to happen.
I've seen lounge agents very obviously refuse to do anything about tailgaters.
SPN Lifer, Ryno1234 and WasKnown like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
I really only wonder about letting someone higher up know that the wording of their emails should be reconsidered and take in consideration how it makes the customer feel.
Believe me, "they" know the wording of the emails. Nothing with that wording gets sent out randomly. In my almost eleven years with two Marriott properties I saw some fairly terse verbiage that came out of Salt Lake City, Omaha and from GMs to guests when they didn't want to deal with something or they considered the guest to be a habitual complainer. At the Hampton where I work now, I just spoke with a guest a few months back who had a beef with our place and went the Diamond Desk route and they sent him an email that was worded almost identical to what you got. It said that they considered X matter closed and that any further attempts for compensation past the 15K points given would be denied at all levels. Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever
Believe me, "they" know the wording of the emails. Nothing with that wording gets sent out randomly. In my almost eleven years with two Marriott properties I saw some fairly terse verbiage that came out of Salt Lake City, Omaha and from GMs to guests when they didn't want to deal with something or they considered the guest to be a habitual complainer. At the Hampton where I work now, I just spoke with a guest a few months back who had a beef with our place and went the Diamond Desk route and they sent him an email that was worded almost identical to what you got. It said that they considered X matter closed and that any further attempts for compensation past the 15K points given would be denied at all levels. Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
Why do they use that verbiage on an initial email on the very first issue brought up by a guest?
Old May 19, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen lounge agents very obviously refuse to do anything about tailgaters.
I’ve rarely seen that in the USA and when I do, I’ll be direct with the agent to either do something about it or I’ll write them up with management. In Asia, where I have most of my stays, many lounges have check in desks making tailgating pretty much impossible.

I have no patience for a non eligible free loader coming into the lounge and stuffing their pockets with everything they can fit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 7:12 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
stuffing their pockets with everything they can fit.
I saw this frequently at the Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park. None of the staff did anything, perhaps because it is common at that hotel (some people ate all of their meals at the lounge/free breakfast buffet).
Old May 19, 2021, 7:13 pm

I’ve rarely seen that in the USA and when I do, I’ll be direct with the agent to either do something about it or I’ll write them up with management. In Asia, where I have most of my stays, many lounges have check in desks making tailgating pretty much impossible.

I have no patience for a non eligible free loader coming into the lounge and stuffing their pockets with everything they can fit.
Don't feel bad, I stop tailgaters too.
SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My last act would be the well-deserved TA flame, then let it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.