Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Per Marriott Lurker II in post #608:

Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, our Elite Benefit compensation related to our Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, Room Type Guarantee, Welcome Gifts, and Lounge access has been placed on hold.

We appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Marriott Bonvoy Stays and Services Due to Covid (Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
If I make the claim on the $100, does that mean they no longer have to offer me breakfast or 1000 points or I forfeit those in lieu of the $100, or is it a guarantee and the benefit?
Of course... the guarantee is you wanting something and them not having it. If they had it, they wouldn’t pay you.

as I’ve mentioned in this thread. I would do all my communication via the in app chat feature to have everything documented.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Of course... the guarantee is you wanting something and them not having it. If they had it, they wouldn’t pay you.

as I’ve mentioned in this thread. I would do all my communication via the in app chat feature to have everything documented.
Well they have breakfast, they just did not offer me any options or mention it at check in.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:30 am

deleted
Old May 16, 2021, 8:31 am

I am on the app now. Just send a request for manager and follow up with, "I want to make a claim for not offering a welcome gift choice"
Old May 16, 2021, 9:01 am

Wow! No manager on duty. He left the hotel and will not be back until after 11:30.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:03 am

I am on the app now. Just send a request for manager and follow up with, "I want to make a claim for not offering a welcome gift choice"
I would be a little more forceful in asking. They probably will have no clue what you’re asking for. Here’s an example I’ve shared in the past:

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:11 am

I would be a little more forceful in asking. They probably will have no clue what you’re asking for. Here’s an example I’ve shared in the past:

I am a little confused about Westin, Marriott is straight forward. The spreadsheet I read show no guarantee for lounge when closed, it says N/A. For welcome it shows 1000 or breakfast for two or $100. That one I am sure I am eligible for, but the lounge being closed appears to be nothing.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:22 am

It appears all that I am eligible to request is $100 based on my reading. Am I correct or am I missing something?
Old May 16, 2021, 9:33 am

Joe the director of operations, 2nd in command states that he has to do an investigation because his staff was supposed to offer me the option and since they did not, he needs to investigate and it will take a couple of days for him to do that.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:34 am

I am a little confused about Westin, Marriott is straight forward. The spreadsheet I read show no guarantee for lounge when closed, it says N/A. For welcome it shows 1000 or breakfast for two or $100. That one I am sure I am eligible for, but the lounge being closed appears to be nothing.
correct, so you would only get $100. My stay was at a Marriott which is why I requested $200.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by stvr
Are hotels allowed to choose the welcome amenity for you? I refer to ones in which breakfast is being sold but not given to elites as an amenity. Usually the reply is “we’ve gone ahead and given you 1,000 points.” People on here seem to think that’s not okay but since when has someone from Marriott come out and agreed?
These days, the answer to that is yes.

I've asked the Marriott folks on here numerous times to confirm if that is not the case, however they have declined to make any confirmation either way. Which says a lot about where customer service and brand standards are at right now.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls

I've asked the Marriott folks on here numerous times to confirm if that is not the case, however they have declined to make any confirmation either way. Which says a lot about where customer service and brand standards are at right now.
This is an incredibly sad development and the worst devaluation by far, as it’s incredibly hard to track. I didn’t realize me staying away from Marriott for a year due to public health necessities would necessitate its demise.
Old May 16, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls

I’m not sure why Marriott refuses to confirm this. I spent 30 mins with the Ambassadors desk telling them how fundamentally flawed the thought that is was the property’s choice instead of the guest. If the property makes the decision it’s technically impossible to claim the compensation since you have to make it before you leave the property and points don’t post before you leave the property.

I would continue to press for compensation if no choice is given - meaning you asked for the choice and they said there’s not a choice as opposed to them just not offering.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:29 pm

Got a response, the tone I am reading into it seems a little blunt. I would have been happy with that response otherwise. It was off-putting how the D.O. handled our conversation and that there was no manager in the hotel.

EDITED OF COURSE:

"Thank you for reaching out to Marriott Corporate Customer Care. I welcome the opportunity to assist you.
I spoke to *** on site. To resolve this issue, I will issue you 18,000 points which is equivalent to $100 worth of points. I want to apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. There will be no further compensation provided. (seems rude to add that)

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can be of further assistance! I hope you have a wonderful day"
JMHO, but maybe I am reading too much into that.
mikebor and WasKnown like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
They're essentially paying you off.

I'm minded of that scene from Fight Club where they're discussing the cost of car recalls via-a-vis the cost of the recall versus the cost of paying out compensation claims. I figure something similar is going on here, the cost savings of electing to not provide breakfast versus the cost of throwing a few thousand points to those who complain. Whichever is cheaper is what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.