Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
I called to detach a cat 6 package from a reservation today. I thought they would automatically convert to points but to my surprise the package is now in my account with the name showing up to 420k points and June 30 expiry date.
senyah likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:31 am

Yes- I forgot to state that the newly worded partial package expires june 30 2022. This expiration date does not work for me. I am very frustrated as I tried to use my old worded travel package last October at a category 6 hotel in NYC; however, Marriott would not let me attach it as they said the hotel had 2 nights that exceeded the value of my package. I did and do not understand- is a Category 6 not valid at a Category 6? I wasted my time making numerous calls to customer service and started a case that went nowhere only to book at Hyatt and use my last remaining Hyatt points.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jpersonette11
Sounds good. Yeah I agree on letting this play out first. And 200k points is what I thought I would be getting when i read everything back in January. So if that plays out, then all is good...and now its what to do before point devaluation.
Just got off the phone. Seemed to get someone who checked with a department that knew what was happening. Anyway:

- There are a lot more of these travel packages floating around than Marriott thought
- Their original plan to convert them didn't work
- They are going to start converting these in batches starting the middle of next week (so call it March 9)
- Hopefully we'll start to hear reports of people getting their's converted around 3/9
- They were not willing to go ahead and convert early over the phone, said I had to wait

Last edited by johnep1; Mar 4, 2022 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by johnep1
On the phone with Bonvoy now. I am not going to let this play out. I figure there's a decent chance Marriott is about to Bonvoy everyone and decide not to honor what they announced earlier this year. So my best option is to call in and see if someone can do the conversion. If Marriott doesn't Bonvoy us then I'm no worse off, but this is the only way I'm still a bit in control of not being Bonvoyed.
let us know how it goes.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Cana2013
let us know how it goes.
I updated my earlier post with the result - not the best news, but believable.
Cana2013 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just got off the phone. Seemed to get someone who checked with a department that knew what was happening. Anyway:

- There are a lot more of these travel packages floating around than Marriott thought
- They are going to start converting these in batches starting the middle of next week (so call it March 9)
- Hopefully we'll start to hear reports of people getting their's converted around 3/9
- They were not willing to go ahead and convert early over the phone, said I had to wait
Thanks for your effort.

So they aren't willing to allow these travel package certs to be used currently and they aren't willing to allow them to be converted currently. I can see why some customers already feel like they have been Bonvoyed by Marriott when it comes to redeeming certs/points for award nights.
imverge and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:02 pm

Take a screenshot of what packages you have in case of error in conversion.
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:34 pm

It seems they are waiting to convert closer to devaluation. Marriott had plenty of time to identify the "floating packages".
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I called to detach a cat 6 package from a reservation today. I thought they would automatically convert to points but to my surprise the package is now in my account with the name showing up to 420k points and June 30 expiry date.
Hahaha..wait are you telling me that they are capable of properly detaching certs now...right in time for them to all be converted to points?
Old Mar 4, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Hahaha..wait are you telling me that they are capable of properly detaching certs now...right in time for them to all be converted to points?
At least the guy answered my call today know how to do it😀 I did not expect or want that to happen. I wanted to get the 420k points.
BAK likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:41 am

Thanks for this! Odd that that they need to do it manually, in batches, and can’t start doing so until later next week.
exploreaswego likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Thanks for this! Odd that that they need to do it manually, in batches, and can’t start doing so until later next week.
it's not a matter of can/cannot; it's a matter of will and prioritization. Where there is a will, there is a way when it comes to these things. Yet here again we see that Marriott just doesn't have it as a priority to do the most customer-friendly thing possible for such circumstances: blanket authorization for the Marriott reps to manually convert the partial travel package certs into points upon customer request and catch the rest via automated sweeps/batch query/batch updates.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
it's not a matter of can/cannot; it's a matter of will and prioritization. Where there is a will, there is a way when it comes to these things. Yet here again we see that Marriott just doesn't have it as a priority to do the most customer-friendly thing possible for such circumstances: blanket authorization for the Marriott reps to manually convert the partial travel package certs into points upon customer request and catch the rest via automated sweeps/batch query/batch updates.
Yes, I would have to agree with you there
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am feeling worse and worse about this. I emailed Marriott as well and got this reply - "For security and the protection of your account information, I apologize that we cannot assist you further with this information via email. Please contact Marriott by phone for assistance. We can be reached toll free in the US and Canada at 800-228-2100. If you have additional questions, we are happy to assist you."

So they're unwilling to help over email or over the phone. I am holding out hope that we'll start to see these processed in a few days, but I don't trust Marriott at all.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:13 am
Suspended

I am feeling worse and worse about this. I emailed Marriott as well and got this reply - "For security and the protection of your account information, I apologize that we cannot assist you further with this information via email. Please contact Marriott by phone for assistance. We can be reached toll free in the US and Canada at 800-228-2100. If you have additional questions, we are happy to assist you."

So they're unwilling to help over email or over the phone. I am holding out hope that we'll start to see these processed in a few days, but I don't trust Marriott at all.
It's a pretty sad state of affairs when we consumers have to scrutinize the communications of major companies with which we are doing a lot of business in much the same way as we have to scrutinize announcements and actions from governments known to play misleading games.

It seems to me that this Marriott is definitely not your parents'/grandparents' Marriott. It's something more exploitative.
SPN Lifer and ankomonkey like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.