Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
These days I make it a habit [to] always ask, "Did I get the welcome point bonus?" at check out time. One out of four times this would reveal nothing had been done, as the clerk asked, "did you take any market item?" That tells me the check in clerk failed to press that key of welcome bonus!
[Boldface & underscored emphasis added.]
Thank you for this extremely helpful advice.

Well worth remembering!
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Are the property able to correct even a few days after the stay? I’ve always found I had to reach out to Marriott for this to be retro applied.
Very quickly. Posted the next day in all cases. I never go to BonVoy to ask for that because you are putting an extra layer between you and the property, not to mention many BonVoy reps dont have a clue. Then the rep submitted a form to the property, then the property looked at it when they had the time.... When you call the property. once the property found your stay info, they would see what they did at their end. Then corrected it while still on the phone. I have more than once the property clerks told me, "It is done right now while we speak."

On related topic, missing stay often is easier to correct with property directly as well, especially if you are in the same region as the property. i.e. US for US, Europe for Europe, etc.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
I had a Cat 6, 7-nt travel package attached to a reservation. I called last Friday, canceled the reservation, asked the rep to make sure I get the certificate returned. The rep knew about the potential value of the certificate and assured me the certificate will be returned. The cert returned to my account within 12 hours (with the .......up to 420K points) language. Then this morning, I received an email that the certificate was canceled and my account 420K points richer. Overall, it worked out.
GUWonder, Happy, imverge and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by margarita girl

However, I can’t imagine why Marriott would want to keep the TP refund issues a secret while the endless speculation here and on the blogs went rampant. A simple “we’re having IT issues, refunds are delayed” would have sufficed.
Would it have really sufficed when being c. 10 days late and having no intention of providing a manual adjustment in the period between the originally stated date and the actual switch date? Blaming IT just may not cut it, especially when it's a cop-out that adversely impacts customers to the short-term benefit of the company claiming "IT issues" and dealing with the kind of employees who do talk about what works and how things work and don't work.

I can't imagine why a reputable company caring about customer loyalty would behave the way Marriott has with the delay in delivering on the conversion. Except for the expiration extension thing, this was the most customer-friendly thing Marriott had done with the partial TP certs' value in quite some time. They could have owned a customer-friendly approach but instead Marriott squandered the opportunity. But this is not your parents'/grandparents' Marriott, and now guests are heads-in-beds that are but a commodity to be sold to Marriott's real clients: the hotel property owners/operators. Marriott has other priorities that allow for further Bonvoying those who are the heads-in-beds. We were low priority, in the IT queue and otherwise.

We are lucky that Marriott didn't drag the conversion process out even longer and that they didn't try to further Bonvoy the value of the last of the partial TP certs more than they already had done.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
What’s the process if one has a reservation already with the 7N cert attached.

if we cancel it online do we get the full points value back e.g 420K for Cat 6
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by lsed

You need to reach out for that to happen, I believe if you simply cancel the TP cert. now it won’t be returned.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

From the FAQ. (Might be worthwhile to post this in the wiki.)

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer and imverge like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:26 pm

I'm in the same boat as I have a reservation with a certificate attached. I called and the agent said the certificate has to be cancelled by phoning in and then the points will be added in 3-4 days as they are processing the certificate cancellation in batches.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:10 am

I ended up calling Marriott back and had them remove the attached certificate. The points were deposited this morning.
GUWonder, SPN Lifer, Happy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by imverge
I ended up calling Marriott back and had them remove the attached certificate. The points were deposited this morning.
What number did you call?

I usually dial the number on the app, but then get transferred over to the loyalty department; I'm appalled at the level of apathy from all the customer service representatives that I've been on the phone with.
One told me I had to send in the paper certificate(what?) to get the points back, the other said they could not even see the certificate attached to the reservation, another one found it attached but in the back-end and the last one told me they cannot remove the attached certificates, and opened up a case on March 10 to get it detached and points credited.
Called back today to see what has happened and they still have not done anything with it, nor do they know how long it will take.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by senyah
What number did you call?

I usually dial the number on the app, but then get transferred over to the loyalty department; I'm appalled at the level of apathy from all the customer service representatives that I've been on the phone with.
One told me I had to send in the paper certificate(what?) to get the points back, the other said they could not even see the certificate attached to the reservation, another one found it attached but in the back-end and the last one told me they cannot remove the attached certificates, and opened up a case on March 10 to get it detached and points credited.
Called back today to see what has happened and they still have not done anything with it, nor do they know how long it will take.
I called 1-800-399-4229. The voice response system will list several options in which it can help you with (**COUGH**) such as what's my points balance etc... I just respond with "something else". Both agents I spoke with on both days had to put me on hold and speak with the help desk. I would take a screen shot of your current points balance and also ask the agent what's the certificate number (not certificate type) because they are able to trace certificates by their number if anything should not go as planned. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.
Counsellor, SPN Lifer and senyah like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I couldn’t even remember how much I paid for my 7 night Cat 1-4 cert (formerly Cat 1-5) and it was 270K pts. Worst case scenario is I get 180K pts back. Best case scenario, I get 210K pts back. And I get to keep my 100K airline miles. Wish I had more than 1 cert to cash out!

With the uncertainty of travel, I’ll cash out. I totally agree with yoonny that it makes no sense to actually use the certs!
Thanks for reminding me of these details, I was struggling to remember them but managed to audit via the emails.

I ordered a cat 1-5 TP at the end of July for 270K pts as you state, then on 15th July 2019 I have 2 emails, one cancellation for the 1-5, and one order confirmation for a partial 7NTS 1-4.

You seem to remember more clearly about this b/c you state 'Cat 1-4 cert (formerly Cat 1-5)', was that an automatic enhancement? I'm not sure what was the reason for those packages to be downgraded from 5 to 4.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
Thanks for reminding me of these details, I was struggling to remember them but managed to audit via the emails.

I ordered a cat 1-5 TP at the end of July for 270K pts as you state, then on 15th July 2019 I have 2 emails, one cancellation for the 1-5, and one order confirmation for a partial 7NTS 1-4.

You seem to remember more clearly about this b/c you state 'Cat 1-4 cert (formerly Cat 1-5)', was that an automatic enhancement? I'm not sure what was the reason for those packages to be downgraded from 5 to 4.
Because Marriott took the stance to Match Down versus the much hyped by the blogsphere that the old certs would match up (so people gained a windfall). What happened subsequently, and in many different ways, were that Marriott refunded the overcharged points (from the calculation of the old categories), either before the final conversion date when people called and got lucky to have a supervisor doing this but it was purely random luck, or much later upon A TON OF Outcries on the net Marriott finally caved in and agreed to refund the overcharge on the downgrade. At the end, it did seem everyone who got the downgrade certs were fairly refunded.

AFAIK, there is NO email sent out on the refund, just that your total point balance increased by the refund while the account activity did not even show that line entry.

I think your auditing is probably way too late after most relevant info on BonVoy site were lost. Though I believe you would have received the downgrade refund 3 years ago when the merger was finalized. It was a BIG DEAL at that time due to the initial stance Marriott took was, Too Bad. Take a Hike. It took many weeks and chaos before the policy was set and refunds were issued.
SPN Lifer and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by Happy
Because Marriott took the stance to Match Down versus the much hyped by the blogsphere that the old certs would match up (so people gained a windfall). What happened subsequently, and in many different ways, were that Marriott refunded the overcharged points (from the calculation of the old categories), either before the final conversion date when people called and got lucky to have a supervisor doing this but it was purely random luck, or much later upon A TON OF Outcries on the net Marriott finally caved in and agreed to refund the overcharge on the downgrade. At the end, it did seem everyone who got the downgrade certs were fairly refunded.

AFAIK, there is NO email sent out on the refund, just that your total point balance increased by the refund while the account activity did not even show that line entry.

I think your auditing is probably way too late after most relevant info on BonVoy site were lost. Though I believe you would have received the downgrade refund 3 years ago when the merger was finalized. It was a BIG DEAL at that time due to the initial stance Marriott took was, Too Bad. Take a Hike. It took many weeks and chaos before the policy was set and refunds were issued.
Thank you very much for the detailed info. I surely missed all that event (a great reminder to never ever forget about being a regular FTer).

AFAIK, there is NO email sent out on the refund: it seems so, as I couldn't find anything about it.

I think your auditing is probably way too late after most relevant info on BonVoy site were lost: Sadly yes, as 24Mos. is the max showing, and it wouldn't be any useful to see more activity if you recall that the refund didn't even show as an entry in the activity.

This is the rewards order I got in the email.

Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami

This was the award chart pre-merger. Note that Cat 5 was 25K pts.

Here is the revised chart post merger. Note that Cat 4 is 25K pts, so they tweaked the categories plus eliminated Cat 9.

Venezuela-Miami likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.