Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
So exactly where on the Marriott website do I find details of what the resort fee includes? All Waikiki properties say this in the email confirmation " Internet, bottled water, Go Pro rental and more." But what does the "more" include?

Starwood used to give a complete list of what is included in the resort fee. I can't find this anywhere on the Marriott site.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:09 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Varies by property. Contact the property for specifics
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Varies by property. Contact the property for specifics
Via email?
Tanic likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course not: by fax.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
So exactly where on the Marriott website do I find details of what the resort fee includes? All Waikiki properties say this in the email confirmation " Internet, bottled water, Go Pro rental and more." But what does the "more" include?

Starwood used to give a complete list of what is included in the resort fee. I can't find this anywhere on the Marriott site.
I don't understand when things got so loosey goosey with specifics, and why people have condoned it. We are spending $100s/1000s of dollars for a few days spent on a property, I would expect all the amenities (including the "extras") to be itemized.

Marriott has really let things go.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Toukolou
I don't understand when things got so loosey goosey with specifics, and why people have condoned it. We are spending $100s/1000s of dollars for a few days spent on a property, I would expect all the amenities (including the "extras") to be itemized.

Marriott has really let things go.
A lot of stuff is seemingly left to the property. I also am Globalist on Hyatt and on the Hyatt app, I can clearly see what is on property, what the hours of everything are (club lounge, breakfast etc) in the same place. Marriott, it is hit or miss.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
A lot of stuff is seemingly left to the property. I also am Globalist on Hyatt and on the Hyatt app, I can clearly see what is on property, what the hours of everything are (club lounge, breakfast etc) in the same place. Marriott, it is hit or miss.
When is Marriott ever a hit? What other company charges you $35+/day for unidentified items and you are supposed to call in to find out what they are???
UA-NYC and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
That's my point, it really isn't that hard. When I go to a property site to book, outline exactly what's available and included. Even if every property is different it's still very doable. I really don't appreciate the ambiguity.

We're spending a lot of money without having a clear idea of what we're getting. I can't think of many other spend categories where I can say that.
margarita girl and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:08 pm

everyone would save themselves a lot of stress if they stopped trying to solve the mystery. The resort fee is just a component of the room rate. Once you accept that and ignore all the baloney wrapped around it, things become much easier. Arguing with them about what's included in the fee is what they want - it legitimizes the fee by perpetrating the myth that you're getting something for it.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
everyone would save themselves a lot of stress if they stopped trying to solve the mystery. The resort fee is just a component of the room rate. Once you accept that and ignore all the baloney wrapped around it, things become much easier. Arguing with them about what's included in the fee is what they want - it legitimizes the fee by perpetrating the myth that you're getting something for it.
Lol, qft☝️
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:32 pm

I'm staying at a Hyatt on points currently, and they waived the resort fee for me as a very low-level Hyatt member. They actually stopped the check-in process because the manager wanted to personally greet me, thank me for my loyalty to Hyatt, and offer me a direct contact if I needed anything during my stay. And they gave me a two-level room upgrade at no charge. They also upgraded my lounge access via points to full a-la-carte breakfast at the restaurant, and allowed me to have access to an even nicer lounge. The front desk person even proactively offered me 2:00pm late checkout, even though I can't use it. I was in shock, because my check-in experience with Marriott is never like that.

If my points stay had been at a comparable Marriott resort, they would have charged me the resort fee, given me the room I booked unless I begged or complained, made me pay a $6-$10 "upcharge" for the free hot buffet breakfast that is supposed to come with the Arrival Gift (when the cold buffet is something like green melon and muffins), not allowed me to access the lounge with status (or even points) because it's either closed, not available, or called a "Griffin Club," and probably charged me for bottled water (Hyatt put so much free bottled water in my room that I won't have to buy any of the $5 bottled water on property).

And a Marriott stay would never get me late checkout offered upon check-in! I'd ask nicely and be told 12pm is the best they can do (We're a resort!), while they are offering no-status members next to me the exact same check-out time. Then I'd negotiate for 15 minutes to get it to 1:00pm, and be frustrated with the entire process.

I'm scratching my head as a Lifetime Titanium why I still stay at Marriott hotels. I've started dipping my toe in the Hilton and Hyatt waters this year, and it has been an overall excellent experience with both.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by JW6130
I'm staying at a Hyatt on points currently, and they waived the resort fee for me as a very low-level Hyatt member. They actually stopped the check-in process because the manager wanted to personally greet me, thank me for my loyalty to Hyatt, and offer me a direct contact if I needed anything during my stay. And they gave me a two-level room upgrade at no charge. They also upgraded my lounge access via points to full a-la-carte breakfast at the restaurant, and allowed me to have access to an even nicer lounge. The front desk person even proactively offered me 2:00pm late checkout, even though I can't use it. I was in shock, because my check-in experience with Marriott is never like that.... I'm scratching my head as a Lifetime Titanium why I still stay at Marriott hotels. I've started dipping my toe in the Hilton and Hyatt waters this year, and it has been an overall excellent experience with both.
I status matched to Hyatt Diamond (now Globalist) one year and noticed the exact contrast you describe.

FWIW Hyatt and Hilton waive resort fees when all points/no cash are used for an award stay.
UA-NYC and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tanic
I status matched to Hyatt Diamond (now Globalist) one year and noticed the exact contrast you describe.

FWIW Hyatt and Hilton waive resort fees when all points/no cash are used for an award stay.
The difference between Hyatt and Marriott has become staggering - I've considered a status match, but I don't really feel like chasing hotel status anymore after SPG LT Platinum. Now I just look at AirBNB where there isn't a reasonable alternative with Marriott.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:40 pm

Our new strategy for resort fee properties is to put in the notes of our reservations that we have a "neat pile of towels" fee of $36.00 per day, plus tax and handling charge which the hotel accepts by confirming the reservation. Many hotel guests leave used towels all over the place, but we fold them (not too carefully since we don't want the staff to re-use them) and make a neat pile (or pyramid for $5.00 per day extra). It's in the notes!
margarita girl and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I read this just in time. My colleague just came back from Shanghai whining (now justified it seems) about the Twelve on Hengshan trying to charge him two suspicious charges with no explanation at all. One a $50 per day "OTHER" and another $35 per day "Daily Services", and he's stayed there 5 days so it added up to $425. When he went up to the front desk and asked for clarifications of the fee, the front desk person actually replied: "I don't know, but you have to pay it, I'm going to charge your card now", to which he told them no don't you dare until he finds out what is it. The manager on duty came out and he was hostile (according to him) about it and adamant that he has to pay it, but he can't say what it is for! Finally another management came out and (for him anyway) BS the fees as a type of "service charge" but again can't specifically said what kind of services. I think he has escalated to Marriott corporate, I'll update this forum on what's the resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.