Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:08 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW
I will in due time, I promise. I don't want the hotel in question to change their website before the proper eyeballs can see (and hopefully punish) the offending property. When I get to the office on Monday I'll post screen shots & a copy of the folio for everyone to see.
Are you ready to name & shame yet?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:32 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by volklboy
Our new strategy for resort fee properties is to put in the notes of our reservations that we have a "neat pile of towels" fee of $36.00 per day, plus tax and handling charge which the hotel accepts by confirming the reservation. Many hotel guests leave used towels all over the place, but we fold them (not too carefully since we don't want the staff to re-use them) and make a neat pile (or pyramid for $5.00 per day extra). It's in the notes!
Please let us know how this works.

If someone wants to "make book", I'll take the under
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I read this just in time. My colleague just came back from Shanghai whining (now justified it seems) about the Twelve on Hengshan trying to charge him two suspicious charges with no explanation at all. One a $50 per day "OTHER" and another $35 per day "Daily Services", and he's stayed there 5 days so it added up to $425. When he went up to the front desk and asked for clarifications of the fee, the front desk person actually replied: "I don't know, but you have to pay it, I'm going to charge your card now", to which he told them no don't you dare until he finds out what is it. The manager on duty came out and he was hostile (according to him) about it and adamant that he has to pay it, but he can't say what it is for! Finally another management came out and (for him anyway) BS the fees as a type of "service charge" but again can't specifically said what kind of services. I think he has escalated to Marriott corporate, I'll update this forum on what's the resolution.
Wow! I am guessing this abuse stems from the fact that the property owner has a considerable amount of power (quite common in Asia). The fact that powerful owners exist is yet another reason for corporate to write up concrete policies on resort fees. I'm reminded of places like the RC Singapore simply opting out of the program; while I realize that Marriott makes money by managing these nonconforming hotels, bowing down to the whims of the owners doesn't set a good precedent for other Marriotts. I think many of us would be perfectly content if Marriott gave up on 12 Hengshan, the Hongta, and the RC Singapore. They would be doing us a favor by forcing us to select hotels that played nicely, even if it means going with non-Marriott brands
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JW6130
If my points stay had been at a comparable Marriott resort, they would have charged me the resort fee, given me the room I booked unless I begged or complained, made me pay a $6-$10 "upcharge" for the free hot buffet breakfast that is supposed to come with the Arrival Gift (when the cold buffet is something like green melon and muffins), not allowed me to access the lounge with status (or even points) because it's either closed, not available, or called a "Griffin Club," and probably charged me for bottled water (Hyatt put so much free bottled water in my room that I won't have to buy any of the $5 bottled water on property).

And a Marriott stay would never get me late checkout offered upon check-in! I'd ask nicely and be told 12pm is the best they can do (We're a resort!), while they are offering no-status members next to me the exact same check-out time. Then I'd negotiate for 15 minutes to get it to 1:00pm, and be frustrated with the entire process.
And yet, here you are in the Marriott forum.

Originally Posted by JW6130
I'm scratching my head as a Lifetime Titanium why I still stay at Marriott hotels. I've started dipping my toe in the Hilton and Hyatt waters this year, and it has been an overall excellent experience with both.
Having read your post, I, too, am wondering why you stay at Marriott hotels. There must be a reason, -- tell us. Enquiring Minds Want To Know!!
EdV and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I read this just in time. My colleague just came back from Shanghai whining (now justified it seems) about the Twelve on Hengshan trying to charge him two suspicious charges with no explanation at all. One a $50 per day "OTHER" and another $35 per day "Daily Services", and he's stayed there 5 days so it added up to $425. When he went up to the front desk and asked for clarifications of the fee, the front desk person actually replied: "I don't know, but you have to pay it, I'm going to charge your card now", to which he told them no don't you dare until he finds out what is it. The manager on duty came out and he was hostile (according to him) about it and adamant that he has to pay it, but he can't say what it is for! Finally another management came out and (for him anyway) BS the fees as a type of "service charge" but again can't specifically said what kind of services. I think he has escalated to Marriott corporate, I'll update this forum on what's the resolution.
Any update on this situation? That said, I'm not sure if the "I don't know, but you have to pay [the charge], I'm going to charge your card now" is the result of poor command of English, as one would typically expect for China...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.