Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tanic
A large number of hotel rooms are booked on OTAs. If you book a bonvOY property on an OTA such as Chase LHRC, you will NEVER know how much the added "resort fee" is until receiving the final bill. This is after you have paid up front.
Who runs the portal for Chase? If the resort fee is included in your total isn't a breakdown of fees taxes available before purchase? You could pop over to Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia or Travelocity or even the property website if you want to know how much the resort fee is before you confirm the reservation if they truly don't list it.

James
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by damon88

NYC is a bad example since the StR NYC is one of the few hotels in the world whose destination fee actually includes things I do want.

Daily benefits include:

$50 fee
  • 50 USD Food and Beverage Credit (available in all outlets)
  • 50 USD Laundry/Dry Cleaning Credit
  • 25 USD Fodera Hair Salon Credit
  • Free HSIA, Local, Long Distance and International calls (unlimited)
  • 2 Museum (MOMA or Met) tickets per day
They used to give 1000 points a day too but I believe they discontinued that. Waived for 5 plus night stays.
Wow. I’m surprised those things are available daily. So a 5 night stay would get you:
  • 250 USD Food and Beverage Credit (available in all outlets)
  • 250 USD Laundry/Dry Cleaning Credit
  • 125 USD Fodera Hair Salon Credit
  • 10 Museum (MOMA or Met) tickets

Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Wow. I’m surprised those things are available daily. So a 5 night stay would get you:

I don't think that's how it works. Normally, the inclusions from a resort fee run on a daily basis to make sure you don't get value out of them. For example, I suspect someone staying at this hotel would get drinks some of the days but not all of the days. They might use dry cleaning 1 or more days and use the very overpriced salon. I would be shocked if more than a handful of people get $50 of value per day on this fee. Of course, its even more ludicrous considering the price point of the hotel
alexj7 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl

StR NYC offer without question the best resort fee value I've ever seen, and by a large margin. They let me roll the F&B credit.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I just did the same query on Expedia, Booking & Travelocity. In all cases the resort fee was disclosed before purchase.
Is it disclosed on the listings page (where other hotels are included, and you can sort by price)? (I'm too lazy to check, but I think I know the answer.)
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Is it disclosed on the listings page (where other hotels are included, and you can sort by price)? (I'm too lazy to check, but I think I know the answer.)
nope.. at least for Expedia it’s just like the Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton booking where you won’t see the resort fee until you click the property. Poor little Expedia. Not sure about other OTA and too lazy to check tonight.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And businesses never pass on higher taxes/fees/tariffs/surcharges to consumers, right? A 50% tax would double the fees for consumers.
The counter is that if the fee goes high enough you start raising the chance of either the fee getting so high that it causes commercial problems for the property (e.g. I can't see a fee in the $50-100 range going over well at many properties) or you alter the incentive enough to push them to roll the cost back in with the rate. It is one thing for a property to "get away with", say, $10-15/night (sadly, a lot of folks won't even notice that amid the piles of taxes) but $20-30 seems a bit less likely to slide under the radar. By the way, I'm a little surprised that we haven't seen some hotel try to take their lowest nightly rate of the last few years, knock $10 off of it, and recategorize "room rate" vs "mandatory fee" for the sake of a mix of taxes and advertising (though to be fair, doing so might actually be beyond the pale legally and/or breach some ineffable boundary of fraudulent misrepresentation [1]).

As an attached aside, I am surprised that those AGs haven't also targeted OTAs for obscuring the fees in question. A settlement requiring them to let you turn on "include resort fees" would actually go a long way on the transparency front. Even forcing one of them to buckle would probably go halfway to fixing the issue (since we'd all suddenly have somewhere to turn). TBH I'm very surprised Hotwire, in particular, doesn't roll them in to aid in disguising hidden rate hotels (very often if I know the fee I can come close to deriving the hotel from it; at the very least I can get to a shortlist that I can easily filter from there).

[1] I'm guessing that there's a difference between "$120 room sold as $110 (plus unavoidable $10 fee)" and "$120 room sold as $20 room (plus unavoidable $100 fee)". Where that line is I have no idea. At least with the airlines, you can theoretically duck most or all of the fees they tack on.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
In my humble opinion the pricing of a hotel room should be expressed as Room (and associated costs to your accommodation) + Tax where the room charge contains all fee structures.
It would be logical because the beneficiary of your fees are the same, the hotelier, and the beneficiary of your tax payment is the government (either federal or local).
Then for complete transparency all prices should be quoted as all in but with a breakdown of fees and taxes on the back end.
ExArkie and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
In my humble opinion the pricing of a hotel room should be expressed as Room (and associated costs to your accommodation) + Tax where the room charge contains all fee structures.
It would be logical because the beneficiary of your fees are the same, the hotelier, and the beneficiary of your tax payment is the government (either federal or local).
Then for complete transparency all prices should be quoted as all in but with a breakdown of fees and taxes on the back end.
I actually support the idea of including taxes as well in prices displayed. While it might not be the hotel's fault that SF has higher taxes than the East Bay, as a consumer, I'd prefer not to crunch numbers.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee

StR NYC offer without question the best resort fee value I've ever seen, and by a large margin. They let me roll the F&B credit.
I guess with an entry price of about $1200 plus $200 taxes they can afford to be a little nice with the resort fee
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I actually support the idea of including taxes as well in prices displayed. While it might not be the hotel's fault that SF has higher taxes than the East Bay, as a consumer, I'd prefer not to crunch numbers.
You can often go to an international version of the site to view final prices on the search page.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Who runs the portal for Chase? If the resort fee is included in your total isn't a breakdown of fees taxes available before purchase? You could pop over to Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia or Travelocity or even the property website if you want to know how much the resort fee is before you confirm the reservation if they truly don't list it.

James
That's good advice for those of us expecting/concerned about resort fees, but it's unlikely most users of the site are. And I think even the savviest travelers will miss something like that every once in a while - my itineraries have become more and more complex over time, and certain things just slip through the cracks.
moondog and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This thread was started because it's yet more ammo for the state ADs out there as they start to bring cases against the hotel companies. And Marriott is idiotically helping the ADs make their argument with all the obfuscation they put through with these bogus fees.

Of course, a lot of teeth gnashing would go away if Marriott considered waiving them for some of their best customers...like you know...Hyatt (cue certain posters getting steamed again, boo hoo...)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Not in my experience. Has that changed recently?

Bruce
I’ve had three resort stays in the past year at different properties and points appeared to post based on total folio charges including resort fees. (minus a fudge for taxes). Not sure if that is a recent change.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I think they're referring to the "estimated government taxes and fees", which consist of 6.5% sales tax and 6% tourist development tax for the Swan. If either one of those components changes between the booking date and the stay date they'd have to charge the guest, it seems.
They don't have to. That rate is what they owe the government. It just so happens that most businesses choose to show tax as a separate line item so the price of their product appears lower. Technically speaking, Marriott is responsible for paying that tax, regardless of what money they collect from a customer. If the rate changes, they could go the customer-friendly route and not change the customer's total payment.

Originally Posted by ozmo
The question is my mind is, why stop at $30 or $45? Make the room rate $1, and simply charge a $300 resort fee. The hotel gains a favorable listing on all the search engines, and they then only have to pay referral fees on $1. Win-win.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's basically how they do things in Las Vegas.
Somewhat, yes. It's also similar to how discount airlines offer $50 fares. As long as you don't bring any type of luggage, need a glass of water, want to select your seat, etc.

Originally Posted by X-ON
They don't need to show the tax rate at all if they want to bundle everything. As long as they pay the tax. But I think what you've outlined is how pricing will eventually be if these lawsuits are successful.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Of course, a lot of teeth gnashing would go away if Marriott considered waiving them for some of their best customers...like you know...Hyatt (cue certain posters getting steamed again, boo hoo...)
At least reducing the rate for elites would make sense, because nothing makes people angrier when traveling then having to pay for something they should be getting for free (like internet). Ultimately though, they just need to cover their costs in the base room rate rather than pass them through in a separate, somewhat hidden charge. I'd rather see this problem go away for everyone rather than just a select group.
moondog and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The idea in 2019 hotels charge for internet is absurd. Whether in a room rate or not. It to my mind is the equivalent of charging for cable television or electricity, two things that are included in the room rate.

Most hotel chains for even the lowest tier elites, or for certain room types include complimentary water bottles. In today’s world, maybe they shouldn’t and instead include a water pitcher with filter, but they do.

The idea of charging for towels at the gym or pool as part of the resort fee is a novel one.

Other amenities like bike rentals I wouldn’t object to charging guests for, this is not a standard amenity in most hotels. However, I would also imagine it is not a standard use case, and probably used by a small subset of the hotel guest population (much like the use of say borrowing sneakers from your local Westin hotel).

These resorts need to go away, and it does amaze me that this has not been a problem legally before the DC DA or AG got involved.
moondog, IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.