Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

It's so easy - just:
1) go to hotel web site
2) scroll down to near bottom of page
3) click on link
4) open PDF
5) scroll to bottom of PDF
6) get past all the large font bullets highlighting all the benefits, to finally:
7) see the $30 charge at the bottom of the page in tiny font

super super easy and transparent

(hat tip to Gary Leff)
Xeno, moondog, dgreen12 and 14 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Cant wait for our resident hotel defender to come explain to us how simple and clear this is...
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This is the stuff memes are made of. I think I'm going to fwd it to some customer loyalty talking heads to see if they want to feature it.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I hope the D.C. AG is paying attention. Looks like "Exhibit A" to me.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:51 pm

Just waiting for other states to jump on board. Ritz Carlton has lost my business and I now spend way way more per night at another resort that does add on bogus fees. This is equivalent of charging for local and long distance calls. High end hotels and resorts gave up on this long ago. Keep it up Marriott.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is this new? SPG was very upfront with the resort fee - it was right there on your confirmation document, and clear as a bell in the hotel search rate description where you could click on it to view all of the worthless crap you could be receiving. So this means Marriott is burying the existence of the resort fee into a spot a customer is unlikely to find it, then surprising them at either check-in or check-out?

Sounds like the usual Arne Sorenson garbage.

Sorry Arne, if it's not obvious and viewable in my confirmation document, I ain't paying it - I can just dispute the difference with Amex under a "charged a different amount" claim.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:16 pm

As much as I hate resort fees like everyone else, the tweet don’t really say much other than telling someone what’s included in the fee.

If the tweet was, “go search for a reservation, view the summary of properties with rates, click the property you want, select the rate, you will see the resort fee just before you reserve,” that will be gold.

Many spins available for this tweet. If it leads to more transparency, great. Elimination, even better. But I wouldn’t hold my breath this is the tweet that breaks resort fee (worldwide)

Originally Posted by Antarius
Cant wait for our resident hotel defender to come explain to us how simple and clear this is...
cant wait for our resident hotel complainer to come and explain to us how horrible this chain is... oh wait...

bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

I'm not defending resort fees in any way and I think they're BS, but it's right there in a blue box at the top of of the booking page for the Swan:

"Please note-Daily resort fee of USD 30 plus tax added to the room rate includes enhanced high-speed Internet in guest room and more."

Plus, it's listed in the summary of charges:
  • Regular Rate

RATE DETAILS
  • 1 room(s) for 1 night(s)

Prices in USD
  • Wednesday, August 14, 2019
  • Total cash rate
  • Resort Fee
  • Estimated government taxes and fees
  • Total for stay in hotel's currency
    212.63 USD

Additional Charges

On-site parking, fee: 25 USD hourly, 25 USD daily

Valet parking, fee: 35 USD daily

Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
estnet, lokijuh, tattikat2 and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I'm not defending resort fees in any way and I think they're BS, but it's right there in a blue box at the top of of the booking page for the Swan:

"Please note-Daily resort fee of USD 30 plus tax added to the room rate includes enhanced high-speed Internet in guest room and more."

Plus, it's listed in the summary of charges:
  • Regular Rate

RATE DETAILS
  • 1 room(s) for 1 night(s)

Prices in USD
  • Wednesday, August 14, 2019
  • Total cash rate
  • Resort Fee
  • Estimated government taxes and fees
  • Total for stay in hotel's currency
    212.63 USD

Additional Charges

On-site parking, fee: 25 USD hourly, 25 USD daily

Valet parking, fee: 35 USD daily

Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price.
I hope they don't seriously mean that the hotel can change the resort fee after a reservation is confirmed and the guest will be expected to pay the new (higher) resort fee? Yeah, of course *government imposed* taxes can change, but a hotel shouldn't be able to change the rate (presumably without any notice too) after a reservation has been confirmed.
BearX220, Horace, Dolphin2 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:04 pm

Unfortunately it seems like hotels can change the rules as they go along, more and more every day...
EuropeanPete, KRSW and polinka like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope they don't seriously mean that the hotel can change the resort fee after a reservation is confirmed and the guest will be expected to pay the new (higher) resort fee? Yeah, of course *government imposed* taxes can change, but a hotel shouldn't be able to change the rate (presumably without any notice too) after a reservation has been confirmed.
I think they're referring to the "estimated government taxes and fees", which consist of 6.5% sales tax and 6% tourist development tax for the Swan. If either one of those components changes between the booking date and the stay date they'd have to charge the guest, it seems.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I don’t think the problem is the disclosure of the resort fee, but trying to find out what the heck the resort fee includes! With SPG, this info was available on the booking page. I’ve not been able to find it on Marriott's website.
Tanic, cawhite, unclepants and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
As I've said elsewhere, I'm starting to wonder if we might not get to a point that the hotels would lose in a "chargeback war". There are some pretty egregious cases (where the "included benefits" either aren't included or are otherwise accounted for). The Myrtle Beach example comes to mind: Another user said that a concierge was mentioned, as was parking, but the parking was also listed while I think in some cases you could probably argue that the concierge service wasn't actually provided by a reasonable definition of "concierge service"...so at some point you cross from "sleazy extra charge" to "false advertising".

Honestly, I think one answer might be to convince local governments to tax "resort fee"/"destination fee" revenue at some egregious rate (and I said "revenue" intentionally...you're taxing the hotels' income from it, not taxing the end-user).
Tanic likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I don’t think the problem is the disclosure of the resort fee, but trying to find out what the heck the resort fee includes! With SPG, this info was available on the booking page. I’ve not been able to find it on Marriott's website.

A good guess is it includes the same things that you should have gotten as part of your elite benefits at hotels without resort fees, plus some other non-essential items like free faxes and local telephone calls, and perhaps some possible activities that many of us wouldn't care about. I have seen some benefits that approached the value of the fee for one night stays, but most of the time I don't utilize the uncommon extras.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 11, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.