Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Poor customer service from Bonvoy agents [Retitled by moderator]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor customer service from Bonvoy agents [Retitled by moderator]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
So for all the folks in this forum who decry Marriott/Bonvoy as the worst affliction to be visited on the earth since the 1300s, how many of you still stay at Marriott/Bonvoy properties?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by allleisure
Amazing how many people at Marriott know that redemption stays earn stay credit. Upon checkout you should have received a $0.00 receipt (folio). Check your email, it may be there. Alternatively, call the hotel and ask them to email your folio. Once you have that, you can file a missing stay request attaching the folio. That should take care of it. Hopefully. Once I was denied my PAG points and credit on a redemption stay and needed to direct them to the T&Cs. Then everything posted correctly. Good luck.
This is the best way. Missing stay requests using the on-line form are generally handled quickly and easily with no need to talk to anyone. I agree that talking to call centers can be frustrating and personally find that written communication almost always works better.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So for all the folks in this forum who decry Marriott/Bonvoy as the worst affliction to be visited on the earth since the 1300s, how many of you still stay at Marriott/Bonvoy properties?
Hold on there, Comcast would like a word with you.

The problem has nothing to do with race. It's about company cultures and whether or not they've decided that call centers are a value-add customer service touchpoint or just a dumping ground for unhappy customers that they don't care about anyway. I've worked with companies where a phone call is picked up immediately by a knowledgeable person empowered to solve problems. That person could be anywhere in the Anglophone world, but wherever they are they're being paid more than an entry-level script-reader, they've had lots of training about the products/services invested in them, and they're treated well enough on the job that they have a positive attitude towards their clients, the callers. Call centers can be a huge toxic workplace if there isn't a positive culture, so add that in as well: the company invests in making the environment worth working in. It's a little bit more expensive to run a good call center, staffed correctly to handle the volume of inbound calls, but some companies actually do it in India, Iowa/Nebraska (where a lot of U.S. call centers are), the UK, or elsewhere.

In fact, years ago, Marriott was one of these companies. So was Starwood. I never had a bad experience with Starwood, and didn't start having bad experiences with Marriott until the past couple of years. I was never Ambassador or anything higher than a low-end Platinum, but you didn't need 100+ nights to receive humane treatment on the phone.
BearX220 and Newman like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
FWIW both of my recent requests for missing nights/ points etc were handled by this email ( who replied when I used the old Research email address).

[email protected]

In each of my last 2 cases they were resolved within an hour of the email ( 20-30 minutes for the last one), with email confirmation of the resolution. Easy, stress free and reliable. No frustration involved.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
The bonvoy lurker sorted me out. As expected it was a very simple issue made complicated by incompetent call center staff. Thank you so much Bonvoy Lurker!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:56 am

Can a mod change the bigoted thread title? Clearly the OP did not have trouble getting an agent who spoke english.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Why do you feel the need to write that associate’s name between quotation marks? Do you always write other people’s names like that or is there something about his person that you feel allows you to refer condescendingly to the way his name sounds to you?
Many call center staff (encouraged by management?) adopt a fake name to give to customers. It can be a matter of overseas staff using names that appear to not be located overseas (so a name in a foreign language becomes some common American nickname), it can make the name easier to pronounce for those who don't speak the local language (and less painful for the staff member to constantly be subjected to butchering of their own name), or it can simply be a device to make it harder to trace who said what and take responsibility for their interactions with customers which is a key component of their job.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many call center staff (encouraged by management?) adopt a fake name to give to customers. It can be a matter of overseas staff using names that appear to not be located overseas (so a name in a foreign language becomes some common American nickname), it can make the name easier to pronounce for those who don't speak the local language (and less painful for the staff member to constantly be subjected to butchering of their own name), or it can simply be a device to make it harder to trace who said what and take responsibility for their interactions with customers which is a key component of their job.
I could imagine the quotation marks if his name was Charlie or Mark, but it was Jaspreet...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I could imagine the quotation marks if his name was Charlie or Mark, but it was Jaspreet...
For companies that use Iowa call centers to handle their English-language traffic, do the call center reps take on nicknames when the inbound call is from India or elsewhere in English-speaking Asia?

It would be kind of amusing if there's a real-life Mark who is occasionally Jaspreet on the phone.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Honestly guys, there's more than a little latent racism on this thread which I think is really uncomfortable.
feigning outrage to appear politically correct is such an obvious tactic and frankly the use of the term "racism" is getting out of hand. can one not talk about the differences in cultures across the world without being called racist? every society has its quirks and idiosyncrasies including mine or ours or whoevers. talking about them is not being racist. denying someone a job or a house because of the color of their skin is racist.
Newman, thomas199023 and seat38a like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Why do you feel the need to write that associate’s name between quotation marks?
Perhaps quotation marks because he was quoting from a written communication?
Newman likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
How to get a Bonvoy agent that speaks English on the phone?
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I called several times about a night credit not posting.
What language did you speak on these calls?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by BenSenise
feigning outrage to appear politically correct is such an obvious tactic and frankly the use of the term "racism" is getting out of hand. can one not talk about the differences in cultures across the world without being called racist? every society has its quirks and idiosyncrasies including mine or ours or whoevers. talking about them is not being racist. denying someone a job or a house because of the color of their skin is racist.
My mother always told me not to fight in the mud with pigs as you’re never going to come out clean, but to be clear people were not just “talking” about Indians.

Firstly there was the assumption that of all Marriott call centres in the world with problems, the reason the Indian one is bad is because it’s staffed by Indians. Apparently not because of Marriott which is the cause in the rest of the world. Secondly, there was the suggestion that Indians just can’t do call centres “culturally” which first of all is a misunderstanding of how culture works in business and secondly is flawed because India is obviously and by some distance the world’s most successful call centre operator (you will come into less contact with them in the US than those of us in Europe and Asia because of timezone and maybe because of racism like here). Lastly there’s the suggestion that Indians in call centres can’t speak English. Not sure how many call centres in India someone making the claim would have visited or even come into contact with, but English is not just some random foreign language in India, at least not in corporate environments in Bangalore, Hyderabad and elsewhere where most call centres are based.

It is not being “politically correct” to call people out on abhorrent racist and ignorant comments. I’m not part of some left-wing no platform brigade, I just don’t like stupid racism.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

My mother always told me not to fight in the mud with pigs as you’re never going to come out clean, but to be clear people were not just “talking” about Indians.

Firstly there was the assumption that of all Marriott call centres in the world with problems, the reason the Indian one is bad is because it’s staffed by Indians. Apparently not because of Marriott which is the cause in the rest of the world. Secondly, there was the suggestion that Indians just can’t do call centres “culturally” which first of all is a misunderstanding of how culture works in business and secondly is flawed because India is obviously and by some distance the world’s most successful call centre operator (you will come into less contact with them in the US than those of us in Europe and Asia because of timezone and maybe because of racism like here). Lastly there’s the suggestion that Indians in call centres can’t speak English. Not sure how many call centres in India someone making the claim would have visited or even come into contact with, but English is not just some random foreign language in India, at least not in corporate environments in Bangalore, Hyderabad and elsewhere where most call centres are based.

It is not being “politically correct” to call people out on abhorrent racist and ignorant comments. I’m not part of some left-wing no platform brigade, I just don’t like stupid racism.

You may say that you're not part of some left-wing "no platform brigade", but you certainly sound like it.
Throwing the word "racism" around and accusing people of being racists for expressing frustration in dealing with overseas call centers makes you arrogant. Also intolerant of the opinions of others.
Stop the name-calling antics.
Learn to express yourself without harping on what you perceive as someone else's non-existent ulterior motive.
This is a travel website. Not a political one. Members here should be free to express their opinions respectfully, and unhindered by crossing your imaginary line of political correctness.

PS. There was nothing abhorrent, racist, or ignorant about anything in the OP's post.

Newman
seat38a likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
I agree with European Pete here.

I detest the casual, and seemingly incessant, use of the word "racist" lately. I have a unnaturally strong aversion to the worldview of those who engage in that behaviour, having grown up in a place where their ideological comrades destroyed many lives on both sides of my family. Nothing European Pete has written so far falls under that category IMHO.

I also have a heightened sensitivity to actual racist attitudes. My wife is non-white, and our children are mixed-race. A couple of years ago she fell and slid clumsily into someone at an ice skating rink, upon which she was told to "get some North-American manners". I've never been so mad in my entire life, and it's a miracle that I somehow managed to keep it PG-13 in an arena packed with children. I wish I could say that nothing OP has written brought back memories of that.

It's hard to read OP's post charitably, which one must always try to do, given the title OP himself chose for the thread. This isn't some NYT editor slapping the callous "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" title on Mitt Romney's informed and reasoned op-ed about a decade ago.

Victim he ain't.
Fizzer and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.