Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Poor customer service from Bonvoy agents [Retitled by moderator]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor customer service from Bonvoy agents [Retitled by moderator]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Lastly there’s the suggestion that Indians in call centres can’t speak English. Not sure how many call centres in India someone making the claim would have visited or even come into contact with, but English is not just some random foreign language in India, at least not in corporate environments in Bangalore, Hyderabad and elsewhere where most call centres are based.
Not to mention that English is one of the two languages the Indian Federal government does business in, and the preferred business language of almost the entire south. The way Americans talk about the English language you'd think they were under the impression that they had invented it.

Originally Posted by Newman
This is a travel website. Not a political one. Members here should be free to express their opinions respectfully, and unhindered by crossing your imaginary line of political correctness.
I agree that people should be able to speak respectfully. Posters should be able to identify racist behavior as racist without being descended upon by the right-wing political correctness police. False accusations of an inability to speak English should be labeled as false.

Which is to stay that we're still waiting on an answer for:

Originally Posted by CPRich
What language did you speak on these calls?
EuropeanPete and altabello like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:03 pm

PS. There was nothing abhorrent, racist, or ignorant about anything in the OP's post.

Newman
LOL
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Call center quality has far more to do with oversight of contractors (or management if one of the few remaining in house call centers, even most domestic call centers are outsourced), the goals given by the company to the call center, and how much you pay for the call center than location or anything else.
I have gotten amazing service from individuals with fairly obvious accents and totally crap service from clearly american call center workers. Generally if you can get an actual employee of the company -- remembering that even a lot of domestic call center employees are outsourced -- you will have the best luck, which has little to do with nationality.
EuropeanPete and altabello like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
PS. There was nothing abhorrent, racist, or ignorant about anything in the OP's post.
The problem is that the call center the OP spoke with *was* actually speaking English. OP didn't like the answers he was getting, perhaps because Marriott's call centers often suck for Marriott reasons, and immediately went to the fact that the call center reps were Indian. He even points out in the post that his problem is with being passed from Indian to Indian.

The "speak English!" bit is a super old, tired, common racist trope, often used with people who are, in fact, speaking English - either as a 2nd language or just with the accent of a non-white region like India.

I've worked in Hyderabad. Most of our people there speak excellent English, but a few of them are hard to understand or don't pick up on all of the idioms and slang of our particular industry. Whenever I run into this, I remind myself that this person likely knows 3 languages, which is a solid 1.5 more than I do if I give myself very generous credit for some rudimentary Spanish. He/she can function in my business world, whereas I'd have zero hope whatsoever of functioning in his, or any other non-English environment in the world.
EuropeanPete and Watkin like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I am generally right wing politically but also noticed the casual racist undertone in the original post. I agree that the accusation of racism is made too lightly by many who are easily offended but in this case I feel that the observation was accurate and calling it was justified.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Not to mention that English is one of the two languages the Indian Federal government does business in, and the preferred business language of almost the entire south. :
Oh come on. While this is true on paper, I would check with any English speaker who has been to India on how that worked out for them in practice on the ground.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
The problem is that the call center the OP spoke with *was* actually speaking English. OP didn't like the answers he was getting, perhaps because Marriott's call centers often suck for Marriott reasons, and immediately went to the fact that the call center reps were Indian. He even points out in the post that his problem is with being passed from Indian to Indian.

The "speak English!" bit is a super old, tired, common racist trope, often used with people who are, in fact, speaking English - either as a 2nd language or just with the accent of a non-white region like India.

I've worked in Hyderabad. Most of our people there speak excellent English, but a few of them are hard to understand or don't pick up on all of the idioms and slang of our particular industry. Whenever I run into this, I remind myself that this person likely knows 3 languages, which is a solid 1.5 more than I do if I give myself very generous credit for some rudimentary Spanish. He/she can function in my business world, whereas I'd have zero hope whatsoever of functioning in his, or any other non-English environment in the world.
No, the guy actually DID NOT understand what I was asking for, which led to so much time being wasted, hence my complaint about his substandard comprehension of the English language. Can people ever NOT cry racism?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmpls
Call center quality has far more to do with oversight of contractors (or management if one of the few remaining in house call centers, even most domestic call centers are outsourced), the goals given by the company to the call center, and how much you pay for the call center than location or anything else.
I have gotten amazing service from individuals with fairly obvious accents and totally crap service from clearly american call center workers. Generally if you can get an actual employee of the company -- remembering that even a lot of domestic call center employees are outsourced -- you will have the best luck, which has little to do with nationality.
I can safely say that has never been the case for me with Marriott, AA or any other business. The offshore call center is almost always 10x more hassle than the service you get when you get an America-based operator on the phone. Sorry if this is somehow controversial, but when calling a customer service line, operators who are ESL invariably provide lesser service than native speakers. They might be nice and well intentioned, but it's never (in my experience) as efficient.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Clearly Americans are the best at answering telephones of anyone in the WORLD.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Oh come on. While this is true on paper, I would check with any English speaker who has been to India on how that worked out for them in practice on the ground.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. As someone who was formerly an Indian citizen, I both speak English and have spent quite a bit of time on the ground in India. American English and Indian English are both dialects of the English language.

I also note that you didn't answer the question:

Originally Posted by CPRich
What language did you speak on these calls?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. As someone who was formerly an Indian citizen, I both speak English and have spent quite a bit of time on the ground in India. American English and Indian English are both dialects of the English language.

I also note that you didn't answer the question:
I think it's pretty clear that the answer to your Q is English. Based on my experiences in India, while many Indians "speak" English, it is with very limited proficiency. Are you suggesting that the English proficiency of the operators staffing offshore call centers is equal to that of the native speakers in the American centers?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Clearly Americans are the best at answering telephones of anyone in the WORLD.
When it's an American calling in, I would say so. I imagine the same is true for any other nationality. It's an easier customer service experience when you are speaking to another native speaker of your language from your country. Is it not?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not sure why this topic is still going on, as noted Bonvoy lurker sorted my very simple issue out in no time. It's been resolved.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
or it can simply be a device to make it harder to trace who said what and take responsibility for their interactions with customers which is a key component of their job.
what
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
When it's an American calling in, I would say so. I imagine the same is true for any other nationality. It's an easier customer service experience when you are speaking to another native speaker of your language from your country. Is it not?
Let’s stay on topic with Marriott. I can’t help noticing that anyone who needs their travel package changed is advised on here to call the UK help desk, and as an Ambassador customer I try to call during the times staffed by what appear to be Japanese Ambassadors as they are the most competent. In conclusion I would say no, I don’t believe someone’s citizenship plays a large part in the customer service they are proving, and I don’t believe that there is a great nativist advantage that exists from working with suppliers who were born in the same country as you.
Kacee and rny321 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.