Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Poor customer service from Bonvoy agents [Retitled by moderator]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor customer service from Bonvoy agents [Retitled by moderator]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I think it's pretty clear that the answer to your Q is English. Based on my experiences in India, while many Indians "speak" English, it is with very limited proficiency. Are you suggesting that the English proficiency of the operators staffing offshore call centers is equal to that of the native speakers in the American centers?
Thank you for confirming that you did speak to the call center representatives in English. [Edit: I see that the thread has been re-titled appropriately]. I am confused by your use of quotation marks around the word "speak."

Both countries teach English in primary and secondary school. I think the real question is why you consider a native speaker of American English to have more "English proficiency" than a native speaker of Indian English.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Jul 16, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Oh come on. While this is true on paper, I would check with any English speaker who has been to India on how that worked out for them in practice on the ground.
I'm a native English speaker (American). I've been to India. No problems understanding or being understood.

The offshore call center is almost always 10x more hassle than the service you get when you get an America-based operator on the phone. Sorry if this is somehow controversial, but when calling a customer service line, operators who are ESL invariably provide lesser service than native speakers. They might be nice and well intentioned, but it's never (in my experience) as efficient.
Not true in my case. The Microsoft support call center in the Philippines is great. I've spent hours on the phone with them as they walked me through diagnosing and fixing various problems which have come up over the years. Again, no problems understanding or being understood.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:36 pm

I do have to say sometimes the problem is that over VOIP calls, which most of these are, it’s sometimes hard to understand. I have colleagues in various countries including India, where it’s easy to understand when we are in a conference room together but I really need to listen in on conference calls or phone calls. Plus, its not that one region’s English is better, it’s what we are familiar with. If I can’t understand the call center rep, I thank them and call back hoping for someone else.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Clearly Americans are the best at answering telephones of anyone in the WORLD.
You definitely need to run this through one of those Trump Tweet generators.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by pinniped
You definitely need to run this through one of those Trump Tweet generators.
Now there's a hotel chain that may (or may not) fulfill OP's linguistic needs.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Let’s stay on topic with Marriott. I can’t help noticing that anyone who needs their travel package changed is advised on here to call the UK help desk, and as an Ambassador customer I try to call during the times staffed by what appear to be Japanese Ambassadors as they are the most competent. In conclusion I would say no, I don’t believe someone’s citizenship plays a large part in the customer service they are proving, and I don’t believe that there is a great nativist advantage that exists from working with suppliers who were born in the same country as you.

I agree with others that the degree of competence and courtesy displayed by call center representatives is mostly a reflection of their training and the attitude of management and not national origin.

Although reaching the most knowledgeable agents is normally the best scenario, it can occasionally be beneficial to find someone who is willing to do things that others know isn't corporate policy. The primary appeal of the "UK" call center was that it allowed conversions to higher categories of travel certificates long after US representatives had been told not to do so. The reason I used parenthesis for the UK is that based on the dialing codes, the suggested contact number appears to be located in Cork, Ireland.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 18, 2019 at 2:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.