Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Aegon, Autograph Collection - Mykonos, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

The Aegon, Autograph Collection - Mykonos, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mfirst
Ok, I really dont have any skin in this topic - unlikely that I will ever go there even if I do go to Greece - but
at this point what would it take to actually convince people that this is a reasonable place to stay?

or, at this point, is there zero option for service recovery and damage control?
Personally, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that some of the reported issues were either related to opening and/or lack of training, which could all be corrected.

With that being said, the ongoing issues with approved SNAs not being handled properly (and the ensuing conversations with staff about the problem), comments about strange little things like filtered coffee being limited to "1 free cup" , and the continuously sketchy positive reviews being posted on TA are what keep me wondering if things are improving or not.
wrp96 and jona970318 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Another cancellation

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I just cancelled my upcoming stay here.

Can't be bothered to deal with a property with poor front desk management/greedy owners.

I was able to switch my cancelled A3 ZRH-JMK nonstop over to an A3/OA ZRH-ATH-JNX connection and I feel better already.

A lower-key couple weeks to be sure.
I will be in Mykonos in September. I was going to book Aegon. Then I saw the reviews. Staying at Theoxenia instead.
estnet and renila like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ysbyvr
Personally, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that some of the reported issues were either related to opening and/or lack of training
You mean like posting photoshopped pics on their website?

This indicates an ethical problem, and that's a no go for me, as that kind of ethical laxity often infuses the entire operation.
TerryK, estnet, renila and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:47 pm
FT

Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean like posting photoshopped pics on their website?

This indicates an ethical problem, and that's a no go for me, as that kind of ethical laxity often infuses the entire operation.
While I 100% agree with you on this, I wouldn't be surprised if many other properties up and down the brand and across various hotel companies don't do this with the question being where is the line. All pics are Photoshopped, some just more than others.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FT
While I 100% agree with you on this, I wouldn't be surprised if many other properties up and down the brand and across various hotel companies don't do this with the question being where is the line. All pics are Photoshopped, some just more than others.
I think the question is whether the photos have been altered to the point that they are deliberately and materially misleading. Some color enhancement? Sure, no big deal. But the photoshopped pics of the pool and beach that this property posted were in my view clearly over the line.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the question is whether the photos have been altered to the point that they are deliberately and materially misleading. Some color enhancement? Sure, no big deal. But the photoshopped pics of the pool and beach that this property posted were in my view clearly over the line.
And the property reportedly said the power lines were installed after the photo was taken . Should have just kept their mouths shut.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Gold, LH Senator
I just finished a 7-night stay on points at the Aegon Mykonos and wanted to share my experience. I’ll start with a few positives in an effort to write a “balanced” review because there were so many issues that I observed and experienced at this hotel which ranged from bizarre to just shocking.

I was assigned a Horizon View room at the Retreat complex, which is ~300 meters uphill from the Revive complex and is the newer of the two. The room itself was quite nice but unfortunately there wasn’t much of a sea view due to tall grass growing on the property in front of the complex. The reception area and other common areas were also quite nice. The pool area had several lounge chairs with umbrellas as well as three cabanas, two of which are covered and had electrical outlets. One important thing to be aware of is that the floor/surface is very slippery and I saw several people slip and fall during my stay. So if you decide to stay at this property, please be careful! For anyone wanting to go for a workout, a small gym was available and could be accessed by walking down a flight of stairs near the reception area. The property and grounds were generally well-maintained and was superior to the Revive complex in my opinion since there was no sewage smell or power lines, parking lot and garbage bins observable from the pool area (as described in detail by Lucky at OMAAT). Overall, I would give the “hard product” at the Retreat an 8 out of 10.

Now shifting to the “soft product”, which includes the service and amenities. It is difficult to decide where to even start. Most of the staff did not wear uniforms and none of them had name tags so it was difficult to tell who was a guest, manager, server, bartender, cleaner, etc. Staff were poorly trained and most seemed unconcerned about addressing the needs or requests of guests. During breakfast, I observed staff arguing with each other, guests not being seated or even acknowledged, very slow service (20 min to get a coffee) and general confusion whenever a guest ordered something. The buffet food options were limited and very disappointing. For example, there were no fruit options and guests were restricted to one small glass of orange juice and one coffee (anything more incurred an extra charge). Poached or scrambled eggs could be ordered a-la-carte but many guests were unaware of this was since no breakfast menus were provided.

At the pool, beach towels were not proactively brought to the guests and when I requested more than two at a time, I was immediately questioned why I needed so many. On one of the days, no towels were available due to a “laundry issue” and rather than apologize, the same staff member I spoke to simply shrugged his shoulders and claimed he was “new” and didn’t know anything more. From then on, we resorted to using towels from our room.

Food options for lunch or dinner were also very disappointing since most of the menu items were unavailable. The Retreat complex apparently uses the same menu as the Revive complex, which is where the Delos restaurant is located. This made no sense because the Retreat complex was only able to offer calamari, fries, and burgers. There were also only two copies of the menu available for guests. Regarding the cocktails, I’m not sure what the quality or availability were but at 20 EUR each, I wasn’t too keen to find out anyways.

Several times during my stay there was a woman with dark hair who would stop by the pool area and start yelling at various staff members or to whoever she was speaking to on the phone. One evening, she also brought a pair of French bulldogs and a large entourage of people for drinks, which I later learned were her family and friends. I confirmed this with one of the staff members and also learned that her husband owns the hotel and that they live at the Revive complex. I assume she was the “unhinged” woman that Lucky at OMAAT encountered during his brief stay. I would also characterize her as having “negative energy” considering how uncomfortable staff (and guests) would become whenever she made an appearance. It turns out that ~40% of the staff have quit since the beginning of the season and that is not surprising given her behavior and demeanor.

I could write a lengthy essay about all the other service mishaps I observed but I’ll spare you the details and simply state that I would give the “soft product” a 2 out of 10 and if it were not for two well-intentioned and hard-working staff members and housekeeping team, I would give it a zero. I will conclude my review by recommending you avoid this property unless you’re prepared to spend the majority of your time off-site and only returning in the evenings to sleep and to have a light breakfast. Do note however, that there is a rooster living on the property in front of the complex so I would suggest you bring some good earplugs. As a final tip (or word of warning), I would highly recommend renting a car since there are several decent restaurants, bakeries, and grocery stores in the area. Otherwise, you may go hungry unless you’re willing to pay ridiculously high prices for the limited food options. I hope this review was helpful and look forward to reading about the experiences of other Flyertalk members at this property.
TerryK, estnet, renila and 19 others like this.

Last edited by jvasiles; Aug 14, 2021 at 11:17 pm
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by jvasiles
I just finished a 7-night stay on points at the Aegon Mykonos and wanted to share my experience..
Welcome to FT and thanks for the review!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jvasiles
I could write a lengthy essay about all the other service mishaps I observed but I’ll spare you the details and simply state that I would give the “soft product” a 2 out of 10 and if it were not for two well-intentioned and hard-working staff members and housekeeping team, I would give it a zero. I will conclude my review by recommending you avoid this property unless you’re prepared to spend the majority of your time off-site and only returning in the evenings to sleep and to have a light breakfast. Do note however, that there is a rooster living on the property in front of the complex so I would suggest you bring some good earplugs. As a final tip (or word of warning), I would highly recommend renting a car since there are several decent restaurants, bakeries, and grocery stores in the area. Otherwise, you may go hungry unless you’re willing to pay ridiculously high prices for the limited food options. I hope this review was helpful and look forward to reading about the experiences of other Flyertalk members at this property.
Thank you for the entertaining description! Can't imagine spending 7 nights here. I bet the rooster was the one who wrote the fake TripAdvisor reviews.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This place seems like a hard write-off
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Hey all – just completed a 2 night stay here and thought I’d share my review.

Background: I’ve also been following this thread with interest since OMAAT’s incident(s)… I had a reservation (Points + Cash) booked, so I cancelled. Then, about a month ago, I saw a points redemption (50K x 2) was available, so I booked again, and applied two SNA’s. The goal was to save 1000 euros and I figured I had nothing to lose, wanted to see how pathetic (or good) the hotel was, and I was switching to the Rochari in town for 7 days after this stay anyway. I am not affiliated with the hotel and this is an honest review.

Summary: The SNA’s cleared into a REVIVE Aqua Suite, which I actually really enjoyed. In the end, I had a good stay. There were a few issues (see below), but this was a solid redemption given the room retailed for 1300 euros a night the following week (and is in no way worth that). I would possibly redeem here again; I enjoyed it, even with all the laughable CONS below (I'm Aussie, and don't let things get to me too much)...

PROS:

· It’s a nice location to park yourself for a couple of days. I’m not sure about a week but I enjoyed being in a new part of the island (but as I mentioned, I was moving to Town anyway)

· The A/C is silent, and some of the best I’ve experienced in Mykonos.

· The bed is phenomenal, again one of the comfiest in Mykonos.

· The private (cool) tub was PHENOMENAL. I spent most of my days there and it was refreshing and fun.

· The restaurant for dinner was tasty.

· The soundproofing on the rooms is excellent.

· Great products, shower, bathroom, and the room décor (the entire hotel décor) is really clean and pleasing.

· The hotel is virtually beachfront. I know folks have reported you cross a parking lot etc but it’s so close it’s not funny. The pool is beautiful.
+ Breakfast was really really good. Weird service and coffee thing, but the buffet was excellent. There are breakfast menus on every table (and hand sanitizer) at Revive.

CONS:

· The sewerage smell, as reported, is real and strong. This was really disappointing. I went running in the area both days and the smell is really just confined to the Aegon (Revive) area. Retreat should be fine. It’s a real shame.

· The location may not be for some.

· Some of the service elements were sloppy (as noted above). Check-In, Taxi Transfers, etc. I had to wait 20-30 mins at the airport for the ‘complimentary transfer’, while most of my flight had already received theirs. Not a big deal, but a bit frustrating. Not all staff are observing COVID protocols, either.

· On that note, I was called on the final night for a transfer booking. I was moving to another hotel, which the caller said was ‘illegal in Greece’ (to transfer hotel to hotel). I kinda laughed and hung up and went to the front desk to confirm. One of the staff members proudly (almost excitedly) told me it was “illegal” and indeed it is not possible. (This was a dark haired lady too, possibly the 'unhinged' dragon). If that’s the rule, I’m ok (anyone know?), but the way they enjoyed it was very bizarre. I wanted to ask for the statute/Greek Constitution reference for this, but in the end I just got a private transfer/taxi. On a side note, this lady is so rude it's almost comical and some of you will want to meet her just to believe she's real (or to take her on?!)

· Drink prices are high.

· The powerlines are there; however this didn’t bother me at all.

· No pro-active towel service…every time I ordered a drink I felt like I was imposing. This isn’t just “Greek service”; I’ve stayed at several other properties on the island who get this right. Do better.
Photos:

The great pool tub.

from the pool

Nearby Kalo Livadi beach

from the beach looking back

Last edited by seanp7; Aug 16, 2021 at 9:58 am
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
hoping my SNA's clear for that room!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Based on what I’ve seen and read in this thread, I’m still convinced that the Sheraton in Rhodes would be a better choice even if they have a pebble beach.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALMSP
hoping my SNA's clear for that room!
Pretty sure that is the room we were in, and it is great, hopefully the tub is working if you get it. :-)
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Pretty sure that is the room we were in, and it is great, hopefully the tub is working if you get it. :-)
Good point - the tub for the room next to mine was out of order with maintenance trying to fix it both days I was there. That could impact SNA’s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.