Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know when the sweep for LTPP will be happening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Current Status of the Grandfathering Sweep to Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite / Lifetime Titanium Elite

As of 1/26 Members are reporting a SWEEP HAS OCCURRED LTPPE/LTitaniumE. Some have reported discrepancies between app and website still.
A sweep has also occurred of LTP qualifying from previous LTG on legacy rules.

Request: Please DO NOT post asking if the above has occurred or advising all of us that nothing has changed. Please continue reading this wiki for updates.

If you have legitimately been swept and your website account shows that you have truly been grandfathered to Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, then yes please do add a post with this information with useful details for others and this wiki will then be updated accordingly with your information.
Print Wikipost

Does anyone know when the sweep for LTPP will be happening?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:42 pm

Mine showed up yesterday -- I'm Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite.

Over 1000 nights and over 2,000,000 points.

I was worried because I thought my over 100,000 SPG points would count, but in July found out they didn't count. I was lucky and got to stay for work at the JW in Dubai.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
My sweep happened.....finally. LTPPE. 1070 Nights; 13 Years Plat. Interesting that they did not send an email or notification to the app that it had been done.
Oh well, at least it happened.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by ceber
Marriott made such a big deal, you will be notified sometime in Jan, and then they update the status and don’t tell anybody anything? No congratulations thanks for being a customer? Silence. Strange. Hopefully I will get my very fancy Bonvoy Luggage tags (sure)
It may be that something's coming soon, or it may be that there's significance to the fact that no notifications have yet been made? What if they run a sweep to add 2018 credit(s) and also at the same time claw back inadvertent linked account years (potentially resulting in a break-even or net-negative)? I don't think anyone with less than, say, 14 years (myself included) should consider themselves to have been granted LTPP until some sort of formal notification via e-mail or snail mail has been received.

What can I say? My glass is always half empty like that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also just swept to LTPPE with 992 nights & 14 years Platinum. Funny thing though...I was at 1,002 nights (screenshots saved) but my last few stays seem to have my count going DOWN! Hope I don't stay my way out of lifetime status.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
LTPP. Surprised it actually happened in Jan.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
It may be that something's coming soon, or it may be that there's significance to the fact that no notifications have yet been made? What if they run a sweep to add 2018 credit(s) and also at the same time claw back inadvertent linked account years (potentially resulting in a break-even or net-negative)? I don't think anyone with less than, say, 14 years (myself included) should consider themselves to have been granted LTPP until some sort of formal notification via e-mail or snail mail has been received.

What can I say? My glass is always half empty like that.
Great. I guess many folks on FT have a lot of confidence in Marriott IT to subtract the unfairly double counted years and add last year back so it’s fair, fair, and fair. (Just to clarify. I have 10 real years so it doesn’t affect me.)

I, for one, don’t have any confidence in Marriott IT. I think they should just add last year’s status without touching anything else. Those folks who think they have double counted years should submit a ticket and get those years subtracted. Where am I going wrong here?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
At 752 nights (750 as of 12/31/18) combined between SPG and Marriott, 10 years of platinum, and 2.2M points. Showing LTPP on both website and mobile. Made it just in time!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by naumank
Where am I going wrong here?
Please don't think for a second that I'm advocating for any kind of claw-back! But as FTers continue to post about wildly inflated year counts, the more I think waiting to see some kind of formal notification in my inbox or mailbox is prudent. And hopefully that will be taking place in short order...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's crazy. 19 years of 75-plus nights per year? Wow. To think, some of the people who started as rookie hotel employees when you first achieved platinum are nearing retirement in the next five or so years.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
More likely overlapping years with Marriott and SPG. Remember with SPG you could get Plat with 50 nights, or even 25 stays.

I’ll bet when I combine my accounts, I’ll have 16 yrs of Plat status even though I never earned status with Marriott. I just realized however that I did have comp Gold status with Marriott thanks to my UA 1K status. That must be why I have 5 yrs of Plat status with Marriott.

Exactly how I achieved 19 years Plat. I believe Marriott counted the overlapping years after acquiring SPG and double counted SPG Plat and MR Plat in the same year as 2 years Plat. I should have about 15 years SPG Plat,back when 25 stays earned Plat.
The full stats are even more impressive
Years as Silver, Gold or Platinum: 39
Years as Gold or Platinum: 23
Years as Platinum: 19
I'm not sure when MR program even started, but I did not join any program in 1979.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Exactly how I achieved 19 years Plat. I believe Marriott counted the overlapping years after acquiring SPG and double counted SPG Plat and MR Plat in the same year as 2 years Plat.
In the worst-case scenario, it could be worse than even just that. I believe that account linking became a thing in 2017, no? If I'm correct there (pretty sure that's when I did it), then imagine that someone with linked accounts stayed 50 nights at either Marriott or SPG in calendar year 2017. This member earned Plat for 2017 and also for 2018 - in both programs. Did that perhaps wind up being counted as four years, even if zero nights were stayed in either Marriott or SPG in 2018?? It seems improbable, but then again so many FTers are reporting inflations of their year counts in excess of even those extra three, so...

Edit: Other explanations include that they simply forgot they'd signed up for RewardsPlus and maintained minimally Gold or had LT status with UA - that sort of thing.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
In the worst-case scenario, it could be worse than even just that. I believe that account linking became a thing in 2017, no? If I'm correct there (pretty sure that's when I did it), then imagine that someone with linked accounts stayed 50 nights at either Marriott or SPG in calendar year 2017. This member earned Plat for 2017 and also for 2018 - in both programs. Did that perhaps wind up being counted as four years, even if zero nights were stayed in either Marriott or SPG in 2018?? It seems improbable, but then again so many FTers are reporting inflations of their year counts in excess of even those extra three, so...

Edit: Other explanations include that they simply forgot they'd signed up for RewardsPlus and maintained minimally Gold or had LT status with UA - that sort of thing.
Yes, when the accounts are linked, qualifying for SPG Plat with minimal MR stays will still net 4 years Plat in the those 2 years. My MR Gold years were from UA status.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:15 pm

My biggest concern is Marriott IT can’t do math correctly. Overcounting doesn’t really do much harm to anyone but incorrect math in clawback could potentially harm people who have really achieved the LT level. I think everyone should be concerned about such possibility.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:29 pm

Overcounting doesn’t really do much harm to anyone
There's an elephant sitting in the room but I've been hesitant to acknowledge it outright. It's basically this: If 2018 was already counted (potentially erroneously twice) as of Aug '18 and members went out of their way to earn Plat in 2018 expecting to add a year to their tally and in doing so breach some threshold, then said/purely hypothetical over counting would indeed be problematic - particularly for thresholds that can no longer be breached.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:11 pm

There's an elephant sitting in the room but I've been hesitant to acknowledge it outright. It's basically this: If 2018 was already counted (potentially erroneously twice) as of Aug '18 and members went out of their way to earn Plat in 2018 expecting to add a year to their tally and in doing so breach some threshold, then said/purely hypothetical over counting would indeed be problematic - particularly for thresholds that can no longer be breached.
Yes. In fact, if the member did so by relying on the supposedly correct LTY counter (according to status.marriott.com), then their mattress runs could all be for nothing if Marriott indeed decides to claw back. Although I'm not in this league, I think it's one more reason Marriott doesn't claw back.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:36 pm

Yes. In fact, if the member did so by relying on the supposedly correct LTY counter (according to status.marriott.com), then their mattress runs could all be for nothing if Marriott indeed decides to claw back.
Or even if they don't claw back I guess is my point; simply they don't increment 2018 because it had already been counted once or twice when the years counter went up. It's just one of many possibilities to explain inflated year counts, but it would also offer one possible explanation as to why the LTTP sweep was executed when some folks were expecting a year bump prior to their doing so.

And then again it could simply be that there are multiple teams working not in perfect harmony, and so a 2018 sweep has yet to occur which will indeed bump years, and then another LTPP/LTTE sweep will simply be necessary (not likely a huge undertaking at the end of the day, and I don't think necessarily an unprecedented approach for Marriott IT).
naumank likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.