Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by CMK10
FWIW it was a really good omelet.
My DD does not disagree.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:00 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Had a wonderful stay here on points. Hotel was pretty full but somehow was upgraded to a suite (even though SNAs didn't clear). Beach was one of the best on the big island, and we liked it better than Kaanapali and Waikiki. Breakfast was one of the highlights - included fruit plate, granola/yogurt parfait, pastries, coffee/tea, oatmeal, and cereal. They did let you add on an omelet, waffles, or eggs for $14. The continental was pretty filling and high quality so we didn't feel a need to do the upgrade, but we did try the omelet one day and it was pretty good.

As far as the restaurants, we ate at Meridia, it was a bit overpriced and food was okay., but the sunset views were amazing. We also were able to get a last minute reservation at Manta next door. They let you charge the bill back to your room, which was nice for earning points. Next time we go, we will probably skip Manta and just go to Copperbar which is also at the same hotel. You can still go down and see the manta rays, and it felt like there was more availability there.

Overall, great trip, I highly recommend this hotel.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Confirming that the daily resort charge is $37++ (or $32++ if you ask to be credited for the internet one gets for being elite) and $30++ for self parking?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: Accor Platnium, Delta Platnium, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I booked the base room (partial ocean view king) on points for 50k per night. I had applied SNA’s for various options including some suites but the request was ultimately rejected the day before arrival. When checking online I only saw base level rooms available for sale so I was quite happily surprised the next day to see the app say I was assigned to a Premier Ocean Suite, 1 King, High Floor Ocean View. At check in I was given a suite on the 9th (top floor) which did indeed have views (if not distant) of the ocean over the top of residences (no construction evident).

The room was nice with a large bathroom, sitting room, eating area with a full set of dishes and a large separate bedroom. The balcony had a hightop table with seating as well as a chaise lounge to enjoy the sound of waves and nice breeze.

The resort fee ($37) included all the usual uselessness but there were reusable aluminum bottles in the room as well as nice filling stations all over. I was not charged a self-parking fee here using the garage to come and go with my room key which was a nice surprise. They also sent a nice fruit / snack basket for my birthday which I appreciated. I chose the breakfast option and this hotel probably delivered the “most” on that front (of Marriott properties) I stayed at on this trip. There was a large set plate of fruit and another of mini pastries (at least 6 as opposed to 2 at Sheraton Waikiki) and then you could also add another item like cereal or oatmeal for free which I never ordered as the fruit and pastries were more than enough. I did find it amusing they still refer to it as “Oh, you have SPG breakfast” LOL, if only.

The highlight of this hotel though is the beach. I had the pick of chairs at 9am on a Saturday and really enjoyed the scenery (from my shaded spot) and fairly calm waters here. The family pool was huge and mostly empty in the evenings when I would return from hikes and other activities off site.

I took the shuttle to MK for dinner one night and probably wouldn't do that again. The waiting and cramped van ride just weren't fun and the end result (similar food & view) wasn't worth the effort in my mind.

While this hotel is a little set back from the beach, some rooms do have views and the beach is great. Overall I had a nice stay and would certainly return here, really loved the surroundings.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
In midst of stay now - our 12th since Westin affiliation. We abandoned the Wailea Marriott in favor of the Westin Hapuna as our neighbor island getaway due to the elite hostility of the former and the relative welcoming of the latter.

but….it seems now history.
the resort fee no longer even pretends to include anything of value (like parking as it once did). Suite upgrades no longer clear. The breakfast buffet (back as of this morning) no longer includes the hot line for elites as it used to…the best perk of the hotel.

daily housekeeping has resumed and they seem well staffed relative to May.

if you only get the room you pay for and nothing more as a titanium, Wailea may again be a choice due to the fabulous snorkeling, more plentiful restaurants and island feel.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmculp
In midst of stay now - our 12th since Westin affiliation. We abandoned the Wailea Marriott in favor of the Westin Hapuna as our neighbor island getaway due to the elite hostility of the former and the relative welcoming of the latter.

but….it seems now history.
the resort fee no longer even pretends to include anything of value (like parking as it once did). Suite upgrades no longer clear. The breakfast buffet (back as of this morning) no longer includes the hot line for elites as it used to…the best perk of the hotel.

daily housekeeping has resumed and they seem well staffed relative to May.

if you only get the room you pay for and nothing more as a titanium, Wailea may again be a choice due to the fabulous snorkeling, more plentiful restaurants and island feel.
I am thinking of staying here next month. Any idea what the cost of upgrading to hot breakfast is?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
I am thinking of staying here next month. Any idea what the cost of upgrading to hot breakfast is?
$25 per person + $15-$20 tip
small ring likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
$25 per person + $15-$20 tip
During my October 2019 stay (when the full breakfast was complimentary to Plats), the tip was included in the complimentary breakfast benefit (there was a rubber-stamped message to that effect on the "bill").

Has that changed on the current lower-level complimentary breakfast?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
The upgrade is $20 pp and it is only the upgrade (and drinks if ordered) that requires a gratuity - included in the continental base.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:31 pm

The upgrade is $20 pp and it is only the upgrade (and drinks if ordered) that requires a gratuity - included in the continental base.
Inflation: https://places.singleplatform.com/ik...u#menu_2827576
jamesl likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the biggest differences between the Mauna Kea and Hapuna from a Bonvoy Platinum and higher point of view is the breakfast. The Hapuna one is pretty poor whilst the Mauna Kea one is comparable to the breakfast at some of the best Bonvoy hotels in Southeast Asia. This, combined with the MK not having a resort fee make it a no brainer for me, despite the upgrade that Hapuna underwent making the hard product much more of a close call than it was before.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Globalist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
One of the biggest differences between the Mauna Kea and Hapuna from a Bonvoy Platinum and higher point of view is the breakfast. The Hapuna one is pretty poor whilst the Mauna Kea one is comparable to the breakfast at some of the best Bonvoy hotels in Southeast Asia. This, combined with the MK not having a resort fee make it a no brainer for me, despite the upgrade that Hapuna underwent making the hard product much more of a close call than it was before.
It's a no brainer for couples, or adults. If you have kids, the Hapuna is definitely a better spot.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
It's a no brainer for couples, or adults. If you have kids, the Hapuna is definitely a better spot.
The one issue is ocean view. Points only gets you a Golf course view at the Mauna Kea. SNA’s are not really an option here at all, so you’re hoping for a check in upgrade to an ocean view. Or pay an extra $350 per night if available at booking.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, EVA Silver
How long ago was your stay? This was not my experience at Hapuna from Dec 16, last Thursday. Upgrade was $25, and there was no rubber stamp indicating tip was included. We gave a $10 tip on our complimentary breakfast as the "advertised value" was $30/person.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I thought the complimentary Platinum breakfast was delicious. I haven't been to MK so can't compare, but our continental spread included actually fresh fruit, high quality pastries, a well made parfait, oatmeal, and included free coffee and juice.

One more thing -- our stay was covered by my wife's 50k FNC, and she is a lowly Gold. I told the front desk I was Titanium to see if they might recognize the benefit even though FNCs aren't from my account, and they added our names to the Platinum breakfast list as a courtesy. This is not policy as far as I know, so I was very happy they did this for us. Perhaps that put me in a better mood to find the breakfast quite good.

Last edited by jamesl; Dec 20, 2021 at 10:40 pm
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by jamesl
How long ago was your stay? This was not my experience at Hapuna from Dec 16, last Thursday. Upgrade was $25, and there was no rubber stamp indicating tip was included. We gave a $10 tip on our complimentary breakfast as the "advertised value" was $30/person.
Yep the math doesn’t add up.
billed as $30 but upgrade is $25 to a $45 buffet. Not amused. Would much prefer to get daily F&B credit instead like the Courtyard we stayed a few days ago.

Update:
Apparently the Marriott vacation club privilege card 15% discount for food doesn’t apply to buffet upgrade, such BS. Had a very mixed experience from our five night stay.

Last edited by havenyoung; Jan 5, 2022 at 1:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.