Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Globalist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Platinum
Staying here November 20-28th using points. Couple quick questions:
-Are parking fees and resort fees waived for titanium members?
-Any decent affordable places to eat within a 15-20 minute drive?
-What is the availability of Uber on the big island?
-We have 4 people in a room...the website shows an "extra person fee"...is that accurate?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
-We have 4 people in a room...the website shows an "extra person fee"...is that accurate?
They won't wave the parking and resort fees. There are decent places up the hill in Waimea (about 20 mins) to eat as well as a few places in the small town just past the Mauna Kea hotel which should be less that 5 minute drive. Roy's in the Waikaloa Resort area is also good and about 10 mins away. Of course, these places might not be operating as they normally would pre-COVID. I wouldn't plan on Uber or Taxis...rent a car. I don't know about the extra person fees so I can't help you there.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Globalist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
They won't wave the parking and resort fees. There are decent places up the hill in Waimea (about 20 mins) to eat as well as a few places in the small town just past the Mauna Kea hotel which should be less that 5 minute drive. Roy's in the Waikaloa Resort area is also good and about 10 mins away. Of course, these places might not be operating as they normally would pre-COVID. I wouldn't plan on Uber or Taxis...rent a car. I don't know about the extra person fees so I can't help you there.
Thanks so much...we had planned to go with a group of 6, and have 3 in a room, but my father in law isn't up for the trip, so it's myself, my wife and two teenage boys in a room...gonna be crowded, but it beats the weather in Wisconsin! :-)
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Car rentals....

Thanks so much...we had planned to go with a group of 6, and have 3 in a room, but my father in law isn't up for the trip, so it's myself, my wife and two teenage boys in a room...gonna be crowded, but it beats the weather in Wisconsin! :-)
...are one of the few things in Hawaii that are cheap.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...are one of the few things in Hawaii that are cheap.
Thanks...we were planning on renting a mini van for the 6 of us, which was a bit pricey...now we've gone to a jeep and it's less than $500 for 10 days all in...so I'm happy and so are my teenagers! :-)
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
As someone mentioned they won't waive the fees for Titanium members. However, you can get a $5 daily credit put on your bill since the resort fees include free internet. The extra person fee is indeed a real thing.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Waimea has some cheaper options we like:

Waimea Coffee company for breakfast pastries etc.
Dano's Doner
Big Island Brewhaus

Otherwise the happy hour at Lava Lava can be reasonable. I think there are some other happy hours around as well.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:20 am

Much better idea....

Thanks...we were planning on renting a mini van for the 6 of us, which was a bit pricey...now we've gone to a jeep and it's less than $500 for 10 days all in...so I'm happy and so are my teenagers! :-)
...as there are lots of off roading opportunities on the island.
Might be a bit smushed on day 1 with the luggage but after that enjoy.
Just google off roading big island and go crazy...we do it all the time, it can get you away from the crowds
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:21 am

Happy hour is the key in Hawaii...

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Waimea has some cheaper options we like:

Waimea Coffee company for breakfast pastries etc.
Dano's Doner
Big Island Brewhaus

Otherwise the happy hour at Lava Lava can be reasonable. I think there are some other happy hours around as well.
...the other upside, because of the time change you wont even feel like u are eating dinner early.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- At least the full breakfast benefit for Titanium was great last year. I am not sure you need a Jeep on Big Island. Kohala cost is dry and there are not many roads I can think of that would require a Jeep, It is not Kauai.
Going to Waimea for lunch sounds like a waste of time for me. But if you like to save some $$ you can send a member of a team to a Foodland supermarket to get some poke/ poke bow/prep ffood and bring it back. Do not forget to stock up in Costco on the way from the airport.
bsdstone and small ring like this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome poke place a few minutes away:
Hale I'a Da Fish House;
Market at queens mall is probably a default choice for quick grab and go with kids
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plt, OW Blue!
Originally Posted by escapefromphl

Hello, Read on the Hawaii forum that Lava Lava will be closed until Dec15th
bsdstone likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Thanksgiving Dinner Recommendations

Does anyone know if the Westin Hapuna or nearby restaurants are serving a traditional Thanksgiving dinner on the holiday? My web searches on this information have proven unsuccessful—though I did see that Merriman's is offering a prix fixe T-day dinner.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MFtraveler
Does anyone know if the Westin Hapuna or nearby restaurants are serving a traditional Thanksgiving dinner on the holiday? My web searches on this information have proven unsuccessful—though I did see that Merriman's is offering a prix fixe T-day dinner.
I'm here now, and asked at the front desk...they didn't know. They seem pretty overwhelmed with anything other than the basic requests right now, which is kind of understandable given they just reopened.
MFtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:55 am

I'm here now, and asked at the front desk...they didn't know. They seem pretty overwhelmed with anything other than the basic requests right now, which is kind of understandable given they just reopened.
how are things there? is the resort pretty empty or are they packed?

headed there on Sunday - really looking forward to it!

have a great Thanksgiving!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.