Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
That thread is already closed, but I think my thread got merged into this one.

I haven't called to be enrolled in it, but if I get enrolled in Marriott Gold through AMEX, can I still apply for a Platinum challenge? I guess the incentive for me to do it is to have elite benefits while doing the challenge. Like I mentioned before, the timing is a bit bad as it's already August. If I were to initiate the challenge in early September, say September 1st, the I'm assuming I'll have until December 31st to complete my 16 days? If I do complete the challenge by November, I'm assuming I'll get Platinum status for the remainder of this year (not a lot), all of 2020, and then it expires by January 31st, 2021? Am I better off waiting to start the Platinum challenge in January 2020 then to maximize my benefits?

Thanks!
Yes, you can still apply with gold from Amex - I did that a year ago. Not sure about the dates, other FTs will probably help here afterwards.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, United Airlines-Global Services
That thread is already closed, but I think my thread got merged into this one.

I haven't called to be enrolled in it, but if I get enrolled in Marriott Gold through AMEX, can I still apply for a Platinum challenge? I guess the incentive for me to do it is to have elite benefits while doing the challenge. Like I mentioned before, the timing is a bit bad as it's already August. If I were to initiate the challenge in early September, say September 1st, the I'm assuming I'll have until December 31st to complete my 16 days? If I do complete the challenge by November, I'm assuming I'll get Platinum status for the remainder of this year (not a lot), all of 2020, and then it expires by January 31st, 2021? Am I better off waiting to start the Platinum challenge in January 2020 then to maximize my benefits?

Thanks!
Yes if you start the challenge on September 1st you'd have until the end of December to finish it. And yes whenever you finished it you'd get platinum for the remainder of that year plus the entire following year. And finally yes, I'd wait until January to start it if it doesnt matter either way to you.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:24 am

Is this still available? I have a Chase Marriott card and I have 6 days to gold. Assuming I complete gold in September or October, its best to wait until Gold is complete and then enroll, and then if I stay 16 paid days in the rest of October , November or December I'll have Platinum through the time I complete it until end of 2020? Without challenge I think I'll need 25 days on top of Gold.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Is this still available? I have a Chase Marriott card and I have 6 days to gold. Assuming I complete gold in September or October, its best to wait until Gold is complete and then enroll, and then if I stay 16 paid days in the rest of October , November or December I'll have Platinum through the time I complete it until end of 2020? Without challenge I think I'll need 25 days on top of Gold.
You don't need Gold to challenge for Plat.
If you start the challenge today, you'd have the rest of Sept thru end of Dec to meet the challenge.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by chunkalunk
You don't need Gold to challenge for Plat.
If you start the challenge today, you'd have the rest of Sept thru end of Dec to meet the challenge.

Thats awesome. Glad I read your post an hour before midnight. Currently at a 2 night stay, just called so after this stay should only need 14 which I expect to get
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott PLT
Data point for Platinum

As a data point and for anyone out there looking for information...
I started with 0 stays and no status. Through my American Express I was given gold elite but this is not required to get the challenge. You have to call and request it, and if get someone who says it's over or you don't qualify hang up and call again.

The challenge is 16 nights in 3 months. You can stay at any Marriott property but only stays after you enroll count. You can do as many or as few stays as you'd like but must be 16 nights by the end of the month in which 90 days has passed from enrollment. I enrolled mid January and was given until April 30th. Only paid stays count.

My status was updated almost immediately after the final night. Platinum status was something I just wanted to try to see what it was like but there is a huge influx of people so it does not mean what it used to, still better than being Silver so may be worth it. I will be Platinum until the end of 2020 supposedly.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:11 pm

Completed my challenge, status updated about three days later, since the stays took a day or two to post. 16 paid nights, in three months. Can confirm that it is calendar months and not exactly 90 days.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I called to enroll in the Platinum challenge and was granted without any issues. The rep assured me by the end of the phone call, I'll be enrolled, but I won't see anything in my account that will indicate that I'm in the challenge. Is that really true? I was hoping to get some sort of confirmation rather than taking the rep at his words. Anyways, I've already done two stays so 14 more to go!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:51 pm

I called to enroll in the Platinum challenge and was granted without any issues. The rep assured me by the end of the phone call, I'll be enrolled, but I won't see anything in my account that will indicate that I'm in the challenge. Is that really true? I was hoping to get some sort of confirmation rather than taking the rep at his words. Anyways, I've already done two stays so 14 more to go!
I didn't get any type of confirmation, but when I called in to make a reservation, the CSR was able to see I was enrolled as well as my other reservations.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:04 pm

Congrats
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:07 pm

I also got gold from Amex but funny Point was I enrolled my friend with no status for platinum challenge and same day I also enrolled. Both of us got 16 night challenge...so if we are going for platinum challenge it doesn't make any difference if we are gold or if don't have any status
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by luxveritate
I also got gold from Amex but funny Point was I enrolled my friend with no status for platinum challenge and same day I also enrolled. Both of us got 16 night challenge...so if we are going for platinum challenge it doesn't make any difference if we are gold or if don't have any status
It shouldn't matter if you have status or not, I've had at least gold for the past decade. I wasn't going to hit platinum this year without the challenge, however. I shouldn't have issues hitting it next year though, so it's nice to have an option every few years to get platinum without it.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by bk3day
Today, the agent that confirmed my registration, rattled off a bunch of brands and individual properties that do not count towards the Challenge.

I couldn't type fast enough to capture every place mentioned, but those I did catch include, the Cosmopolitan (LAS)...
Bummer that the Cosmo doesn't count, but thanks for the info.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by wayman28
Yes if you start the challenge on September 1st you'd have until the end of December to finish it. And yes whenever you finished it you'd get platinum for the remainder of that year plus the entire following year. And finally yes, I'd wait until January to start it if it doesnt matter either way to you.
My plan was to sign up this month for the Platinum challenge and complete it in January.
So I expected the status to be valid for the rest of the year 2020 plus the year 2021.
When I called yesterday to sign up, I was told that the status would be valid exactly 12 month after I reach it.
I didn‘t sign up after this infomation. Is it new or did I get wrong information?
Is it better to wait another month so I can complete the challenge in February and get almost 2 years of status?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I had time this morning and called Marriott to confirm that I am enrolled in the Platinum challenge and they confirmed that I am. However, I was told that data are not shared in real time. I’m 3 nights away from completing the challenge. I’m hoping to get the Platinum benefit as soon as I complete my 16th night.

Is Marriott going to mail me anything such as a card for achieving Platinum status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.