Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

My 35,000 points October reservation made months ago is now showing on my account at 50,000 points. Anybody else having this problem? What is going to happen?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As long as you haven't changed anything (i.e. move the reservation dates, etc.) then even though the new, higher point total shows, the original point rate will still be valid. This is how Marriott's system has traditionally worked.

If you want to feel better about it, call MR and ask the agent to verify the reservation and that the original point values are still applicable to the reservation.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Legacy system(s) always did this. Additional points won't be taken, your reservation is still good.

Youre reservation is for a Category X. The web page display logic sees X and looks up the points for X in real-time, it doesn't store the points required at the time of reservation with every reservation.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
And if you cancel, you will get back 35K pts, not 50K. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
But what if you haven’t attached a certificate yet? When I called they said they had no way of attaching the old certificates and asked me to call back in a week to see if they had a solution. For that reason, I feel like this time waiting to see what happens won’t produce the desired result.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by margarita girl
And if you cancel, you will get back 35K pts, not 50K. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
While the first sentence above may hold out to be generally true, the latter two sentences may still not hold up as true for all concerned.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mciampa
But what if you haven’t attached a certificate yet? When I called they said they had no way of attaching the old certificates and asked me to call back in a week to see if they had a solution. For that reason, I feel like this time waiting to see what happens won’t produce the desired result.
Were the points actually redeemed/deducted? If so, it's a matter of MR's mechaniucs to work out. It may be time consuming, but I'm confident it will work out.

If you never redeemed a certificate, then there's a bit of a stickier issue. "I intended to redeem the points but never did" before the price went up could be an issue.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
My Stay was 260,000 points, now 392,000 points-HELP

I had booked (prior to 18AUG) a stay at JW Marriott in Phoenix for 260,000 points. I looked at my account now (stay is for October) and it's asking for 392,000 points. Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Were the points actually redeemed/deducted? If so, it's a matter of MR's mechaniucs to work out. It may be time consuming, but I'm confident it will work out.

If you never redeemed a certificate, then there's a bit of a stickier issue. "I intended to redeem the points but never did" before the price went up could be an issue.
The 35,000 points were deducted at the time the reservation was made back in April. No, I did not "redeem a certificate" but I have never clicked on that for any of my Marriot reservations in the past either and there has never been a problem. Thanks, everybody, for your encouraging answers.

Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Can you clarify be this. You had a booking at 260k points and they are now requesting more points? How are they requesting points?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
The reason why more people aren't responding is that this question has been asked and answered several times in other threads. The category for the hotel probably changed. The original reward was probably 260K points. If the certificate was issued before August 18, then there should be no problem. The old certificate would work.

The website is showing the current value of the reward stay now. This is different from demanding point. Again, if the certificate was issued before August 18, then there should be no problem. However, if they didn't attach a certificate to the reservation, then they would have to pay the current value of the reservation at 392K to keep the reservation.

Last edited by jeanie; Sep 5, 2018 at 6:50 pm
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by jeanie
The reason why more people aren't responding is that this question has been asked and answered several times in other threads. The category for the hotel probably changed. The original reward was probably 260K points. If the certificate was issued before August 18, then there should be no problem. The old certificate would work.

The website is showing the current value of the reward stay now. This is different from demanding point. Again, if the certificate was issued before August 18, then there should be no problem. However, if they didn't attach a certificate to the reservation, then they would have to pay the current value of the reservation at 392K to keep the reservation.
I didn't have enough points prior to 18AUG to "pay" for the stay. I still don't have enough, I will by the end of this week or next week (stay in middle OCT). They're now asking for 392,000 pts.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:17 pm

I had a similar issue. Call the Marriott guest services number and they will rectify it.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:34 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
from status.marriott.com
  • Points Advance Reservations: In some instances, Points Advance Reservations made prior to August 18 under the old award chart, incorrectly converted to the new award chart category (costing more points). Please contact us to have your reservation adjusted.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette

The 35,000 points were deducted at the time the reservation was made back in April. No, I did not "redeem a certificate"

Then you should be good, it's just the web presentation logic issue that has existed for a long time, noted above.

Redeeming a certificate is automatic with making the reservation and deducting the points unless you go out of your way to avoid doing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.