Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Was this reservation not cancellable by end of day following day?
From the Confirmation Email I received:

Member Rate Advance Purchase, prepay in full, non-refundable, no changes, see Rate details
The website said something like no changes after booking.

So I'm still chalking it up as a win for the Ambassador team.

-mvitale
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:45 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm starting to feel like things have improved since the Feb rename just in terms of status recognition. I feel like hotels now finally know of our status, and treat us differently as a result. I've been told my the GM of a specific property that they have a room category up to which they'll upgrade Ambassadors complimentary, and it's far beyond what's necessary and required by the terms of the program. (Grand Oceanfront Beach Villas at the Langkawi RC).

I don't have enough Marriott stays since then to call it empirical evidence, so I will report back again in a month when I should have a better idea if this will stick long-term.

On another note: I also recently switched Ambassador and just got my new one a few days ago. I am already liking her better than my previous one, on which I had completely given up by now. He was a nice guy, but he was mostly useless and as of late he just stopped responding to email. I kept him on on several occasions after talking to management about my issues, and I don't know if he heard about it, or whether he got even more busy… but I was going weeks with emails unanswered and had enough. @bhrubin told me I should either ask for a new Ambassador or stop complaining, and I finally did it.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
I've been told my the GM of a specific property that they have a room category up to which they'll upgrade Ambassadors complimentary, and it's far beyond what's necessary and required by the terms of the program. (Grand Oceanfront Beach Villas at the Langkawi RC).
The terms and conditions don't expressly limit upgrades to a given room category or suite category, unless Marriott International has unpublished rules that we don't get to see.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's also different when the hotel would otherwise be overbooked. If someone has to be given the presidential suite to avoid having to walk someone, most hotels will try to prioritize who will get that above and beyond upgrade rather than giving the prime real estate (which might have unique/valuable furnishings and artwork) to some random person.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The terms and conditions don't expressly limit upgrades to a given room category or suite category, unless Marriott International has unpublished rules that we don't get to see.
Not saying they do. But, the fact that Ambassadors get by default upgraded to a premium suite category can be an intangible benefit that is unique to the level. i.e. a Titanium or Platinum wouldn't get the same assignment — they might get an above and beyond assignment to a lesser room.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rules regarding suite upgrades are obviously different at RC for Ambs and Tits, but otherwise have there been reports of Tits getting better or above and beyond upgrades compared to the upgrades that Plats are getting?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mvitale
From the Confirmation Email I received:

The website said something like no changes after booking.

So I'm still chalking it up as a win for the Ambassador team.

-mvitale
Unless you edited the cancellation policy, sounds like yours was not cancellable. Usually they say this:

Member Rate Advance Purchase, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, no changes, see Rate details
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The rules regarding suite upgrades are obviously different at RC for Ambs and Tits ...
In which way are the rules different? There is one, unified program for most of Marriott's brands, Ritz-Carlton included.

Of course, a good property should give ambassadors the highest preference for suite upgrades. One would hope that Ritz-Carlton properties, being almost exclusively managed by Marriott International, would have a better execution of elite status benefits, including upgrades, than third-party managed properties.

With that said, there is nothing in the the terms and conditions that changes the rules or alters the application of the rules with respect to upgrades at Ritz-Carlton properties.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:23 am

IIRC only Ambs and Tits are eligible for suite upgrades at RC according to the new combined Bonvoy program rules.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:24 am

In which way are the rules different? There is one, unified program for most of Marriott's brands, Ritz-Carlton included.

Of course, a good property should give ambassadors the highest preference for suite upgrades. One would hope that Ritz-Carlton properties, being almost exclusively managed by Marriott International, would have a better execution of elite status benefits, including upgrades, than third-party managed properties.

With that said, there is nothing in the the terms and conditions that changes the rules or alters the application of the rules with respect to upgrades at Ritz-Carlton properties.
My post just above is a response to this post.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

I think the prior post was in reference to the fact that Platinum isn’t eligible for suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton (and Edition)—unlike most other brands—while Titaniums and Ambassadors are eligible.

Thus far, I’ve absolutely found Ritz-Carlton treating me as an Ambassador far better than was reported by most Marriott Rewards Plats, Plat Premiers, and even “concierge/Ambassador” elites prior to the Bonvoy integration. I have been upgraded at almos every Ritz-Carlton property at which I’ve stayed, including twice to what normally would be considered a specialty suite that isn’t included in the SOP suite upgrade pools. The only times I wasn’t upgraded to a suite, those hotels were near or at full occupancy.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

My post just above is a response to this post.
IIRC only Ambs and Tits are eligible for suite upgrades at RC according to the new combined Bonvoy program rules.
That's correct, but I assumed you were referring to something else and maybe more specific. Apologizes.

If I recall correctly, only guests with legacy platinum elite status (the equivelent of titanium today) were, technically speaking under the terms and conditions, eligible for suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton in the now-defunct Rewards program.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:50 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Maybe I was wrong...

I just had the most horrendous Marriott stay, and I blame it entirely on my Ambassador and the hotel’s lack of recognition of that status. Everything has gone awry: the air con didn’t work, the hotel screwed up my rate, there was no water in the room, I wasn’t given an upgrade despite an obvious availability of multiple entry level suites on Marriott.com and the app, the food/beverage was disappointing and overpriced on top of it all.

My Ambassador has promised me this would be taken care of, and clearly that went nowhere. My group had similarly poor experiences for their stay.

Sigh. Maybe it’s time to look at Hilton or Hyatt.
txpenny likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I just had the most horrendous Marriott stay, and I blame it entirely on my Ambassador and the hotel’s lack of recognition of that status. Everything has gone awry: the air con didn’t work, the hotel screwed up my rate, there was no water in the room, I wasn’t given an upgrade despite an obvious availability of multiple entry level suites on Marriott.com and the app, the food/beverage was disappointing and overpriced on top of it all.

My Ambassador has promised me this would be taken care of, and clearly that went nowhere. My group had similarly poor experiences for their stay.

Your wonderful Ambassador messed up? Shocking.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 1, 2019 at 7:10 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Nice troll, you almost had me.
C17PSGR, hockeyinsider and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.