Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 1:03 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Hello,

As per the T&C’s of the Bonus Buck coupon you couldn’t use the Bonus Buck and the Visa rewards on the same stay:

This Coupon is not valid toward any rate that requires ID or membership. This Coupon is valid only toward publicly listed rates through the 800 numbers listed. Excludes catering, group, and other contract rates. This Coupon cannot be used in conjunction with any other certificate stay or reservations made using a
travel agency.

Must be a registered guest, and a consecutive two (2) nights paid stay is required. Only one (1)
Coupon is applicable per two (2) nights stay.

However, I was informed by our incentives department that you could make two reservations; one set up for a two night standard rate and one for a one night redemption rate. This would be the only way to use both your incentive's on one stay.

Kind regards,

Marie
Old Mar 12, 2008, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hello,

As per the T&C’s of the Bonus Buck coupon you couldn’t use the Bonus Buck and the Visa rewards on the same stay:

This Coupon is not valid toward any rate that requires ID or membership. This Coupon is valid only toward publicly listed rates through the 800 numbers listed. Excludes catering, group, and other contract rates. This Coupon cannot be used in conjunction with any other certificate stay or reservations made using a travel agency.

Must be a registered guest, and a consecutive two (2) nights paid stay is required. Only one (1)
Coupon is applicable per two (2) nights stay.

However, I was informed by our incentives department that you could make two reservations; one set up for a two night standard rate and one for a one night redemption rate. This would be the only way to use both your incentive's on one stay.

Kind regards,

Marie
Marie -
First, welcome and thank you for your help.

Second, does the "any other certificate stay" have some loophole that allows for usage with other BB certificates? It seems like common practice to use 2 BB certificates on a 4 night stay, and I guess I don't see what I'm trying to do as any different. I understand that I can't use multiple offers to apply to the same nights of a stay (I don't want to stay for 2 nights, use the BB certificate and also get one of those nights free), but since you can use 2 BB certificates for a 4 night stay, I don't see why you can't do something similar. Or is there a technical difference between a "certificate" stay and using a BB "coupon" that is creating the disconnect? Either way, if you can't you can't, and I'll abide by that.

I will, however, express my opinion that it is silly that Marriott is willing to have everyone do extra work (check in, check out, check in) to accomplish the exact same financial outcome that simply saying "as long as you're *paying* for at least two nights, we'll let you use the BB certificate. If you're staying more than those two paid nights, you can use points/certificates/whatever for the other nights, too.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 1:27 pm

[QUOTE=rmagritte;9397354] would two reservations entail checking out and checking back in? /QUOTE]

That should not be a problem if you let the staff know at check-in that you have multiple reservations for consecutive stays.

If you make any changes/requests ( a.k.a upgrade, bed type, CL etc) make sure they apply for both the reservations and you don't have to move in the middle of the stay.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You can get the reservation desk to combine two reservations under one confirmation number. I recommend doing this to reduce any potential problems with needing to switch rooms.

A Bonus Buck can be used with a two night paid reservation. If you use a BOGO coupon, you are only paying for the first night. Although some properties have allowed guests to use a BOGO and a BB for a two night stay, this is not permitted by the T&Cs.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
No reward cert showing after getting Premier card

I got the Marriott Premier Card in late Feb. I was not sure if I would get the bonuses because I already had the regular Marriott card, but I applied anyways.

A couple weeks later I got the 2-for-1 golf cert in the mail, and when my statement cycled I got 20,000 bonus points w/ no problems. The problem is that the Cat. 1-4 e-cert has never showed up in my unused certificates on the website.

So do I have the e-cert and its just not showing up due to a Marriott bug? Or did I never get the cert credited to my account? And if the latter is the case who do I call, Marriott or Chase?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:09 pm

The card T&C says 6 to 8 weeks. Give them 2 more weeks and give a call to Marriott rewards.

credit Card T&C:
"Free Night Stay E-certificate: Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after account opening for your Free Night Stay E-Certificate to be automatically deposited into your Marriott Rewards Account."
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:13 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by maizenblue07
I got the Marriott Premier Card in late Feb. I was not sure if I would get the bonuses because I already had the regular Marriott card, but I applied anyways.

A couple weeks later I got the 2-for-1 golf cert in the mail, and when my statement cycled I got 20,000 bonus points w/ no problems. The problem is that the Cat. 1-4 e-cert has never showed up in my unused certificates on the website.

So do I have the e-cert and its just not showing up due to a Marriott bug? Or did I never get the cert credited to my account? And if the latter is the case who do I call, Marriott or Chase?

Thanks!
Hi maizenblue07,

The Free Night Stay E-Certificate is a one-time bonus offer, valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Visa Cardmembers. Existing Marriott Rewards Visa Cardmembers are not eligible to receive additional e-certificates, so you may not receive the category 1-4 certificate. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Remember, you will receive the Anniversary Free Night Stay E-Certificate, which is valid at category 1-5 hotels, on your account anniversary date.

Kind regards,

Drew
Old May 16, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Disappearing Chase VISA Certificate

I had a certificate available in my Rewards account from the annual renewal on my Chase VISA card. I think it was awarded back in Nov of last year. Now I log in and it is nowhere to be seen. Do these expire that quickly or is there something else going on?
Old May 16, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
They expire 6 months after issue date.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by VA1379
How can we tell when it was issued? So I don't loose it....like last year I forget when my anniv was for the Marriott visa.
Old May 17, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Are you sure it is 6 months?

Originally Posted by VA1379
I booked a room for Feb 2009 and applied the certificate to the room. The agent said OK. If you are correct. I better call. and thank you!
Old May 17, 2008, 5:38 am

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hnewman
I booked a room for Feb 2009 and applied the certificate to the room. The agent said OK. If you are correct. I better call. and thank you!
I've also been told that they expire six months after issued (i.e., you need to use it within six months, not just apply to a future reservation within six months). You most likely cannot use it for Feb '09, if you already have the certificate.

This is an issue with me as my card anniversary date is in February, which prevents me from using it during my annual visits to the UK in the fall.
Old May 18, 2008, 5:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Renard
How can we tell when it was issued? So I don't loose it....like last year I forget when my anniv was for the Marriott visa.

If you call Marriott C/S they can tell you.

Originally Posted by hsh101
I've also been told that they expire six months after issued (i.e., you need to use it within six months, not just apply to a future reservation within six months)..

That is correct. You must USE it within 6 months.
Old May 18, 2008, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Renard
I received my VISA Marriott Rewards card (Black) in early January of this year.

About a weeks or so later the following appeared in the "Activity" section for January of my MR account accessible after I signed in and included among the line items was the following notation::

01/09/08 34A VISA FREE NIGHT CATEGORY 4 0 pts

The Plat reservations line confirmed that its expiration date was 7/9/08.

So, doing the "lookup" around the time of your anniversary date would probably result in finding the date the card became active/unsable and caldulate from that date.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:14 pm

Chase Visa Free Night Cat. 1-4

I made a reservation for one night in July and stated that I wanted to use my Free Night from my credit card. The date was open and the Marriott Rep said that I do not need to bring anything to the hotel. Does this really work? Do I need to bring anything with me??? My confirmation just says Certificate Needed at check in, request noted.
I don't want to have any problems checking in after a long days drive.
Thanks for the help.

CSBM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.