Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by aka Julie
Your certificate will be expiring this month. They are only good for 6 months. Marriott will not extend them past 6 months.
Oh rats! Can I use it in March for an April stay?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Unfortunately, no. You must check in by the expiration date. It will not be extended, since Chase buys the certificates from Marriott. They pay a price, which factors in breakage.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kazakie
I find it pretty amazing there is no induction sent out that you received the cret, the phone #, the T&Cs, how to redeem or anything.

They do put a slip in with all of that information when you recieve your plastic in the mail.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by maizenblue07
They do put a slip in with all of that information when you recieve your plastic in the mail.
Better that than a cert I threw away, I suppose.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Platinum, Avis First
oh man, I was wondering where mine for 2007 was and didn't pay close enough attention to see it posted 5/9/07 so I guess it's expired now.

I guess I should look out for my 08 one
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:15 pm

Maybe it's right in front of me, but I can no longer find the list that shows my certificate now that they revised Marriott's website recently.

Is it just me?

Thanks,

Sheila
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
It's still there. Mine just posted on Monday.

On Marriott.com click on Upcoming Reservations right below the Marriott logo in the upper left portion of your window or click on Change/Cancel Reservations at the very top of the page to the right.

Sign into your account when prompted.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and under the heading Unused Certificates you will find your Premier Visa Certficate listed. Once you make a reservation with it, and it has been attached to an award reservation, it will disappear from the Unused Certificates list.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Just wanted to post that I successfully used my Visa Cat 1-4 cert without any human intervention. I searched for the hotel like I was doing an award reservation and chose a category 4 standard award. I proceeded through the reservation process and on the final page it gave me the option of using the e-cert or points. The e-cert was selected by default. I completed the reservation and enjoyed my stay. No problems at check-in or check-out.

Also interesting to note is that when you get to the page for selecting to use points or e-certs, it tells you the exact expiration date of your cert. So anybody that needs to find out the expiration date can just make a dummy reservation and cancel out at the last page.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:19 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Hello,

Originally Posted by maizenblue07
They do put a slip in with all of that information when you receive your plastic in the mail.
This is correct; you will receive a slip outlining the reward details when you receive your card in the mail.

Originally Posted by jfunk138
Also interesting to note is that when you get to the page for selecting to use points or e-certs, it tells you the exact expiration date of your cert. So anybody that needs to find out the expiration date can just make a dummy reservation and cancel out at the last page.
I would also recommend contacting the Marriott Rewards (801-468-4000). Any of our representatives can quickly review your account and provide you with the details and expiration date of your Visa reward.

Kind regards,

Marie
Old Mar 7, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge

Kind regards,

Marie
Marie, if you haven't already been told this... Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:20 am

Marie,

Is there any way to change the issue date of this certificate each year? I know they are normally issued at the annual renewal date of the card, which happens to be a bad time of year for me to travel. Since they are only good for six months, it is difficult every year for me to find a way to use the certificate.

It would be a nice feature if we could select the start day of the six months in some way. I would have much more opportunity to use it if it were issued mid-year. I didn't realize this would be an issue when I applied or I would have just applied six months later.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sheila
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:22 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no way to choose when the reward is mailed out. It is an automatic issuance at the time of the visa renewal. It's set up to work this way, as the certificate is a reward benefit for keeping the card another year.

Kind regards,

Marie
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:57 pm

Another rewards certificate question...
I have both a free night anniversary award certificate (cat 1-5) and a bonus bucks coupon. The terms of the bonus bucks coupon indicate that you have to have a two night paid stay, which is fine. I have a three night stay coming up and I was hoping to use the certificate to cover one night, leaving a two night paid stay, and since I'm paying for two nights, then I should also be able to use the BB coupon...when I called MR to ask about this they said that I could not combine offers. That seems odd since folks can stay for 4 nights and use 2 BB coupons, so why not stay for 3 nights and use one coupon and one free night?

Also, couldn't I get around this by checking out after 2 nights (using the BB) and then checking right back in for a 1 night stay? Seems like a hassle for everyone involved, but since the room is 280 bucks a night, I'd like to be able to use my certificate...
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You should be able to make 2 reservations. Make one using the free night cert and then make a 2nd reservation for 2 nights using a BOGO usable rate.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
You should be able to make 2 reservations. Make one using the free night cert and then make a 2nd reservation for 2 nights using a BOGO usable rate.
Minor detail, but it's BB not BOGO. More importantly, would two reservations entail checking out and checking back in? That seems like such a hassle -- the outcome is exactly the same to Marriott, why make everyone jump through hoops?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.