Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CSBM
I made a reservation for one night in July and stated that I wanted to use my Free Night from my credit card. The date was open and the Marriott Rep said that I do not need to bring anything to the hotel. Does this really work? Do I need to bring anything with me??? My confirmation just says Certificate Needed at check in, request noted.
I don't want to have any problems checking in after a long days drive.
Thanks for the help.

CSBM
My previous post on this thread (#7) illustrates the Visa E-Certificate being added to my account on 1/9/08.

When I sign in and go to future reservations, the one on which I'm using it includes the following notation (on that reservation's section of the screen with other reservations prior to and subsequent to the one in question:

Reward Description Points Expiration Date
Promotional certificate: — 07/09/08
Reward Rules
Total points for stay: 0

Note that the date next to the words "Promotional Certificate" is six months from the date of issuance of the E-certificate coincident with the issuing of my Chase Visa black card.

I had the certificate attached (to cover the first of four days of an existing reservation) by the Plat Guest Relations (aka MR line at the 800 number indicated on my Plat MR card.

So, there's my confirmation that the electronic certificate was forwarded to the property (of course I'm bringing a hard copy of the reservation with me just in case there are issues at check-in or if I'm billed for the night covered by the certificate.

So sign-in and check your reservation online and make the call if necessary.:
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:57 pm

Difficulty using Visa Free Night Certificate

I signed up for a Premier Marriott Rewards Visa a few months back, knowing that I would be taking a trip to Europe in September and would be staying at some Marriott properties. The reward certificate is for Marriott properties in categories 1-4, and I made sure that the properties I wanted to stay at were in that range.

Two days in a row I have made calls to try to get a reservation at different category 4 properties in different cities. I even told them I was flexible on the dates and gave them a date range. Each time I was told that the reward certificate wasn't available at those hotels for those days, even though the hotel does have rooms available on those days. I asked them what the criteria was because I was getting tired of making a fool of myself each time I call to make a reservation. The CSR told me that "standard hotel rewards" must be available for that hotel on those days in order to use the certificate.

Has anyone else had trouble finding a hotel that they can use the visa free night cert on? It isn't like I'm trying to book it only a day in advance. I'm doing it 3 months in advance. It shouldn't be this hard.

The certificate must be used in 6 months or it is voided. Since I was charged $70 for this credit card in order to get this certificate, I decided to call Visa and complain that the reward is useless to me since Marriott won't accept it at any of the category 4 hotels I want to stay. I told them I wanted a refund. The Visa CSR said "Those are rules of the card agreement. We can't refund you your card fee just because Marriott isn't accepting the cert. It is their responsibility to accept their own certs."

Do I have any options here? I was actually planning on staying at a couple different Marriott properties (and paying full price) on my trip, but now I'm so upset I think I will switch and find starwood hotels in those areas. I've also been using my visa card a lot to accumulate Marriott points, but they seem pretty worthless to me now so I think I will cancel the card. Not giving them my business anymore seems like my only way of getting justice, unless someone can recommend something.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You can use the certificate as long as it shows standard rewards available online (not stay anytime). I would suggest that you find an available day online and make a reward reservation online using points. Then, you can call the reservation line and ask the reservation agent to substitute the Visa certificate for the point certificate attached to your award.

Chase buys the certificates from Marriott, and they will not refund the annual fee of $65. Marriott's standard award availability is capacity controlled, and it is easier to redeem for Marriott awards if you have a flexible schedule.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:27 pm

I have a flexible schedule but am finding no luck in the cities I want to stay in, for any of the days I will be there. Is there a list somewhere of category 3 or 4 hotels sorted by country?

It is hard not to feel like this whole thing is a scam. They are offering a reward with a quick expiration date that they know people can't redeem anyway even if they try.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
I think you might be new to MR and that's causing you some frustration in using the cert. To find a standard award, you can do this fat Marriott's website. Look for a room and check the option that says use points. Then it'll tell you the available hotels and the category and type of reward (regular, Stay Anytime, or PointSavers).

To see a list of hotels by category, go to the use points page (http://www.marriott.com/rewards/use-points.mi) then click on "Hotel category grid." In the window that pops up, at the very top is the option to "View hotels in each category:" You can select a category and hit find, it'll list all the hotels in that category. They are sorted by Country and State (in the US) but I don't know how to look for only a particular country.

PS: I am planning to use my annual cert at a Cat 4 Renaissance which has a room rate of $280 a night. The awards are available, but I haven't booked it yet that's why I say planning.

Last edited by AnalogMan; Jun 27, 2008 at 3:45 pm Reason: Added PS
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You can click on a link to sort hotels by category after you type in the city and country to search. There are links on the bottom left hand corner that allow you to sort available properties based on single categories (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, ...etc.).

If you are searching for award nights during the summertime in Europe, it will be harder on Marriott because many travelers are redeeming for free nights (due to Marriott's capacity controls). What are the dates that you are traveling and where are you looking for awards? You might want to consider using it for a property in the United States if you cannot find one in Europe.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dshaz
I have a flexible schedule but am finding no luck in the cities I want to stay in, for any of the days I will be there. Is there a list somewhere of category 3 or 4 hotels sorted by country?
Yes, at marriott.com.

1. On their home page enter your city and country, or just country, and click the Find button. You can also put dates in if you desire, and check the box next to where it says Use Marriot Reward Points if you actually want to search for availability.

2. When the Search Results page comes up in the left column click the category you desire (at bottom of the left column).

As already mentioned do this to find an available night and then call reservations to actually book your award reservation.

You should be able to find availability in September, although that is when business travel picks up. Now September in Germany will probably be impossible as that is Oktoberfest, and any available award nights were probably taken late last year. Good luck.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:43 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you post your dates and hotels you want to stay at, one of us here could check the website for you.... we are a friendly lot...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes we are but sadly welcome to the sad reality of the Marriott Rewards program, the actual redemption of [points and rewards in popular places during popular times.

A $99 Residence Inn room in February in Massachusetts, no problem, anytime.

A $300 FS or better in the summer, better plan ahead 50 weeks or get extremely lucky.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had some similar issues when I used my Visa certificate a while back...Marriott didn't make it too easy. I had to call and talk to several different customer service reps to get it sorted out.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:29 pm

I am sorry to say that it is partly my fault, and those like me, that award availabilty is low. I am one of those that reserves rooms 11 months in advance. I have had excellent results. It takes planning, some work and also flexibilty. The results: 3 weeks this past ski season, and 3.5 weeks booked for next ski season at Vail Marriott ($509/night). 4 nights a couple weeks ago at at Paris Champs Elysees ($800-1000/night) - note: this one I had to plan the trip based on award availabilty. 2 nights in December at Hong Kong JW Marriot ($450/night). Your right about those $300/night FS Marriotts though, they are difficult to use points at... return price per points are way too low.

Oh, and the Visa coupon I am using in the UK this summer (booked a couple months ago).

To the OP, I hope you are able to find something that meets your needs.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:02 am

I just used my award from the Marriott visa. I made a reservation online for the courtyard in Rome and it asked me if I wanted to attach my free night award. This is new and very easy. I don't know when it changed but it is great. The last couple of times we used them we just made standard awards online and used the certificate when we checked in.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I had no problem using my Visa cert for an August stay at CbM Niagara Falls in August (peak travel season) (My cert is good for Cat 1-5 as I have the "good" Visa card and am in year 3). But Europe in summer is like Vail during ski season or Hawaii over Christmas week - kind of the holy grail of miles/points bookings. Normally I am like aaupgrade and book 330/350 days out. Going to the Grand Canyon next July - will book room at Bright Angel Lodge July 1st when they come online. Not anytime July 1st but right after the alarm goes off at 6 AM.

I have enjoyed weeks at Vail Marriott (x2), Kauai Marriott, and Waikoloa Marriott on points - all a matter of advance planning.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by awb824
I just used my award from the Marriott visa. I made a reservation online for the courtyard in Rome and it asked me if I wanted to attach my free night award. This is new and very easy.
I vaguely remember someone else alluding to this a while back. Glad to have it confirmed that it is now an option. So no need for OP to call reservations, as it can be done online (if the certificate is electronic, which I assume it is).

gardner - it's all our fault.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:24 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The ability to search by hotel category made it a lot easier (that feature is a kind of hidden though if you ask me). I'm going to be overseas for an entire month, but the only redemption I was able to find was an airport Marriott on the night before I leave to come back to the states. Oh well, at least I found something that will work for me that won't be out of my way.

I'm still not that happy with the program, but I guess I won't completely abandon my plans to use Marriott in the future. I think I'll still pay to stay at the Ghent Marriott Hotel in Belgium while on my trip.

The rest of my business is going to go to Starwood for the time being though. Their reward program makes me a feel a little better than marriott's does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.